looking for wireless router

drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
i have been looking for a wireless router for about a month. i came across one on newegg, its the linksys wrt54g for 39.99 after rebate. after doing some research i found out that it's a really bad router. can anyone recomend a router for about the same price? or i was thinking about getting the wrt54gs (59.99 after rebate)? any recomendations? (i will be using it for sharing an internet connection, file/print sharing, and some gaming) also whats the difference between the wrt54gl and the wrt54g?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I think calling the LinksysWRT54G "really bad" is a bit strong (although the reviewer on this site would seem to agree with that assessment). It is a competent home networking router, but suffers in comparison to the original WRT54G and the recent WRT54GL because the original WRT54G line was switched from Linux to VxWorks, starting with version 5.

The WRT54GL was released to satisfy those who wanted to mod the firmware; it is based on Linux, like the original 54G. It is generally considered to be a better router than the 54G - check out the review of the 54G for a discussion of the other issues with it.

I use the Hawking HWR54G - now there is a router that qualifies for the description "really bad."