Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
What i want to know is what kind of screwy metal will melt at like 40c.

The Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad Thermal Interface Pad is the first heat conduction pad composed of 100% metal and melts with heat from the processor (Burn In-process), and then it performs superior heat transfer.

some solders will melt at that temp and should have a very low surface tension so fill all the surface defects in.

However, I wouldn't want to have to remove the processor afrerwards, reusing either the proc, or the HS would be tricky and need a lot of cleaning.

Also if it continues to remelt every time the processor gets warm, that doesn't sound too great.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Murcury is a metal and is in a liquid form at relativly low temps.

Yeah, but i dont think it could be used in this pad, it had a melting point of -38 °C. It would already by a liquid if you let it sit at room temp. Gallium might work, it melts at 30 °C, so that you probably work fairly well. Caesium would work too, it melts at 28°C, but using a water cooling system with a caesium based thermal pad is pretty much suicide, caesium is highly explosive if it comes in contact with water. Its pretty toxic as well.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah, some caesium isotopes are slightly radioactive. wtf is pottasium? Do you mean Potassium? Or plutonium? Or is pottasium somekind of crazy pot-like element? :D

spelling is a bit ropey on a sunday I know, the alkaine metal, lithium, potassium etc. Never really got into chemistry that much after we ended up with 3 supply teachers, all of whom had accidents after our first teacher went a bit mad and dissappeared for 12 months. I still remember bits and pieces of it though.

drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
The Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad consists of metals only and no not-metallic additives. The state of the Liquid MetalPad change (melting) at approximately 58°C from solid to liquid.
Alternative installations
Beside the presented varieties of installation there are many other possibilities, to melt the Liquid MetalPad between for example the processor and the cooler. Very effective is the short-term application of hot-air pistols / standard hair-dryer, which heat the cooler precise. Please note that you regulate this according to the capacity of the unit and that you only heat precise the cooling element. This method works especially at air cooler with fins / heat-pipe function. A short-term heating of the cooler up to approx. 60°C leads to the wanted result. Please note that it is rather advise against the usage of hot-air units with water cooler. Alternative methods like you were presented are at one`s own risk.
and my favorite
Removing of the Liquid MetalPad
If you want to remove the Liquid MetalPad, you can peel it off the contact area carefully. It depends on the structure of the surface if the peel off is very easy and leave only small residues or not. You can remove these fast and simple with a metal grinding pad. In the set which Coollaboratory sells is a high-quality metal grinding pad included.
Please note that you doens’t exert to much pressure with the metal grinding pad to avoid a warranty deficit!
But you can also leave the residues in the depressions on the contact areas, because they rather improve the cooling performance when using other pastes.
The products of Coollaboratory contain no mercury and no poisonous heavy metals, e.g. lead or Kadmium. They are non-polluting, not inflammably, not explosively and it form none would soften themselves.

drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Content materials:

INDIUM CAS-Nr.: 7440-74-6 EG-Nr.: 231-180-0
COPPER CAS-Nr.: 7440-50-8 EG-Nr.: 231-159-6
BISMUTH CAS-Nr.: 7440-69-9 EG-Nr.: 231-177-4

9.1 Appearance

Form: Liquid metal alloy - solid
Color: silver
Odor: odorless

9.2 Safety-relevant data

Type Sign
pH-value (20 °C) - not applicable
Melting point (°C) - 59°C
Boiling point (°C) - > 1350 °C
Inflammability (°C) - not applicable
flash point (°C) - not applicable
Vapor pressure (°C) - <10-8Torr at 500 °C
Density (g/cm3) - 8,29 g/cm3
bulk density (kg/m3) - not applicable
Solubility in water ( 20°C in g/l) -insoluble
Solubility in organic solvents - insoluble
upper explosion limit - not applicable
lower explosion limit - not applicable

just an update (its been a while). contacted them, and they sent me a data sheet

TRENDING THREADS