Sign in with
Your question

MY friend's computer

Last response: in CPUs
February 4, 2007 7:00:30 PM

my friend's computer is acting really wierd. When he opens a new window for the internet, the computer freezes. After pressing ctrl+alt+del numerous times, the computer opens the browser. i dont think it is a browser problem but the computer's. Also, when i try to do a virus scan or any type of scan, a blu screen appears and says something like not enough memory. I would be happy if you give some kind of advice on helping my friend.

More about : friend computer

February 4, 2007 7:21:59 PM

Quote:
my friend's computer is acting really wierd. When he opens a new window for the internet, the computer freezes. After pressing ctrl+alt+del numerous times, the computer opens the browser. i dont think it is a browser problem but the computer's. Also, when i try to do a virus scan or any type of scan, a blu screen appears and says something like not enough memory. I would be happy if you give some kind of advice on helping my friend.

It sounds like your virtual memory is limited. That's where the RAM dumps to your hard drive. If that file is of limited size, it'll give you trouble for sure.

Control Panel>System>Advanced tab
Performance Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change button
You'll probably see numbers in the custom size boxes. Instead, click system managed size, then SET, then OKAY. You'll probably be asked to restart comp when you close all these boxes. Now Windows will control the size set aside for virtual memory, and you shouldn't have the "not enough memory" box show up again, unless you've got very limited space left on your hard drive.
February 4, 2007 7:56:35 PM

how long does it take to boot?
might have craploads of spyware and adware, dl ad-aware and spybot s&d. if they dont run....well the only thing i can think of is reinstall windows.
Related resources
February 4, 2007 8:21:46 PM

Start->My computer->right click->Properties

Pray tell, how much RAM is in the computer?

Always remember kids, specs, specs, specs!
February 4, 2007 11:40:59 PM

Quote:
how long does it take to boot?
might have craploads of spyware and adware, dl ad-aware and spybot s&d. if they dont run....well the only thing i can think of is reinstall windows.

You can always disable the garbage updaters in MSCONFIG. Just type that into the RUN command and go into the STARTUP tab. uncheck the BS. You can also stop the adware, hijacker stuff in MANAGE ADD-ONS in Internet Explorer.
!