Sign in with
Your question

What would i need to set up a Dual boot XP and Vista?

Last response: in Storage
February 4, 2007 12:47:38 PM

Hi, im definitely sticking with xp for now for obvious reasons. The biggest one i gaming performance. But i also want to have vista because it looks cool and has a few good features. I was wondering how id set it up. Do i need two different hard drives? Then what?

More about : set dual boot vista

February 4, 2007 1:26:10 PM

well 2 hard drives is nice as more space you can always just partition the one you have look on Google for a guide how to partition the drive make sure its of big enough size also if you hard drive is already nearly full get a new one as a vista install is around 10gig from when i last checked
Related resources
February 6, 2007 10:47:45 AM

If you have two hard drives or a HDD parition with enough free space, then all you have to do is install Vista and away you go. Not that Vista doesn't use the old boot.ini anymore. So getting rid of the new boot manager is a little more of a pain in the ass.

If you decide after a while to remove vista, you can boot from your XP cd and tell it to repair your boot sector and that should be enough to get rid of Vista's boot manager.

This worked for me, but your mileage may vary
February 6, 2007 12:05:51 PM

I have a raid 0 setup for my XP and i added another 80GB HD so i can mess around with vista. Vista would read the drive but it would tell me that i couldnt install it, so i had to load the vista drivers in order to install vista on my other drive. So if you have a similar setup make sure you have the vista raid drivers in case you need them.
February 6, 2007 12:07:24 PM

m doing this right now its easy make two partitions (or two disks) install xp on one, then install vista on the other. it will then give you the option earlier version of windows or Windows Vista (why it doesnt recognise XP i dont know)
February 6, 2007 12:43:47 PM

Quote:
I have a raid 0 setup for my XP and i added another 80GB HD so i can mess around with vista. Vista would read the drive but it would tell me that i couldnt install it, so i had to load the vista drivers in order to install vista on my other drive. So if you have a similar setup make sure you have the vista raid drivers in case you need them.

That is a good advise. Thanks a lot!

I assume your new 3rd disk (80GB) is out of the stripe set, right?
February 6, 2007 12:44:18 PM

I'm dual booting both at moment. Its a very easy process. I had XP installed on one of my hard disks (new system 1 month ago with 2 hdd). Then inserted the vista home premium oem disk i bought into the dvd burner, booted from that optical drive and installed vista to the second hard drive which was empty, and unpartitioned. My machine only took 5 mins to install the OS. Then whenever you boot the machine up you get the choice to leave it and boot into vista, or change it a boot to older version of windows (XP)
February 6, 2007 1:42:11 PM

If you use the Vista bootloader and wish to go back to XP you can just insert the Vista DVD and run the bootsect.exe utility in the \boot\ directory of the DVD. Run bootsect.exe /help for details.
February 6, 2007 3:53:57 PM

Quote:

That is a good advise. Thanks a lot!

I assume your new 3rd disk (80GB) is out of the stripe set, right?

That is correct. My 3rd hard drive which is 80GB is not raided with withe other 2 160GB's that i have in raid. Its strange that vista would ask for my raid drivers but it works.
February 6, 2007 4:12:28 PM

lots of luck? XD
sorry dude, couldnt resist
:lol: 
February 6, 2007 4:48:21 PM

Im going to installed a 3rd 120gb hdd soon and just install vista on that. Similar to the idea of just 2 HDD's, I just have one for XP, one for Vista, and one for xtra storage for both. I think you would be best off with an xtra hard drive, but thats just me.

Best,

3Ball
!