Hidden bonuses from casting spells on ordinary kit

Hi all,

The HotU manual says on page 41:

~~~~~~~~~~~
The innovative spellcaster will also note that casting particular
spells on various items has additional effects. Casting Bless, for
example, on crossbow bolts make them extremely lethal to Rakshasa.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I tried it and was astounded at the result!

Has anyone discovered any similar hidden bonuses? I tried a few obvious
combinations, such as blessing arrows, longswords and quarterstaffs, to
no effect.

Please guard any discoveries with spoiler space or ROT-13.

Regards,
Richard.
5 answers Last reply
More about hidden bonuses casting spells ordinary

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:33:22 +0000, Richard Buckle
    <richardb@sailmaker.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >The HotU manual says on page 41:
    >
    >~~~~~~~~~~~
    >The innovative spellcaster will also note that casting particular
    >spells on various items has additional effects. Casting Bless, for
    >example, on crossbow bolts make them extremely lethal to Rakshasa.
    >~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    >I tried it and was astounded at the result!
    >
    >Has anyone discovered any similar hidden bonuses? I tried a few obvious
    >combinations, such as blessing arrows, longswords and quarterstaffs, to
    >no effect.

    Yeah, Rakshasa have always been vulnerable to blessed crossbow
    bolts. I didn't realize NWN implemented that.

    Loren Pechtel wrote:

    > Yeah, Rakshasa have always been vulnerable to blessed crossbow
    > bolts. I didn't realize NWN implemented that.

    Actually, after someone pointed that out to me, I tried blessing
    crossbow bolts, but it didn't seem to work. I'm curious how the OP did
    it, exactly.

    Brian G. Vaughan wrote:
    > Loren Pechtel wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, Rakshasa have always been vulnerable to blessed crossbow
    >> bolts. I didn't realize NWN implemented that.
    >
    > Actually, after someone pointed that out to me, I tried blessing
    > crossbow bolts, but it didn't seem to work. I'm curious how the OP did
    > it, exactly.

    I had never fooled with this and I tried it. It worked for me. I did this:

    1. Equipped corssbow and bolts
    2. Cast Bless
    3. Targetted the bolts in the equipped slot
    4. Shot the Rakshasha, slaying him instantly

    There are only 2 things I can think of that might have made it not work for you, but who knows.

    (1) Perhaps the Rakshasa gets a saving throw
    (2) The effect lasts only for the duration of the Bless spell, as it works by temporarily adding the item property
    IP_CONST_ONHIT_CASTSPELL_ONHIT_SLAYRAKSHASA to the bolts. This duration can be low for low-level casters
    --
    My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
    "Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

    Loren Pechtel <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Yeah, Rakshasa have always been vulnerable to blessed crossbow bolts.

    I didn't know it was in PnP! Now you mention it, I see it's mentioned
    in my 1e Monster Manual but not the 3e one.

    Richard.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Brian G. Vaughan wrote:

    > Loren Pechtel wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah, Rakshasa have always been vulnerable to blessed crossbow
    > > bolts. I didn't realize NWN implemented that.
    >
    > Actually, after someone pointed that out to me, I tried blessing
    > crossbow bolts, but it didn't seem to work. I'm curious how the OP did
    > it, exactly.

    First of all, it's only implemented if HotU is installed.

    I did it as a cleric, casting Bless from my spell list. I haven't tried
    it as another class, nor using potions, scrolls or items that can cast
    Bless. It may be that you need to be a cleric -- that is certainly what
    was stated in the 1e Monster Manual, which is the only PnP refererence
    I have for this feature.

    In terms of NWN mechanics I simply opened my inventory, right-clicked a
    quiver of plain crossbow bolts, and navigated to the bless spell.
    Having done that, I examined the bolts and saw a blue entry along the
    lines of "On hit, Slay racial group Rakshasa (DC-...)".

    Richard.

Games Video Games