Cannot restore Windows XP

Shortcuts on destop have no file associations

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:33:02 -0800, Greggomano wrote:

> Shortcuts on destop have no file associations

And?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I installed Firefox as a web browser and subsequently removed it. In doing so
the destop shortcuts no longer work saying there is no file association.

Am also unable to Restore to and earlier date.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:29:02 -0800, Greggomano wrote:

> I installed Firefox as a web browser and subsequently removed it. In doing so
> the destop shortcuts no longer work saying there is no file association.
>
> Am also unable to Restore to and earlier date.

For internet shortcuts: Did you set a default browser since removing
Firefox? To set Internet Explorer for this, use Internet Options> Programs
and check the box that allows IE to check that it's the default browser.
Close any open IE windows and relaunch the program. Answer yes to the
prompt that appears. The change should be immediate but if necessary,
restart the system to get the internet shortcuts back up to change.

For general shortcuts that have the .LNK extension, use the file
association fix for .LNK files found here:

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Your suggestion fixed the shortcuts and I E is now the default Explorer.

Still unable to do a Windows XP restore

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:27:03 -0800, Greggomano wrote:

> Your suggestion fixed the shortcuts and I E is now the default Explorer.
>
> Still unable to do a Windows XP restore

Perhaps the following article will help you fix System Restore:

How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User