Copy files from old to new PC???

February 23, 2005 12:03:46 PM

A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new PC. What is the
cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My documents, photos, etc) to
the new PC?

I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and some kind of
connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as I have a network at
home and copy files that way.

He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.

What should he buy and do?

Thanks

More about : copy files

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:23:36 PM

Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/c...

List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"M Skabialka" wrote:

| A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new PC. What is the
| cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My documents, photos, etc) to
| the new PC?
|
| I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and some kind of
| connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as I have a network at
| home and copy files that way.
|
| He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.
|
| What should he buy and do?
|
| Thanks
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:33:28 PM

It is easy to just put the old hard drive in the new
computer as a slave, very little skill is needed. No parts
need be purchased. But a cross-over CAT 5 cable is not a
problem or very expensive if you don't want to open both
cases and set up the slave drive (jumper setting, plug in
wires/cables.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23zLxmubGFHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/c...

| List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
| the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

| HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two
Computers in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

| Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576&Product=winxp

| --
| Carey Frisch
| Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP - Shell/User
| Microsoft Newsgroups
|
| Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
| "M Skabialka" wrote:
|
|| A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new
PC. What is the
|| cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My
documents, photos, etc) to
|| the new PC?
|| I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and
some kind of
|| connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as
I have a network at
|| home and copy files that way.
|| He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.
|| What should he buy and do?
|| Thanks

Related resources
February 23, 2005 1:27:41 PM

If he's got a network card in both machines, he can connect them via a
crossover cable, or by buying/borrowing a hub - small one's are really
cheap - or something and using straight cables between them.

Alternately, you could pull the hard drive out of the old machine, and
put it into the new machine as a D: drive, and then copy the files he
needs between the two.

grep

M Skabialka wrote:

> A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new PC. What is the
> cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My documents, photos, etc) to
> the new PC?
>
> I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and some kind of
> connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as I have a network at
> home and copy files that way.
>
> He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.
>
> What should he buy and do?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 7:29:25 PM

M Skabialka wrote:
> A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new PC. What
> is the cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My documents,
> photos, etc) to the new PC?
>
> I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and some kind of
> connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as I have a
> network at home and copy files that way.
>
> He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.
>
> What should he buy and do?

Some options:

- Ethernet. Requires network card in both computers, and a crossover TP
cable or two straight cables and a hub/switch. Maybe he can borrow some from
you?

- USB networking cable. Availabe in a lot of shops, and probably easier for
a beginner than the above alternative.

- USB thumbdrives. Versatile and easy to use.

- CD-R. Does the old computer have a CD burner of some sort?

- If all else fails: Remove the hard drive from the old computer and
physically mount it on the new one.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 7:29:26 PM

There is a USB port in both machines. Is it a special USB cable he needs?
What software would he run or would he be able to open explorer and see the
other machine?

"André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
>M Skabialka wrote:
>> A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new PC. What
>> is the cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My documents,
>> photos, etc) to the new PC?
>>
>> I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and some kind of
>> connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as I have a
>> network at home and copy files that way.
>>
>> He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.
>>
>> What should he buy and do?
>
> Some options:
>
> - Ethernet. Requires network card in both computers, and a crossover TP
> cable or two straight cables and a hub/switch. Maybe he can borrow some
> from you?
>
> - USB networking cable. Availabe in a lot of shops, and probably easier
> for a beginner than the above alternative.
>
> - USB thumbdrives. Versatile and easy to use.
>
> - CD-R. Does the old computer have a CD burner of some sort?
>
> - If all else fails: Remove the hard drive from the old computer and
> physically mount it on the new one.

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 7:29:27 PM

Yes. Standard usb cables have an A connector on one end and a B connector
on the other. Obviously since two computers are involved, both connectors
will be the same type. USB crossover cables are inexpensive. They have a
small device in the middle of the cable.

"M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
news:o P1rRMcGFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> There is a USB port in both machines. Is it a special USB cable he needs?
> What software would he run or would he be able to open explorer and see
> the other machine?
>

> "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
>>M Skabialka wrote:
>>> A friend with very little PC experience, had bought a new PC. What
>>> is the cheapest/easist way for him to move his files (My documents,
>>> photos, etc) to the new PC?
>>>
>>> I thought there was some kind of crossover cable, and some kind of
>>> connection in Windows but I haven't tried this before as I have a
>>> network at home and copy files that way.
>>>
>>> He just has two PCs and wants to copy files.
>>>
>>> What should he buy and do?
>>
>> Some options:
>>
>> - Ethernet. Requires network card in both computers, and a crossover TP
>> cable or two straight cables and a hub/switch. Maybe he can borrow some
>> from you?
>>
>> - USB networking cable. Availabe in a lot of shops, and probably easier
>> for a beginner than the above alternative.
>>
>> - USB thumbdrives. Versatile and easy to use.
>>
>> - CD-R. Does the old computer have a CD burner of some sort?
>>
>> - If all else fails: Remove the hard drive from the old computer and
>> physically mount it on the new one.

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:37:23 PM

M Skabialka wrote:
> There is a USB port in both machines. Is it a special USB cable he
> needs?

It is one of several options. The cable has to be specifically made for
connecting two computers. For instance:

http://www.aten.com/02-p-item.php?id=626

or

http://www.emagictech.com.tw/lc2000-1.htm

> What software would he run or would he be able to open
> explorer and see the other machine?

Software and/or drivers will be supplied with the cable.
!