Newbie asking for advice

Last response: in Video Games
January 10, 2005 5:52:12 PM

Hi All,

New to the NG, new to CoH. Been on about 3 weeks.

I've been flying my first few characters just by hope and guess. My best
character is 11th level blaster (lightning/force).

Does the game ever get to a point where it won't let you have new powers or
enhancement slots?

My character has hover now. Any reason why I shouldn't grab flight at 14th
when I can first get it?

Any advice?

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to
fit their views
....which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that
needs altering."
-The Doctor

More about : newbie advice

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:01:27 AM

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
> Any advice?

1) Read the manual. It has quite a bit of useful info, but can be a little
scattered. Also, unless they've updated it, it's a couple of major revs
behind the actual game.

2) Pick up the Prima guide to CoH. If you're going to play, it's probably
the best single source of info you can find.

3) Find the Hero Planner utility and play with it. It doesn't tell you a
helluva lot about the powers, but it lets you mess around with different
builds and see what powers can be taken at what stage. Helpful to make
intelligent build choices.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 29.9 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M =-

Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote:

> 2) Pick up the Prima guide to CoH. If you're going to play, it's probably
> the best single source of info you can find.

I would recommend against this, unless you have the money burning a hole
in your pocket. Prima "strategy" guides are really mostly just reference
material that winds up obsolete at the first patch. I've yet to find
anything in a Prima guide that wasn't readily available for free on the
internet, and the game even lets you play in a window so you don't have to
alt-tab.
January 11, 2005 4:16:44 AM

Brian Trosko <btrosko@panix.com> wrote in

> Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote:
>
>> 2) Pick up the Prima guide to CoH. If you're going to play, it's
>> probably the best single source of info you can find.
>
> I would recommend against this, unless you have the money burning
> a hole in your pocket. Prima "strategy" guides are really mostly
> just reference material that winds up obsolete at the first patch.
> I've yet to find anything in a Prima guide that wasn't readily
> available for free on the internet, and the game even lets you
> play in a window so you don't have to alt-tab.

Or, for the die-hards, on a second monitor open to several different
sites.

HeroStats is another good utility to pick up early, but not to worry
about later in your builds, as it shows which powers have good built-in
accuracy and recharge times. And it's nice that it counts the bad guys
needed for certain badges (Paragon Protectors especially).

Prima is good for the player up till 35/37 as the zones maps in the
books list the stores sites, and some requirements for them also. And
you can get it cheap at Borders now, saw it on the discount table at my
local store.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 5:32:36 AM

Brian Trosko <btrosko@panix.com> wrote:
>> 2) Pick up the Prima guide to CoH. If you're going to play, it's
>> probably the best single source of info you can find.

> I would recommend against this, unless you have the money burning a
> hole in your pocket.

I found it useful, and it costs about the same as one month's playing fee.
The info on the net is kind of scattered and hard to find, but makes more
sense once you have the overall grounding. But you're right about it being
somewhat out of date.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 30! Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:47:11 PM

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Hi All,
>
>New to the NG, new to CoH. Been on about 3 weeks.
>

>I've been flying my first few characters just by hope and guess. My best
>character is 11th level blaster (lightning/force).
>
>Does the game ever get to a point where it won't let you have new powers or
>enhancement slots?

Yes, when you reach the level cap of 50.
This is a LONG way off for most people.

>My character has hover now. Any reason why I shouldn't grab flight at 14th
>when I can first get it?

Absolutely no reason at all.
Fly is one of the more fun travel powers, but be warned, it has HEFTY
endurance costs and will require 2 DOs or 1 SO endurance cost reducers.
[I slot 2 DO end reducers (I give fly a socket at 15), then swap an end
reducer for a flight speed when I reach SOs.]

You'll need 4 flight speed boosters to reach the flight speed cap - this
is NOT required, but it's nice at high level when you have some slots to
spare and want to fly faster.

Xocyll
January 11, 2005 2:54:32 PM

J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Brian Trosko <btrosko@panix.com> wrote in
>
>> Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote:
>>
>>> 2) Pick up the Prima guide to CoH. If you're going to play, it's
>>> probably the best single source of info you can find.
>>
>> I would recommend against this, unless you have the money burning
>> a hole in your pocket. Prima "strategy" guides are really mostly
>> just reference material that winds up obsolete at the first patch.
>> I've yet to find anything in a Prima guide that wasn't readily
>> available for free on the internet, and the game even lets you
>> play in a window so you don't have to alt-tab.
>>

>Or, for the die-hards, on a second monitor open to several different
>sites.

Bleh. Personally I find the sites info then save it to disk, so it's
available locally without needing a connection - then it's displayed on
the second computer (networked but not set up for connection sharing)
along with Hero Planner.

The good is you always have it even if the site dies/crashes/gets
hacked.
The bad is it doesn't update unless you go and get newer info.

>HeroStats is another good utility to pick up early, but not to worry
>about later in your builds, as it shows which powers have good built-in
>accuracy and recharge times. And it's nice that it counts the bad guys
>needed for certain badges (Paragon Protectors especially).
>
>Prima is good for the player up till 35/37 as the zones maps in the
>books list the stores sites, and some requirements for them also. And
>you can get it cheap at Borders now, saw it on the discount table at my
>local store.

Handy I guess, but I preferred using the in-game replacement maps that
show stores. I guess there's even replacement maps showing all the
badge/plaque sites, but I have no interest in those.
The maps SHOULD show the stores and should have come from cryptic
showing them.

Xocyll
January 11, 2005 3:35:07 PM

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> New to the NG, new to CoH. Been on about 3 weeks.
>

> I've been flying my first few characters just by hope and guess. My best
> character is 11th level blaster (lightning/force).
>
> Does the game ever get to a point where it won't let you have new powers
or
> enhancement slots?
>
> My character has hover now. Any reason why I shouldn't grab flight at
14th
> when I can first get it?
>
> Any advice?
>

> --
There's no level at which you don't either get to choose a power or
enhancement slots, so knock yourself out with Fly. I think Hover and Fly
are great for a blaster because you stay out of melee range, which becomes
more and more important as you level. In addition to the flight power pool,
consider starting on the the fitness power pool. Stamina, which can be
taken at 20 if you've taken two other powers in the fitness line (Swift,
Hurdle, Health), is considered a "must have" power by many.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:45:30 PM

In article <KOudnR6IMNHTmn7cRVn-jQ@sti.net>, Vorlonagent wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> New to the NG, new to CoH. Been on about 3 weeks.

Welcome to the game, and the group.

> I've been flying my first few characters just by hope and
> guess. My best character is 11th level blaster
> (lightning/force).

The game is very forgiving, especially at the early levels.
Eventually, in the 20s, if you haven't built very well you'll
start to be noticably outclassed by more experienced players, but
at 24 you get your first respec, which allows you to correct any
errors.

A friend of mine actually quit the game when his 23rd level
Energy Blaster ran a mission with a 22nd level Fire Blaster and
saw the devestation that character could wreak.

Happy ending, he realized his mistakes and started playing again
with a Fire Blaster of his own. Made it to 34 or so, but found he
didn't like dying as much as you do as a Fire Blaster. Now he's a
Tanker.

> Does the game ever get to a point where it won't let you have
> new powers or enhancement slots?

No. Eventually there will be times when no *great* powers are
available, but you can always get something.

> My character has hover now. Any reason why I shouldn't grab
> flight at 14th when I can first get it?

No. Get it right away.

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote in

> Hi All,
>
> New to the NG, new to CoH. Been on about 3 weeks.

Cool!! Welcome to the group. This is a pretty handy group. We have a lot of
people here who know quite a bit about the game.

> I've been flying my first few characters just by hope and guess. My
> best character is 11th level blaster (lightning/force).

Ahhh, electricity/energy. Never played an electricity/* blaster very far
(got to about L4 before I figured out that the graphics annoyed me), but I
have an energy/energy blaster sitting in the wings at level 15.

> Does the game ever get to a point where it won't let you have new
> powers or enhancement slots?

No, it doesn't. At the lower levels, you get new powers at even levels, and
enhancement slots at odd levels. At levels 32 and up, you get new powers
every 3 levels, and 3 enhancement slots each level in between.

> My character has hover now. Any reason why I shouldn't grab flight
> at 14th when I can first get it?

It depends on how your powers are going. When you get to level 13, start
paying close attention to the powers that you are using, and the powers
that you widh you had. Sometimes, you will find that you absolutely *need*
a certain power, and thus it might be adviseable to put off flight.

I know that with my energy/energy blaster, at 14 I took energy Torrent
instead of flight. I found that I needed a decent cone attack for getting
mobs off my back. Once I get him to 16, he will get flight...

--
Marcel
Anonymous

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

> The maps SHOULD show the stores and should have come from cryptic
> showing them.

Ummm, they do. Or at least they did last weekend.

Just open the map, and then use the slider on the (right hand side I think)
side of the window to zoom in. Once zoomed in, you can drag the map around
to center it on your character.

--
Marcel
Anonymous

"Neil Cerutti" <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote in message
> In article <KOudnR6IMNHTmn7cRVn-jQ@sti.net>, Vorlonagent wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > New to the NG, new to CoH. Been on about 3 weeks.
>
> Welcome to the game, and the group.

Thanks and thanks.

> > I've been flying my first few characters just by hope and
> > guess. My best character is 11th level blaster
> > (lightning/force).
>
> The game is very forgiving, especially at the early levels.
> Eventually, in the 20s, if you haven't built very well you'll
> start to be noticably outclassed by more experienced players, but
> at 24 you get your first respec, which allows you to correct any
> errors.

I don't think I've done too much bad. At level 11 the character has the
first 4 Electrical powers plus Power Thrust, Build Up and Hover.

I have changed out my enhancements sometimes. My Hover originally had
flight speed and I replaced it with Defense Buff. Either way it was too
slow for combat maneuverability. Some other posts have illuminated why.

I've settled to constant pattern of 2x Power (10 or 10+ at my level) and a
reduced Endurabnce (10 or 10+) on the attack powers.

I'm a little disappointed that the Force secondary didn't have much in the
way of distance-damage powers, but even at 11th level, plain ol' Power
Thrust has worked good for backup when my distance attacks are cycling.

When attacking, whether in a group or individually, I usually lead off with
a Ball lightning, then close distance to deliver a Short Circuit before
backing off and working the character's bread and butter: Charged Bolts and
Lightning bolt. I really want a third attack power so I can retire Brawl
entirely and keep Power Thrust in reserve to keep physical types off me.
Zapp will help, but it's a sniper blast and not a whorkhorse power like CB
and LB. Guess I'll be waitng for Tesla Cage.

I guess that's why Fire/Ice combos are popular. That and some cool SPFX...

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to
fit their views
....which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that
needs altering."
-The Doctor
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 8:10:26 PM

In article <5d08u09jf9dnkbr1jtkef74tc2rtvhqjb4@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
> "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>New to the NG, new to CoH. Been on about 3 weeks.
>>

>>I've been flying my first few characters just by hope and guess. My best
>>character is 11th level blaster (lightning/force).
>>
>>Does the game ever get to a point where it won't let you have new powers or
>>enhancement slots?
>
> Yes, when you reach the level cap of 50.
> This is a LONG way off for most people.
>
>>My character has hover now. Any reason why I shouldn't grab flight at 14th
>>when I can first get it?
>
> Absolutely no reason at all. Fly is one of the more fun travel
> powers, but be warned, it has HEFTY endurance costs and will
> require 2 DOs or 1 SO endurance cost reducers. [I slot 2 DO end
> reducers (I give fly a socket at 15), then swap an end reducer
> for a flight speed when I reach SOs.]

Also note that just one Dual Origin endurance reduction
enhancement is enough to allow you to fly indefinitely as long as
no other toggles are running.

> You'll need 4 flight speed boosters to reach the flight speed
> cap - this is NOT required, but it's nice at high level when
> you have some slots to spare and want to fly faster.

In addition, some Blasters get a real benefit from using 6 Fly
Speed enhancement in Hover. If you plan to do this, you shouldn't
bother until your late 20's or early 30's.

--
Neil Cerutti
I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I

> In addition, some Blasters get a real benefit from using 6 Fly
> Speed enhancement in Hover. If you plan to do this, you shouldn't
> bother until your late 20's or early 30's.

I find that 3 fly speed SO's in hover gives me quite good combat
maneuverability. I wouldn't 6 slot it unless you are putting defense in the
other 3, and even then not until you have SO's, anything less and the
defense boost is too small to notice.

--
The Soliphist asks...
What assertion do you make to validate your existence?

"Marcel Beaudoin" <mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> wrote in message

> Ahhh, electricity/energy. Never played an electricity/* blaster very far
> (got to about L4 before I figured out that the graphics annoyed me), but I
> have an energy/energy blaster sitting in the wings at level 15.
>
> > My character has hover now. Any reason why I shouldn't grab flight
> > at 14th when I can first get it?
>
> It depends on how your powers are going. When you get to level 13, start
> paying close attention to the powers that you are using, and the powers
> that you widh you had. Sometimes, you will find that you absolutely *need*
> a certain power, and thus it might be adviseable to put off flight.
>
> I know that with my energy/energy blaster, at 14 I took energy Torrent
> instead of flight. I found that I needed a decent cone attack for getting
> mobs off my back. Once I get him to 16, he will get flight...

My 0th character was a Force/Ice Blaster and he grabbed Energy Torrent real
fast. As with Ball Lightning, Energy Torrent was his choice for an opening
attack when engaging a mob.

I call him my 0th character because he was built on a freind's account when
I was up for a visit in early December. I'd really like him back as a
unnamed high-level hero traded him nothing for like 99,000 influence when he
was 5th-6th level. He maxed out his enhancements real fast when he hit
7th...

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to
fit their views
....which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that
needs altering."
-The Doctor
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 10:14:12 PM

In article <q82dnS8x_tSXkHncRVn-iA@giganews.com>, The Soliphist wrote:
> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote in
>
>> In addition, some Blasters get a real benefit from using 6 Fly
>> Speed enhancement in Hover. If you plan to do this, you shouldn't
>> bother until your late 20's or early 30's.
>
> I find that 3 fly speed SO's in hover gives me quite good
> combat maneuverability. I wouldn't 6 slot it unless you are
> putting defense in the other 3, and even then not until you
> have SO's, anything less and the defense boost is too small to
> notice.

It's not really worth it to slot for defense at only +1% per
Single Origin enhancement. Fully slotted to 11% +Defense, it does
stack nicely with Weave and Stealth, though.

--
Neil Cerutti
If only faces could talk. --Pat Summerall

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>In article <5d08u09jf9dnkbr1jtkef74tc2rtvhqjb4@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
>> "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
>> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
<snip>
>>>My character has hover now. Any reason why I shouldn't grab flight at 14th
>>>when I can first get it?
>>
>> Absolutely no reason at all. Fly is one of the more fun travel
>> powers, but be warned, it has HEFTY endurance costs and will
>> require 2 DOs or 1 SO endurance cost reducers. [I slot 2 DO end
>> reducers (I give fly a socket at 15), then swap an end reducer
>> for a flight speed when I reach SOs.]
>
>Also note that just one Dual Origin endurance reduction
>enhancement is enough to allow you to fly indefinitely as long as
>no other toggles are running.

This is NOT my experience at all, which is why I stick a socket on at 15
to hold a second DO until 22 and the SOs.
1 SO is certainly enough, but 1 DO doesn't seem to be - at least not on
all ATs.

Xocyll
January 12, 2005 1:20:13 AM

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
> It's not really worth it to slot for defense at only +1% per
> Single Origin enhancement.

Really!

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:20:14 AM

Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote in

> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
>> It's not really worth it to slot for defense at only +1% per
>> Single Origin enhancement.
>
> Really!

Defense SO's are 20% improvement to base value. Hover (and Hasten, and
Combat Jumping) has a base defense value of 5%, so each SO improves your
overall defense by 1%. Which was what I was getting at earlier, I wouldn't
six slot Hover unless you plan to use it as your only travel power. I have
heard six Fly Speed SO's in hover brings you up to the base unenhanced
speed of Fly.

For a defense power that doesn't require a 3-power commitment like Weave,
slotting Stealh (7.5% base) with 5 defense buffs gives you a 15% defense
bonus. Overall though, if you can afford taking three powers from the
fighting pool, Tough and Weave are the best you can get, with a 15% base
smash/lethal resistence and 10% base defense bonus, respectively.

--
The Soliphist asks...
What assertion do you make to validate your existence?
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 4:06:33 PM

In article <Xns95DB922CA56C2nitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
Shenanigunner wrote:
> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
>> It's not really worth it to slot for defense at only +1% per
>> Single Origin enhancement.
>
> Really!

Yes, it's really only +1% per SO.

Yes, it's not really worth it.

However (I thought I wrote this somewhere), it has nice synergy
with some of the other +Def power pools.

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

In article <7639u0d5349kq5d9vh8bj8t16tbfm6otc7@4ax.com>, Xocyll
wrote:
> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
> signs say:
>>Also note that just one Dual Origin endurance reduction
>>enhancement is enough to allow you to fly indefinitely as long
>>as no other toggles are running.
>
> This is NOT my experience at all, which is why I stick a socket
> on at 15 to hold a second DO until 22 and the SOs. 1 SO is
> certainly enough, but 1 DO doesn't seem to be - at least not on
> all ATs.

I just checked this with the toggle costs calculator, and Xocyll
is, as expected, correct. 1 DO doesn't *quite* negate the
endurance drain. Here are the numbers, for a character without
Stamina.

Endruance regeneration rate: 1.67 e/s
Cost of Fly: 2.00 e/s

Cost of Fly with 1 DO endurance reduction:
Level Cost (e/s)
-3 1.75
-2 1.74
-1 1.73
equal 1.71
+1 1.70
+2 1.69
+3 1.68

So there's still a little bit of endurance drain with just one DO
and no Stamina, but you can Fly a long time before you run out.
Even with a -3, you can fly for about 12 seconds per endurance
point you have remaining, which for me was always long enough to
get where I was going, but might leave you in the lurch if you're
trying to fly away when you endurance is almost gone.
endurance point.

Thanks for the correction, Xocyll.

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

Marcel Beaudoin <mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> looked up from
reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
the signs say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
>
>> The maps SHOULD show the stores and should have come from cryptic
>> showing them.
>
>Ummm, they do. Or at least they did last weekend.
>
>Just open the map, and then use the slider on the (right hand side I think)
>side of the window to zoom in. Once zoomed in, you can drag the map around
>to center it on your character.

That wouldn't show me anything since i've had replacement map textures
that show the stores for a few months now.

Even with the new map options, show/hide stores isn't an option, though
you can toggle contacts, gates, mission destinations, names, and a few
others.

Xocyll
January 13, 2005 6:12:39 PM

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>In article <7639u0d5349kq5d9vh8bj8t16tbfm6otc7@4ax.com>, Xocyll
>wrote:
>> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the
>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
>> signs say:
>>>Also note that just one Dual Origin endurance reduction
>>>enhancement is enough to allow you to fly indefinitely as long
>>>as no other toggles are running.
>>
>> This is NOT my experience at all, which is why I stick a socket
>> on at 15 to hold a second DO until 22 and the SOs. 1 SO is
>> certainly enough, but 1 DO doesn't seem to be - at least not on
>> all ATs.
>
>I just checked this with the toggle costs calculator, and Xocyll
>is, as expected, correct. 1 DO doesn't *quite* negate the
>endurance drain. Here are the numbers, for a character without
>Stamina.

As expected? Whoh.

I just call em as I see em, and flight is a power I used extensively.

>Endruance regeneration rate: 1.67 e/s
>Cost of Fly: 2.00 e/s
>
>Cost of Fly with 1 DO endurance reduction:
> Level Cost (e/s)
> -3 1.75
> -2 1.74
> -1 1.73
> equal 1.71
> +1 1.70
> +2 1.69
> +3 1.68
>
>So there's still a little bit of endurance drain with just one DO
>and no Stamina, but you can Fly a long time before you run out.
>Even with a -3, you can fly for about 12 seconds per endurance
>point you have remaining, which for me was always long enough to
>get where I was going, but might leave you in the lurch if you're
>trying to fly away when you endurance is almost gone.
>endurance point.

My point exactly - it's no good having a toggle that actively drains you
since that may end up getting you in trouble - arriving low on end to a
hostile landing zone or not having enough to escape with. Not to
mention ambushes.

I'm a big believer in NOT having to rely on inspirations or rest breaks,
since sometimes you just don't have those options.
This is due mostly to my soloing a lot, since there's no backup to help
with 'extra' inspirations, healing, shields, etc.

This has been somewhat harder to do on the tanker than it was on the
scrapper, especially after I got and perma-hastened.
Sockets seem much more limited with invuln than they did with regen, but
things are still progressing fairly well.

If I had more enemies, missions would be considerably harder - I like
that the max diff setting boosts the critters heavily but doesn't seem
to increase their numbers. Especially true in freak missions.
I'd rather fight normal size groups of reds than large groups of
oranges.
[The end of that sentence sounded a bit weird - sudden visions of
Sunkist Samurai.]

>Thanks for the correction, Xocyll.

No problem. :)

It's all about the fun, and dying isn't fun.

Xocyll
January 14, 2005 12:13:19 AM

In article <t2kdu05ckas400gh5fcg6g022lpaq53oi9@4ax.com>, Xocyll
wrote:
>>I just checked this with the toggle costs calculator, and Xocyll
>>is, as expected, correct. 1 DO doesn't *quite* negate the
>>endurance drain. Here are the numbers, for a character without
>>Stamina.
>
> As expected? Whoh.
>
> I just call em as I see em, and flight is a power I used
> extensively.

I hadn't used Fly with one DO for over four months, so my memory
fogged, and I forgot it does drain endurance at a very slow pace.
Upon reflection, I realized your recollection must have been
fresher.

> It's all about the fun, and dying isn't fun.

*Almost* dying on the other hand...

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>In article <t2kdu05ckas400gh5fcg6g022lpaq53oi9@4ax.com>, Xocyll
>wrote:
>>>I just checked this with the toggle costs calculator, and Xocyll
>>>is, as expected, correct. 1 DO doesn't *quite* negate the
>>>endurance drain. Here are the numbers, for a character without
>>>Stamina.
>>
>> As expected? Whoh.
>>
>> I just call em as I see em, and flight is a power I used
>> extensively.
>
>I hadn't used Fly with one DO for over four months, so my memory
>fogged, and I forgot it does drain endurance at a very slow pace.
>Upon reflection, I realized your recollection must have been
>fresher.
>
>> It's all about the fun, and dying isn't fun.
>
>*Almost* dying on the other hand...

Yep that was why Shadeling tried to solo Monsters and AVs.
A fight you can't win isn't fun.
A fight where you're never, ever in any danger isn't much fun.

A fight that's touch and go the whole time and in the end you triumph,
if just barely - that's FUN!

This is something the Devs seem incapable of understanding.

Xocyll
January 14, 2005 10:29:36 PM

In article <v05gu0tv7j9ictvpmqb2allk3h0jvt4jnn@4ax.com>, Xocyll
wrote:
> A fight you can't win isn't fun.

Yup.

> A fight where you're never, ever in any danger isn't much fun.

Well... actually, that *is* fun.

If that's all there is, then it's not fun.

> A fight that's touch and go the whole time and in the end you
> triumph, if just barely - that's FUN!
>
> This is something the Devs seem incapable of understanding.

I think they're trying. It's a complicated system, and sometimes
the necessary adjustments are too hard to make, so they
compromise. Statesman had to decide between tampering with the
spawn system, which has proven to be a touchy quagmire, and
finding some other way to boost post-25 difficulty. The Boss
change is the compromise, and heart-burn is the result.

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>In article <v05gu0tv7j9ictvpmqb2allk3h0jvt4jnn@4ax.com>, Xocyll
>wrote:
>> A fight you can't win isn't fun.
>
>Yup.
>
>> A fight where you're never, ever in any danger isn't much fun.
>
>Well... actually, that *is* fun.
>
>If that's all there is, then it's not fun.
>
>> A fight that's touch and go the whole time and in the end you
>> triumph, if just barely - that's FUN!
>>
>> This is something the Devs seem incapable of understanding.
>
>I think they're trying. It's a complicated system, and sometimes
>the necessary adjustments are too hard to make, so they
>compromise. Statesman had to decide between tampering with the
>spawn system, which has proven to be a touchy quagmire, and
>finding some other way to boost post-25 difficulty. The Boss
>change is the compromise, and heart-burn is the result.

Not really. Even with the changes the bosses just aren't really
dangerous to the combat classes (Scrapper/Tanker).

Monsters and AVs were where the danger was, and the Devs have made it
clear that they want them totally unsoloable.

There's just no feeling of accomplishment for taking down some unnamed
or named boss. Taking down the Envoy of Shadows on the other hand is
an achievement, since he's much more dangerous than a boss.

Since Issue3 went live my wee tanker gal has had the difficulty maxed,
and had absolutely no problem taking down anything.
Bosses (post 25) just take longer, but they don't seem much more
dangerous to melee classes.
Tedious, not dangerous.

If you go by the guides, my invuln tank is seriously broken, since my
resists are barely slotted (UNY has 1end/2res, TI 1end/1res, resist
energies/elements 1res) and invinc has nothing in it but one end
reducer.

The only danger I face is running out of endurance.

Bosses are just a waste of time (comparing exp/hp) compared to minions
or LTs.
The Devs fumbled this ball - boosting boss damage makes them tougher,
and more dangerous to melee types, boosting their HP drastically just
makes them tedious.

Some actual numbers I jotted down fighting in Bricks
Minion 345hp, 380 exp
LT 670hp, 649 exp
Boss 2355hp, 1477 exp

Those were all red con crey guys and/or freaks (it may vary with other
types) but those bosses were just plain not worth the time it took to
beat down those extra hp.
Not only did my attacks do less damage to the bosses, I had to make a
hell of a lot more attacks to beat them.

Freak Tanks are just not worth fighting when you compare the work
required for the exp received.

Xocyll
January 15, 2005 7:44:35 AM

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> Not really. Even with the changes the bosses just aren't really
> dangerous to the combat classes (Scrapper/Tanker).

Sez you. I used to be able to solo a red boss with only a little
concentration and clearing of minions. Now a red is all I can handle with
every boost and Insp I can carry. And an orange takes a lot of work, most
times. It's definitely bosses, as I can solo red minions and lts fairly
easily. Even some yellow bosses give me pause, and I had a fraggin' WHITE
boss take too long to pound down the other day.

Purples... forget it.

And this is AFTER I rebuilt with 6-slot health, hasten and stamina. And
have two def slots in Fire and Plasma shields.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 7:22:30 PM

Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>> Not really. Even with the changes the bosses just aren't really
>> dangerous to the combat classes (Scrapper/Tanker).
>
>Sez you. I used to be able to solo a red boss with only a little
>concentration and clearing of minions. Now a red is all I can handle with
>every boost and Insp I can carry. And an orange takes a lot of work, most
>times. It's definitely bosses, as I can solo red minions and lts fairly
>easily. Even some yellow bosses give me pause, and I had a fraggin' WHITE
>boss take too long to pound down the other day.
>
>Purples... forget it.
>
>And this is AFTER I rebuilt with 6-slot health, hasten and stamina. And
>have two def slots in Fire and Plasma shields.

Isn't fire a kind of special case among tankers, more oriented towards
causing damage than resisting it.
Fire tankers have always seemed kinda fragile to me, but boy could they
dish out the damage.
[Pre nerfing that is - and maybe they're un-nerfed now.]

Xocyll
January 17, 2005 2:21:49 AM

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> Isn't fire a kind of special case among tankers, more oriented towards
> causing damage than resisting it.
> Fire tankers have always seemed kinda fragile to me, but boy could
> they dish out the damage.
> [Pre nerfing that is - and maybe they're un-nerfed now.]

They antinerfed Burn and Blazing Aura. Don't know if they changed the two
shields.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 5:18:56 PM

In article <rn0hu053rpl3q6hojketv3v5n8hfmh0mtb@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>I think they're trying. It's a complicated system, and
>>sometimes the necessary adjustments are too hard to make, so
>>they compromise. Statesman had to decide between tampering with
>>the spawn system, which has proven to be a touchy quagmire, and
>>finding some other way to boost post-25 difficulty. The Boss
>>change is the compromise, and heart-burn is the result.
>
> Not really. Even with the changes the bosses just aren't
> really dangerous to the combat classes (Scrapper/Tanker).

That's been a big reason for the heartburn. Some players are not
greatly inconvenienced, while others are now susceptible to more
one-shot kills than they were before. These sorts of changes
always have unintended effects, and in this case it's made
soloing even more frustrating for many players. All we can say to
them is, "You shouldn't have been soloing that content, anyway,"
which isn't very comforting.

> Monsters and AVs were where the danger was, and the Devs have
> made it clear that they want them totally unsoloable.
>
> There's just no feeling of accomplishment for taking down some
> unnamed or named boss. Taking down the Envoy of Shadows on
> the other hand is an achievement, since he's much more
> dangerous than a boss.
>
> Since Issue3 went live my wee tanker gal has had the difficulty
> maxed, and had absolutely no problem taking down anything.
> Bosses (post 25) just take longer, but they don't seem much
> more dangerous to melee classes. Tedious, not dangerous.
>
> If you go by the guides, my invuln tank is seriously broken,
> since my resists are barely slotted (UNY has 1end/2res, TI
> 1end/1res, resist energies/elements 1res) and invinc has
> nothing in it but one end reducer.

Yup. Invulnerable Tanks are still the toughest Tanks, at least
when they stack Unyielding and TI.

> The only danger I face is running out of endurance.
>
> Bosses are just a waste of time (comparing exp/hp) compared to minions
> or LTs.
> The Devs fumbled this ball - boosting boss damage makes them tougher,
> and more dangerous to melee types, boosting their HP drastically just
> makes them tedious.
>
> Some actual numbers I jotted down fighting in Bricks
> Minion 345hp, 380 exp
> LT 670hp, 649 exp
> Boss 2355hp, 1477 exp

Yuk. But they have to walk a fine line between making Bosses a
pain in the butt, and making them walking XP bonanzas.

> Those were all red con crey guys and/or freaks (it may vary
> with other types) but those bosses were just plain not worth
> the time it took to beat down those extra hp. Not only did my
> attacks do less damage to the bosses, I had to make a hell of a
> lot more attacks to beat them.
>
> Freak Tanks are just not worth fighting when you compare the
> work required for the exp received.

But it's 1477 XP. And it's right there! ;)

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>In article <rn0hu053rpl3q6hojketv3v5n8hfmh0mtb@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
>> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
>> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>>I think they're trying. It's a complicated system, and
>>>sometimes the necessary adjustments are too hard to make, so
>>>they compromise. Statesman had to decide between tampering with
>>>the spawn system, which has proven to be a touchy quagmire, and
>>>finding some other way to boost post-25 difficulty. The Boss
>>>change is the compromise, and heart-burn is the result.
>>
>> Not really. Even with the changes the bosses just aren't
>> really dangerous to the combat classes (Scrapper/Tanker).
>
>That's been a big reason for the heartburn. Some players are not
>greatly inconvenienced, while others are now susceptible to more
>one-shot kills than they were before. These sorts of changes
>always have unintended effects, and in this case it's made
>soloing even more frustrating for many players. All we can say to
>them is, "You shouldn't have been soloing that content, anyway,"
>which isn't very comforting.

Along this line I took Shadeling out for a spin yesterday and visited
monster island.
Found a lattice on it's own and started fighting it.
It still couldn't hurt me, even though it's still my issue 2 build, with
lessened healing now
..
The difference is that now I couldn't even scratch it.
They had 18k hp in issue2, like AVs (at least I think that's the right
number).
They have 47k hp now, with the overwhelming boost to hp regen that
entails.

From what I hear, they're actually worth _less_ experience now than they
were in issue2, so a team that can beat one won't get a payout worth the
effort. Giant Prisoners.

The Devs have just turned content into scenery. All that's left to do
is make them unhittable and stop them attacking.

>> Monsters and AVs were where the danger was, and the Devs have
>> made it clear that they want them totally unsoloable.
>>
>> There's just no feeling of accomplishment for taking down some
>> unnamed or named boss. Taking down the Envoy of Shadows on
>> the other hand is an achievement, since he's much more
>> dangerous than a boss.
>>
>> Since Issue3 went live my wee tanker gal has had the difficulty
>> maxed, and had absolutely no problem taking down anything.
>> Bosses (post 25) just take longer, but they don't seem much
>> more dangerous to melee classes. Tedious, not dangerous.
>>
>> If you go by the guides, my invuln tank is seriously broken,
>> since my resists are barely slotted (UNY has 1end/2res, TI
>> 1end/1res, resist energies/elements 1res) and invinc has
>> nothing in it but one end reducer.
>
>Yup. Invulnerable Tanks are still the toughest Tanks, at least
>when they stack Unyielding and TI.

It amazes me that people in the forums are still saying that invuln "got
nerfed" "is gimped" etc.

Ok, the huge gaping hole that is PSI is still there, now complemented
with a only slightly less gaping Toxic hole.
Was perma-unstoppable really that perceived as the only "proper" invinc
build before?

So far it seems i'm killing things at least as fast as my MA/reg did,
and for the most part with a lot less worry, since it's highly unlikely
for me to get one-shotted.
Having energy/smash instead of just smash is probably one of the reasons
I seem to be doing as well/better.

>> The only danger I face is running out of endurance.
>>
>> Bosses are just a waste of time (comparing exp/hp) compared to minions
>> or LTs.
>> The Devs fumbled this ball - boosting boss damage makes them tougher,
>> and more dangerous to melee types, boosting their HP drastically just
>> makes them tedious.
>>
>> Some actual numbers I jotted down fighting in Bricks
>> Minion 345hp, 380 exp
>> LT 670hp, 649 exp
>> Boss 2355hp, 1477 exp
>
>Yuk. But they have to walk a fine line between making Bosses a
>pain in the butt, and making them walking XP bonanzas.

The things have to be worth fighting or people are going to ignore them.
I'm already seeing this all over the place - lone bosses standing around
because someone came through, fought the Lts and minions and then left
because the boss isn't worth fighting.

That's a very large boost to their HP (and thus their regen) and the
boosted damage on top of that means a lot of ATs/builds are going to
find bosses a hell of a lot more trouble.
Having a weak payout means people are just more likely to run away from
bosses even when, like me, they can fight them.

I could take down 10+ Lts in the time it takes to drop one boss of the
crey/freak types since they're so heavily armored on top of the huge HP.

While a solo freak tank isn't going to hurt me much due to resistance
and AS knocking him down, it's going to be one-shotting a lot of other
ATs if it gets to melee.

>> Those were all red con crey guys and/or freaks (it may vary
>> with other types) but those bosses were just plain not worth
>> the time it took to beat down those extra hp. Not only did my
>> attacks do less damage to the bosses, I had to make a hell of a
>> lot more attacks to beat them.
>>
>> Freak Tanks are just not worth fighting when you compare the
>> work required for the exp received.
>
>But it's 1477 XP. And it's right there! ;)

Yeah and you know that just down the road will be some LTs/minions you
can wipe out in half the time for more exp.

The only time I really bother is when I have a hunt X mission, and the
boss is a type X.

Xocyll
January 17, 2005 9:42:39 PM

In article <8uunu09k5pp0f9pf79amllrjbsedme8dh8@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
> Along this line I took Shadeling out for a spin yesterday and
> visited monster island. Found a lattice on it's own and started
> fighting it. It still couldn't hurt me, even though it's still
> my issue 2 build, with lessened healing now . The difference is
> that now I couldn't even scratch it. They had 18k hp in issue2,
> like AVs (at least I think that's the right number). They have
> 47k hp now, with the overwhelming boost to hp regen that
> entails.
>
> From what I hear, they're actually worth _less_ experience now
> than they were in issue2, so a team that can beat one won't get
> a payout worth the effort. Giant Prisoners.
>
> The Devs have just turned content into scenery. All that's
> left to do is make them unhittable and stop them attacking.

Breaking news: The Boss change is being rolled back. Statesman
and Geko bought the argument that the difficulty slider handles
the "too easy" problem well enough, and that the tougher bosses
had more downsides than upsides. There's a lot of infrastructure
that's needs to be put in place before a Boss boost is ever
considered again, e.g., boss indications before you accept
missions, the ability to drop missions, the ability to pick-up
previously dropped missions, etc.

In addition, the proposed new Rage penalty of a 100% endurance
drop is being scrapped. That was a stupid idea from the get-go,
but at least it didn't last long.

Dark Armor now stacks on the test server, and has newish art.

>>> Monsters and AVs were where the danger was, and the Devs have
>>> made it clear that they want them totally unsoloable.
>>>
>>> There's just no feeling of accomplishment for taking down some
>>> unnamed or named boss. Taking down the Envoy of Shadows on
>>> the other hand is an achievement, since he's much more
>>> dangerous than a boss.
>>>
>>> Since Issue3 went live my wee tanker gal has had the difficulty
>>> maxed, and had absolutely no problem taking down anything.
>>> Bosses (post 25) just take longer, but they don't seem much
>>> more dangerous to melee classes. Tedious, not dangerous.
>>>
>>> If you go by the guides, my invuln tank is seriously broken,
>>> since my resists are barely slotted (UNY has 1end/2res, TI
>>> 1end/1res, resist energies/elements 1res) and invinc has
>>> nothing in it but one end reducer.
>>
>>Yup. Invulnerable Tanks are still the toughest Tanks, at least
>>when they stack Unyielding and TI.
>
> It amazes me that people in the forums are still saying that invuln "got
> nerfed" "is gimped" etc.
>
> Ok, the huge gaping hole that is PSI is still there, now complemented
> with a only slightly less gaping Toxic hole.
> Was perma-unstoppable really that perceived as the only "proper" invinc
> build before?
>
> So far it seems i'm killing things at least as fast as my MA/reg did,
> and for the most part with a lot less worry, since it's highly unlikely
> for me to get one-shotted.
> Having energy/smash instead of just smash is probably one of the reasons
> I seem to be doing as well/better.
>
>>> The only danger I face is running out of endurance.
>>>
>>> Bosses are just a waste of time (comparing exp/hp) compared to minions
>>> or LTs.
>>> The Devs fumbled this ball - boosting boss damage makes them tougher,
>>> and more dangerous to melee types, boosting their HP drastically just
>>> makes them tedious.
>>>
>>> Some actual numbers I jotted down fighting in Bricks
>>> Minion 345hp, 380 exp
>>> LT 670hp, 649 exp
>>> Boss 2355hp, 1477 exp
>>
>>Yuk. But they have to walk a fine line between making Bosses a
>>pain in the butt, and making them walking XP bonanzas.
>
> The things have to be worth fighting or people are going to
> ignore them. I'm already seeing this all over the place - lone
> bosses standing around because someone came through, fought the
> Lts and minions and then left because the boss isn't worth
> fighting.

It was that way *before* the boss boost, so no argument here. An
MA scrapper with Focus Chi can level up fast cleaning up boss
droppings in Perez, Skyway and Steel, in my experience. When they
are colored white, blue or green, they are once again good XP,
and easy pickings.

--
Neil Cerutti
It will work out, somehow. That's a hell of a duo right there,

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>In article <8uunu09k5pp0f9pf79amllrjbsedme8dh8@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
>> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>> Along this line I took Shadeling out for a spin yesterday and
>> visited monster island. Found a lattice on it's own and started
>> fighting it. It still couldn't hurt me, even though it's still
>> my issue 2 build, with lessened healing now . The difference is
>> that now I couldn't even scratch it. They had 18k hp in issue2,
>> like AVs (at least I think that's the right number). They have
>> 47k hp now, with the overwhelming boost to hp regen that
>> entails.
>>
>> From what I hear, they're actually worth _less_ experience now
>> than they were in issue2, so a team that can beat one won't get
>> a payout worth the effort. Giant Prisoners.
>>
>> The Devs have just turned content into scenery. All that's
>> left to do is make them unhittable and stop them attacking.
>
>Breaking news: The Boss change is being rolled back. Statesman
>and Geko bought the argument that the difficulty slider handles
>the "too easy" problem well enough, and that the tougher bosses
>had more downsides than upsides. There's a lot of infrastructure
>that's needs to be put in place before a Boss boost is ever
>considered again, e.g., boss indications before you accept
>missions, the ability to drop missions, the ability to pick-up
>previously dropped missions, etc.

Yay! While I can certainly beat most normal bosses with the Tanker,
they had become tedious.

>In addition, the proposed new Rage penalty of a 100% endurance
>drop is being scrapped. That was a stupid idea from the get-go,
>but at least it didn't last long.

Yeah the Devs are FAR too hung up on "drains all end" type affects on
powers, even knowing that means that ALL toggles are going to drop,
which usually means death if anything is around.

Just one more bit of evidence that the Devs didn't/don't play much.

>Dark Armor now stacks on the test server, and has newish art.

Julie should be happy now.

Now if only they'd finally enable some kind of graphic effects
toggle/slider so you could reduce the stacked armors.
Not thinking DA so much as invinc - INV+TI+UNY= one hell of a glare on a
small character.
I had to turn the particles WAY down (like ~1000) in order to play my
tanker without getting a headache from the glare of her shields.

Like so many effects, they only have one aura for all body sizes, so
what is a slight effect on a huge body is a foot thick aura around a
small one.
With the invinc ones, the stacking means it's pure white around the
character and it's BRIGHT.

>>>Yup. Invulnerable Tanks are still the toughest Tanks, at least
>>>when they stack Unyielding and TI.
>>
>> It amazes me that people in the forums are still saying that invuln "got
>> nerfed" "is gimped" etc.
>>
>> Ok, the huge gaping hole that is PSI is still there, now complemented
>> with a only slightly less gaping Toxic hole.
>> Was perma-unstoppable really that perceived as the only "proper" invinc
>> build before?
>>
>> So far it seems i'm killing things at least as fast as my MA/reg did,
>> and for the most part with a lot less worry, since it's highly unlikely
>> for me to get one-shotted.
>> Having energy/smash instead of just smash is probably one of the reasons
>> I seem to be doing as well/better.

>>>Yuk. But they have to walk a fine line between making Bosses a
>>>pain in the butt, and making them walking XP bonanzas.
>>
>> The things have to be worth fighting or people are going to
>> ignore them. I'm already seeing this all over the place - lone
>> bosses standing around because someone came through, fought the
>> Lts and minions and then left because the boss isn't worth
>> fighting.
>
>It was that way *before* the boss boost, so no argument here. An
>MA scrapper with Focus Chi can level up fast cleaning up boss
>droppings in Perez, Skyway and Steel, in my experience. When they
>are colored white, blue or green, they are once again good XP,
>and easy pickings.

While I did see this before it was mostly fire blaster leavings. They'd
pull off Fireball/breath wipe out all but the boss, then leave.
But with the boss boosts, it's all kinds of ATs leaving them even
Scrappers and Tankers who would have killed them in issue2.

Xocyll