Sync Problems With Home/Work Computer

May 2, 2005 10:48:58 AM

Folks,

In an earlier post, I stated that I was a Palm user getting ready to
go to a PocketPC.

Someone loaned me a spare PocketPC he had so I could try it out, and
see how I like it.

My issue is this:

Using the Palm/Outlook/Chapura Pocket Mirror combo, I was able to have
the following items on my home PC in Outlook:

Personal Items (Marked Private)
Business Items (Not marked Private)

When I synced to my Palm at home, I synced everything. Now my Palm
has:

Personal Items (Marked Private)
Business Items (Not marked Private)

Now I go to work. There I use the same combo (Palm/Outlook/Chapura
Pocket Mirror), with the exception that I set Chapura not to sync any
items marked private from my Palm. So when I sync my work PC with my
Palm, I get on my work PC:

Business Items (Not marked Private)

and do not have my private marked items stored on my work PC. The
only gotcha here was that Outlook does not have a private flag for
notes, and so after syncing the notes to my Palm, I had to manually
mark personal notes as private.

Now, when I change things at home of a personal nature, I sync it to
my Palm, but not to my work computer.

When I change things at work, it gets synced to my Palm and my PC at
home.

CAN I DO SOMETHING SIMILAR WITH ACTIVESYNC?

So far I have not been able to figure out how.

I have tried making a standard partnership with my home PC as well as
my "work" PC (I am trying this at home on a second computer) between
the PC's and the PocketPC. I didn't see the opportunity to use the
private flag, but I did see that you could set ActiveSnyc to sync only
certain categories in the different groupings (i.e. Contacts,
Calendar, Tasks). So I changed the categories on my home PC to
reflect if they were personal or business.

So again, on my home PC:

Personal Items (Category: Personal, as well as marked private)
Business Items (Category: Business, not marked private)

I synced everything with the PocketPC at "home", and got on the
PocketPC the following:

Personal Items (Category: Personal)
Business Items (Category: Business)

This is what I expected.

Now I set up a secondary standard partnership with the "work" PC.
Unfortunately, I could not tell it to sync the personal category
because it has no knowlege of the categtories used on the PocketPC
until it has synced with it first time.

So the 1st time I sync the PocketPC with the "work" PC, I synced
everything, so it can get the categories.

Of course, now on my work PC, I have:

Personal Items (Category: Personal)
Business Items (Category: Business)

which is not what I wanted.

IS THERE ANYWAY AROUND THAT?

So, I thought, I will set the work PC to now only sync Business
category, delete the personal items off my work PC, and be in
business.

So I delete the personal items on my work PC, and set the sync to do
only the business category.

So, now, on the work PC, I have:

Business Items (Category: Business)

and on the Pocket PC, I have (before the sync, which I set to manual):

Personal Items (Category: Personal)
Business Items (Category: Business)

After the sync, on the PocketPC, I now have:

Business Items (Category: Business)

and no Personal Items!!!. Didn't I tell the work PC to only sync
Business category?

And of course, if I sync the Pocket PC with my home PC, now I get at
home:

Business Items (Category: Business)

and all my personal information is gone!!!

Fortunately, I backed up the Outlook contents to a .PST file before
all this.

I would like this to work the same as the Palm did, as I like a lot of
features that the PocketPC has. However, this is a real show stopper
for me right now.

On the aforementioned post, "xfiler" said that there were 3rd party
apps to deal with this problem.

WHAT ARE THE 3RD PARTY APPS, AND WHO MAKES THEM?

I did a brief search on the internet, and all I could find was apps
for the Palm.

I figured that Microsoft would be able to work out a problem like
this, but I guess not, hence the need for the 3rd party apps.

OR, AM I JUST MISSING SOMETHING OBVIOUS?

Its happened before!

Thanks to all in advance,

The Nth Traveler
-----------------------
Get rid of 1st and 3rd words before at sign to reply by email
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:17:05 PM

I believe "intellisync" would help this problem, but I
don't know - I am only familiar with this program as it's
been suggested by others. There are dozens of PIM
managers out there to help, I would suggest checking
www.pocketpcfreewares.com, or handango, or look under
www.pocketpcmag.com list of sites for software sites.

I don't personaly sync between computers, but having
worked with activesync for quite a while - I find it's a
very problematic program that just needs to be overhauled.

HTH, let me know,

xfiler

!