GA-M59SLI-S5 Question regarding USB channels

Flashfox

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Per the manual, I have 10x USB ports that are available. I am using 6x of them now. One of these also supports an external USB2 Hub.

Since I installed the USB based BOSE Companion 5 sound system, I now encounter an error message when I start my Logitech QuickCam STX camera in Skype. It tells me that I don't have enough bandwidth left.

It then shows me two channels. One (Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller) at 11% and the other (OpenHCD USB Host Controller) is at 95%-100%.

Question: I checked through the manual and unless I missed something, I did not find how to determine which USB ports are on which channel so that I can balance the load? (As suggestd by the Windows error message).

fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Im running the same board as you are. Right now, I only have the front case USB hook up and a internal media card reader. My distrib shows the open HCD at 23% and the enhanced PCi at 10%. Which one is which I can only guess at as the USB pins are all grouped. The manual says 3 USB connectors for 6 additionalUSB ports by cables.
I suppose you could adjust them, but even Gigabytes website doesnt have that info.

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
At a quick guess I'd say the varying channels (although this is the first i've heard of them!) are the ports resident to the board on the back panel, and the ones that require manual attaching when the pc was built, these usually reside at the front but sometimes have their own pci slot.

Attach the BOSE to the back panel and the camera to one either on the front or in a pci slot space and see what happens.

Flashfox

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I finally managed to get everything to work by plugging the BOSE Companion 5 system to one of the rear USB jacks and and the camera through an external hub connected to another rear USB jack. Now the loads are better balanced and I no longer have the error.

So it seems like the two USB pais on the back are on different channels. The front jacks are add-ons to one of the rear channels. At least this is what I empirically concluded :lol: