Copy files from old to new PC???

A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new PC. What is the
cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My documents, photos, etc) to
the new PC?

I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and some kind of
connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as I have a network at
home and copy files that way.

He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.

What should he buy and do?

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about copy files

    Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

    List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

    HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

    Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "M Skabialka" wrote:

    | A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new PC. What is the
    | cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My documents, photos, etc) to
    | the new PC?
    |
    | I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and some kind of
    | connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as I have a network at
    | home and copy files that way.
    |
    | He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.
    |
    | What should he buy and do?
    |
    | Thanks

    It is easy to just put the old hard drive in the new
    computer as a slave, very little skill is needed. No parts
    need be purchased. But a cross-over CAT 5 cable is not a
    problem or very expensive if you don't want to open both
    cases and set up the slave drive (jumper setting, plug in
    wires/cables.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
    message news:%23zLxmubGFHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

    | List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    | the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

    | HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two
    Computers in Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

    | Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576&Product=winxp

    | --
    | Carey Frisch
    | Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP - Shell/User
    | Microsoft Newsgroups
    |
    | Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |
    | "M Skabialka" wrote:
    |
    || A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new
    PC. What is the
    || cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My
    documents, photos, etc) to
    || the new PC?
    || I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and
    some kind of
    || connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as
    I have a network at
    || home and copy files that way.
    || He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.
    || What should he buy and do?
    || Thanks

    If he's got a network card in both machines, he can connect them via a
    crossover cable, or by buying/borrowing a hub - small one's are really
    cheap - or something and using straight cables between them.

    Alternately, you could pull the hard drive out of the old machine, and
    put it into the new machine as a D: drive, and then copy the files he
    needs between the two.

    grep

    M Skabialka wrote:
    > A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new PC. What
    > is the cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My documents,
    > photos, etc) to the new PC?
    >
    > I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and some kind of
    > connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as I have a
    > network at home and copy files that way.
    >
    > He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.
    >
    > What should he buy and do?

    Some options:

    - Ethernet. Requires network card in both computers, and a crossover TP
    cable or two straight cables and a hub/switch. Maybe he can borrow some from
    you?

    - USB networking cable. Availabe in a lot of shops, and probably easier for
    a beginner than the above alternative.

    - USB thumbdrives. Versatile and easy to use.

    - CD-R. Does the old computer have a CD burner of some sort?

    - If all else fails: Remove the hard drive from the old computer and
    physically mount it on the new one.

    There is a USB port in both machines. Is it a special USB cable he needs?
    What software would he run or would he be able to open explorer and see the
    other machine?

    "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
    >M Skabialka wrote:
    >> A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new PC. What
    >> is the cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My documents,
    >> photos, etc) to the new PC?
    >>
    >> I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and some kind of
    >> connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as I have a
    >> network at home and copy files that way.
    >>
    >> He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.
    >>
    >> What should he buy and do?
    >
    > Some options:
    >
    > - Ethernet. Requires network card in both computers, and a crossover TP
    > cable or two straight cables and a hub/switch. Maybe he can borrow some
    > from you?
    >
    > - USB networking cable. Availabe in a lot of shops, and probably easier
    > for a beginner than the above alternative.
    >
    > - USB thumbdrives. Versatile and easy to use.
    >
    > - CD-R. Does the old computer have a CD burner of some sort?
    >
    > - If all else fails: Remove the hard drive from the old computer and
    > physically mount it on the new one.

    Yes. Standard usb cables have an A connector on one end and a B connector
    on the other. Obviously since two computers are involved, both connectors
    will be the same type. USB crossover cables are inexpensive. They have a
    small device in the middle of the cable.

    M Skabialka wrote:
    > There is a USB port in both machines. Is it a special USB cable he
    > needs?

    It is one of several options. The cable has to be specifically made for
    connecting two computers. For instance:

    http://www.aten.com/02-p-item.php?id=626

    or

    http://www.emagictech.com.tw/lc2000-1.htm

    > What software would he run or would he be able to open
    > explorer and see the other machine?

    Software and/or drivers will be supplied with the cable.

Microsoft Windows XP