I have XP Home -but it says NT

*Ok, so I dont get it. Am I just not understanding XP?
I clearly see that XP Home is insalled (with SP1 & SP2)
Yet when I try to run simple programs, it says that it's (they)
are not compatible for NT. What is NT? Someone, please help me out.
:eek: *

--
AlexHolzl

Hi,

WindowsXP is an NT-based system (progression from WinNT-->Win2000-->WinXP)
as opposed to a 9x system (Win95/98/ME). Try installing in compatibility
mode, you will find this feature under programs/accessories.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

AlexHolzl <AlexHolzl.1kwme1@pcbanter.net> wrote in news:AlexHolzl.1kwme1
@pcbanter.net:

> *Ok, so I dont get it. Am I just not understanding XP?
> I clearly see that XP Home is insalled (with SP1 & SP2)
> Yet when I try to run simple programs, it says that it's (they)
> are not compatible for NT. What is NT? Someone, please help me out.
>:eek: *

Pretty simple. Either the program's are older than XP, or they incorrectly
identify WindowsXP as Windows NT, as it really is NT5(?).

WindowsNT WAS the 'professional' O/S, in NT Server and NT Workstation
flavors, as opposed to Windows 9x. The non-NT versions of windows still
required DOS, and were loaded on top of DOS. NT-based system's on the other
hand, did not run on top of DOS.

Not accurate. Don't confuse 'NT' with Windows NT 4 in this context. In the
context of the OP's question, 'NT' is a pedigree and not a version. 'NT' =
'New Technology'. In this context, NT is newer than 9x/ME because 9x/ME is
no longer being developed and NT now extends through Windows Server 2003
(Win 5.2).

AlexHolzl <AlexHolzl.1kwme1@pcbanter.net> typed:

> *Ok, so I dont get it. Am I just not understanding XP?
> I clearly see that XP Home is insalled (with SP1 & SP2)
> Yet when I try to run simple programs, it says that it's (they)
> are not compatible for NT. What is NT? Someone, please help me
> out.

Over the years there have been two lines of Windows products from
Microsoft (minor variations left out):

1. The consumer line

Windows 1
Windows 2
Windows 3
Windows 3.1
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows Me

2. The professional line

Windows NT 3.1
Windows NT 3.5
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000 (really Windows NT 5.0 under the hood)
Windows XP (really Windows NT 5.1 under the hood)

Windows XP was the first product in the NT line to come in two
versions--Home and Professional. This is Microsoft's unification
of the two lines.

So yes, you're running Windows NT.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in

> Not accurate. Don't confuse 'NT' with Windows NT 4 in this context.
> In the context of the OP's question, 'NT' is a pedigree and not a
> version. 'NT' = 'New Technology'. In this context, NT is newer than
> 9x/ME because 9x/ME is no longer being developed and NT now extends
> through Windows Server 2003 (Win 5.2).

I didn't confuse anyhting here. I did state that XP was NT5, and don't
think I mentioned anything about NT4.0. I did state that the offending
program was older than XP, or incorrectly identified XP as NT, probably
because the function call looking for the version looks at any result
greater than 4 as being NT, which returns 5, while XP returns 6. If the
code says 'if version > 4 then it's NT' it will incorrectly identify it as
Windows NT.

DanS

AlexHolzl wrote:
> *Ok, so I dont get it. Am I just not understanding XP?
> I clearly see that XP Home is insalled (with SP1 & SP2)
> Yet when I try to run simple programs, it says that it's (they)
> are not compatible for NT. What is NT? Someone, please help me out.

NT is the result of a cooperation between Microsoft and IBM, which then
split and ended up in two different products: Microsoft Windows NT (New
Technology) 3.11 (which was effectively Windows 3.11 with a new core
replacing MS-DOS) and IBM OS/2. NT was later succeeded by various versions
up to 3.51. Then came NT 4.0, which was NT with the Windows 4.0 interface
(also used in Windows 95). Before release NT 5.0 was rebranded to "Windows
2000", with the tagline "built on NT technology". This tagline has been
slightly toned down since then, but for all purposes Windows XP == Windows
NT 5.1 with a fancy name.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
> AlexHolzl wrote:
>> *Ok, so I dont get it. Am I just not understanding XP?
>> I clearly see that XP Home is insalled (with SP1 & SP2)
>> Yet when I try to run simple programs, it says that it's (they)
>> are not compatible for NT. What is NT? Someone, please help me out.
>
> NT is the result of a cooperation between Microsoft and IBM, which then
> split and ended up in two different products: Microsoft Windows NT (New
> Technology) 3.11 (which was effectively Windows 3.11 with a new core
> replacing MS-DOS) and IBM OS/2. NT was later succeeded by various versions
> up to 3.51. Then came NT 4.0, which was NT with the Windows 4.0 interface
> (also used in Windows 95). Before release NT 5.0 was rebranded to "Windows
> 2000", with the tagline "built on NT technology". This tagline has been
> slightly toned down since then, but for all purposes Windows XP == Windows
> NT 5.1 with a fancy name.

And MS based that NT(FS) technology on the filing system which was IBM's
HPFS, and locked out anything HPFS from using NTFS.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/ntfs/over-c.html

" Before there was Windows NT, there was OS/2. OS/2 was a joint project of
Microsoft and IBM in the early 1990s; the two companies were trying to
create the next big success in the world of graphical operating systems.
They succeeded, to some degree, depending on how you are measuring success.
:^) OS/2 had some significant technical accomplishments, but suffered from
marketing and support issues. Eventually, Microsoft and IBM began to
quarrel, and Microsoft broke from the project and started to work on Windows
NT. When they did this, they borrowed many key concepts from OS/2's native
file system, HPFS, in creating NTFS "

Ken Blake wrote:

> Over the years there have been two lines of Windows products from
> Microsoft (minor variations left out):
>
> 1. The consumer line
>
> Windows 1
> Windows 2
> Windows 3
> Windows 3.1
> Windows for Workgroups 3.11
> Windows 95
> Windows 98
> Windows Me
>
> 2. The professional line
>
> Windows NT 3.1
> Windows NT 3.5
> Windows NT 4.0
> Windows 2000 (really Windows NT 5.0 under the hood)
> Windows XP (really Windows NT 5.1 under the hood)
>
> Windows XP was the first product in the NT line to come in two
> versions--Home and Professional. This is Microsoft's unification
> of the two lines.
>
> So yes, you're running Windows NT.

Just one quibble, Ken. I think Windows for Workgroups was aimed more
at the business/professional market than at the consumer market. Very
few people had home networks in those days.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

One of the oddities of WFW is that I bought a Packard Bell (keeping a
straight face here) with WFW preinstalled. Even though WFW 3.11 was on my
computer at work, the splash screen on my PB very clearly stated WFW 3.12.
Now, WFW 3.12 was a Far East version as far as I know and I never ran across
any other brands shipping with 3.12. I wonder if PB hacked it.

In news:ufR6GBhGFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Bruce Chambers <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>

>> Over the years there have been two lines of Windows products
>> from
>> Microsoft (minor variations left out):
>>
>> 1. The consumer line
>>
>> Windows 1
>> Windows 2
>> Windows 3
>> Windows 3.1
>> Windows for Workgroups 3.11
>> Windows 95
>> Windows 98
>> Windows Me
>>
>> 2. The professional line
>>
>> Windows NT 3.1
>> Windows NT 3.5
>> Windows NT 4.0
>> Windows 2000 (really Windows NT 5.0 under the hood)
>> Windows XP (really Windows NT 5.1 under the hood)
>>
>> Windows XP was the first product in the NT line to come in two
>> versions--Home and Professional. This is Microsoft's
>> unification
>> of the two lines.
>>
>> So yes, you're running Windows NT.
>>

> Just one quibble, Ken. I think Windows for Workgroups was
> aimed more
> at the business/professional market than at the consumer
> market. Very
> few people had home networks in those days.

Perhaps so, but nevertheless it was part of the Windows 3.x line
as opposed to the NT line.

DanS wrote:
> I didn't confuse anyhting here. I did state that XP was NT5

Windows 2000 is NT 5. XP is NT 5.1, 2003 is 5.2. I believe the expected
Longhorn is supposed to be NT 6.0.

kelly

hi ,im having many problems with mine xp too so would welcome any advice you
recieve,
kelly

"AlexHolzl" wrote:

> *Ok, so I dont get it. Am I just not understanding XP?
> I clearly see that XP Home is insalled (with SP1 & SP2)
> Yet when I try to run simple programs, it says that it's (they)
> are not compatible for NT. What is NT? Someone, please help me out.
> :eek: *
>

> --
> AlexHolzl

Start a new thread and describe you computer and your issues.

"kelly" <kellypotticary@msn.com> wrote in message
> hi ,im having many problems with mine xp too so would welcome any advice
> you
> recieve,
> kelly
>
> "AlexHolzl" wrote:
>

>> *Ok, so I dont get it. Am I just not understanding XP?
>> I clearly see that XP Home is insalled (with SP1 & SP2)
>> Yet when I try to run simple programs, it says that it's (they)
>> are not compatible for NT. What is NT? Someone, please help me out.
>> :eek: *
>>

>> --
>> AlexHolzl

kelly

how do i do that?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Start a new thread and describe you computer and your issues.

> "kelly" <kellypotticary@msn.com> wrote in message
> > hi ,im having many problems with mine xp too so would welcome any advice
> > you
> > recieve,
> > kelly
> >
> > "AlexHolzl" wrote:
> >

> >> *Ok, so I dont get it. Am I just not understanding XP?
> >> I clearly see that XP Home is insalled (with SP1 & SP2)
> >> Yet when I try to run simple programs, it says that it's (they)
> >> are not compatible for NT. What is NT? Someone, please help me out.
> >> :eek: *
> >>

> >> --
> >> AlexHolzl

Kelly

Older programs written before XP will recognise the kernel of XP as being NT
because it essentially is.. NT is the parent operating system..

For other problems, a description will be necessary..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"kelly" <kellypotticary@msn.com> wrote in message
> hi ,im having many problems with mine xp too so would welcome any advice
> you
> recieve,
> kelly
>
> "AlexHolzl" wrote:
>

>> *Ok, so I dont get it. Am I just not understanding XP?
>> I clearly see that XP Home is insalled (with SP1 & SP2)
>> Yet when I try to run simple programs, it says that it's (they)
>> are not compatible for NT. What is NT? Someone, please help me out.
>> :eek: *
>>

>> --
>> AlexHolzl

Kelly

First decide on the title.. if you have licensing issues, then that is what
you type as a subject..

Then in the large white part, you describe your problems.. try to be clear
and concise.. if you have many issues, start ne paragraphs.. don't use vague
statements like "I have a program which.. "..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

How to post.. http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> how do i do that?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Start a new thread and describe you computer and your issues.
>>
>> --
>> "kelly" <kellypotticary@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > hi ,im having many problems with mine xp too so would welcome any
>> > advice
>> > you
>> > recieve,
>> > kelly

To kelly- To start a new thread, go to the far left and click on New Post.
To Axel and kelly - NT=New Technology and I believe means anything more
advanced than WIN98SE.
To Axel- For older programs, there is Win95 compatability mode which one
of
the MS-MVP's can explain.
Hope this helps.
"kelly" <kellypotticary@msn.com> wrote in message
> how do i do that?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Start a new thread and describe you computer and your issues.
>>
>> --
>> "kelly" <kellypotticary@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > hi ,im having many problems with mine xp too so would welcome any
>> > advice
>> > you
>> > recieve,
>> > kelly

It has removed 0 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

In news:uIiVEzxMFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
riverdogs05 <rwplace@emcs.net> typed:

> To Axel and kelly - NT=New Technology

Actually, although "NT" originally stood for "New Technology,"
Microsoft's stance these days is that it doesn't stand for
anything.

> and I believe means
> anything more advanced than WIN98SE.

No, that was never accurate. NT is a particular family of
operating systems, and it has nothing to do with the age or
advancement of the operating system. Some NT versions are older
than WIndows 98SE, others are newer. And not all those which are
newer are in the NT family (for example, Windows Me is not).

Please reply to the newsgroup

hey,
windows xp is built on nt technology.....
NT is the earlier version such as windows nt
here it means the programs which you are trying to run is not meant for your
operating system ( xp)

"kelly" <kellypotticary@msn.com> wrote in message
> hi ,im having many problems with mine xp too so would welcome any advice
you
> recieve,
> kelly
>
> "AlexHolzl" wrote:
>

> > *Ok, so I dont get it. Am I just not understanding XP?
> > I clearly see that XP Home is insalled (with SP1 & SP2)
> > Yet when I try to run simple programs, it says that it's (they)
> > are not compatible for NT. What is NT? Someone, please help me out.
> > :eek: *
> >

> > --
> > AlexHolzl

TRENDING THREADS