Level up suggestions for Drd 5

I'm currently playing the Shadowlords series with an Elven Druid level 5.
I'm about to make L6 in Shadowlords 4, and am trying to decide on the next
level up. I'm considering L6 as Rogue, Wizard, or another level of Druid on
my way to Shifter. I have multiple Wizard oriented magic items from SL3
that I have not yet sold off, and I'm an Elf, so Wizard has to be an ok
choice. I would like better access to some of the stealthy type skills,
thus the thought about Rogue. I really don't know if Shifter is worthwhile,
and am considering it mainly because it is the logical PrC.

Any feedback

--
CaissaWas__SPAMHater__INTP@adelphia__ANTIV__.net without the block
11 answers Last reply

    David wrote:
    > I'm currently playing the Shadowlords series with an Elven Druid level 5.
    > I'm about to make L6 in Shadowlords 4, and am trying to decide on the next
    > level up. I'm considering L6 as Rogue, Wizard, or another level of Druid on
    > my way to Shifter. I have multiple Wizard oriented magic items from SL3
    > that I have not yet sold off, and I'm an Elf, so Wizard has to be an ok
    > choice. I would like better access to some of the stealthy type skills,
    > thus the thought about Rogue. I really don't know if Shifter is worthwhile,
    > and am considering it mainly because it is the logical PrC.
    >
    > Any feedback

    I played a druid for a little while and took a level in shifter at level
    7, to get the first few wildshapes, but I found that it might have just
    been better to stick with druid for the spells. So I'm not sure I'd
    choose any other class over shifter, and probably not even shifter either.

    "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >> I'm currently playing the Shadowlords series with an Elven Druid level 5.
    >> I'm about to make L6 in Shadowlords 4, and am trying to decide on the
    >> next level up. I'm considering L6 as Rogue, Wizard, or another level of
    >> Druid on my way to Shifter. I have multiple Wizard oriented magic items
    >> from SL3 that I have not yet sold off, and I'm an Elf, so Wizard has to
    >> be an ok choice. I would like better access to some of the stealthy type
    >> skills, thus the thought about Rogue. I really don't know if Shifter is
    >> worthwhile, and am considering it mainly because it is the logical PrC.
    >>
    >> Any feedback
    >>

    > I played a druid for a little while and took a level in shifter at level
    > 7, to get the first few wildshapes, but I found that it might have just
    > been better to stick with druid for the spells. So I'm not sure I'd choose
    > any other class over shifter, and probably not even shifter either.

    Thanks for the input. Sounds like time to keep the oak trees happy.
    --

    David wrote:
    > "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>David wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm currently playing the Shadowlords series with an Elven Druid level 5.
    >>>I'm about to make L6 in Shadowlords 4, and am trying to decide on the
    >>>next level up. I'm considering L6 as Rogue, Wizard, or another level of
    >>>Druid on my way to Shifter. I have multiple Wizard oriented magic items
    >>>from SL3 that I have not yet sold off, and I'm an Elf, so Wizard has to
    >>>be an ok choice. I would like better access to some of the stealthy type
    >>>skills, thus the thought about Rogue. I really don't know if Shifter is
    >>>worthwhile, and am considering it mainly because it is the logical PrC.
    >>>
    >>>Any feedback
    >>>

    >>I played a druid for a little while and took a level in shifter at level
    >>7, to get the first few wildshapes, but I found that it might have just
    >>been better to stick with druid for the spells. So I'm not sure I'd choose
    >>any other class over shifter, and probably not even shifter either.
    >

    > Thanks for the input. Sounds like time to keep the oak trees happy.

    Heh heh, druids are fun to roleplay. I'm still not done testing one out,
    so if you come across any interesting ideas, or problems, let me know! :)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    David wrote:
    > I'm currently playing the Shadowlords series with an Elven Druid level 5.
    > I'm about to make L6 in Shadowlords 4, and am trying to decide on the next
    > level up. I'm considering L6 as Rogue, Wizard, or another level of Druid on
    > my way to Shifter. I have multiple Wizard oriented magic items from SL3
    > that I have not yet sold off, and I'm an Elf, so Wizard has to be an ok
    > choice. I would like better access to some of the stealthy type skills,
    > thus the thought about Rogue. I really don't know if Shifter is worthwhile,
    > and am considering it mainly because it is the logical PrC.
    >
    > Any feedback

    If you take a level of rogue, you'll get a 20% xp penalty for probably
    the rest of the game.

    I'd go with another druid level, unless there are wizard items you
    really want to be able to use.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >> I'm currently playing the Shadowlords series with an Elven Druid level 5.
    >> I'm about to make L6 in Shadowlords 4, and am trying to decide on the
    >> next level up. I'm considering L6 as Rogue, Wizard, or another level of
    >> Druid on my way to Shifter. I have multiple Wizard oriented magic items
    >> from SL3 that I have not yet sold off, and I'm an Elf, so Wizard has to
    >> be an ok choice. I would like better access to some of the stealthy type
    >> skills, thus the thought about Rogue. I really don't know if Shifter is
    >> worthwhile, and am considering it mainly because it is the logical PrC.
    >>
    >> Any feedback
    >
    > If you take a level of rogue, you'll get a 20% xp penalty for probably the
    > rest of the game.

    That's a good point. I kept meaning to jump into rogue sooner, but there
    were always good reasons to stick w/Drd.

    > I'd go with another druid level, unless there are wizard items you really
    > want to be able to use.

    Not really. +2 AC, a minor wand, and an expectation that I might see a bit
    of Wizard gear from the locals in SL4.

    Your points are good for a vote toward Drd. I've taken a rank in each of
    Disarm Traps and Pick Locks (or whatever it's called in NWN), so can at
    least make an attempt at those skills when using a non-Rogue NPC.

    I'm planning on playing the same Character in the rest of the series after
    SL5, which largely gets us out of the XP penalty box at a cost of about 1/3
    of a level at Drd5/Rog4. Would that change your thinking?

    David

    --
    CaissaWas__SPAMHater__INTP@adelphia__ANTIV__.net without the block
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    David wrote:
    > I'm currently playing the Shadowlords series with an Elven Druid level 5.
    > I'm about to make L6 in Shadowlords 4, and am trying to decide on the next
    > level up. I'm considering L6 as Rogue, Wizard, or another level of Druid on
    > my way to Shifter. I have multiple Wizard oriented magic items from SL3
    > that I have not yet sold off, and I'm an Elf, so Wizard has to be an ok
    > choice. I would like better access to some of the stealthy type skills,
    > thus the thought about Rogue. I really don't know if Shifter is worthwhile,
    > and am considering it mainly because it is the logical PrC.
    >
    > Any feedback

    if u r looking for stealthy type skills u may want the shifter. hide,
    spot, and listen are class skills and the kobold commando for gets
    bonuses to these (among other things) as well as hide in plain site.
    this form comes as a lvl7 shifter. just my 2 cents
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    David wrote:

    > I'm planning on playing the same Character in the rest of the series after
    > SL5, which largely gets us out of the XP penalty box at a cost of about 1/3
    > of a level at Drd5/Rog4. Would that change your thinking?

    No, I'd say a ninth level druid, or even a druid 8/Shifter 1, is a good
    deal more powerful than a druid 5/rogue 4. Some of the druid spells are
    a lot of fun.

    As prestige classes go, the Shifter isn't exactly powerful, but it can
    sometimes be very useful--the first level wyrmling forms give you total
    immunity to any of five elements whenever you need it.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > David wrote:
    >
    >> I'm planning on playing the same Character in the rest of the series
    >> after SL5, which largely gets us out of the XP penalty box at a cost of
    >> about 1/3 of a level at Drd5/Rog4. Would that change your thinking?
    >
    > No, I'd say a ninth level druid, or even a druid 8/Shifter 1, is a good
    > deal more powerful than a druid 5/rogue 4. Some of the druid spells are a
    > lot of fun.
    >
    > As prestige classes go, the Shifter isn't exactly powerful, but it can
    > sometimes be very useful--the first level wyrmling forms give you total
    > immunity to any of five elements whenever you need it.

    Ok. Thanks for the insight. I haven't played a Druid in ages, thus the
    reason for the current character. I think I'll just play it out for the
    time being as a single class.

    --
    CaissaWas__SPAMHater__INTP@adelphia__ANTIV__.net without the block
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >
    >> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> I played a druid for a little while and took a level in shifter at
    >>> level 7, to get the first few wildshapes, but I found that it might
    >>> have just been better to stick with druid for the spells. So I'm not
    >>> sure I'd choose any other class over shifter, and probably not even
    >>> shifter either.
    >>

    >> Thanks for the input. Sounds like time to keep the oak trees happy.
    >

    > Heh heh, druids are fun to roleplay. I'm still not done testing one out,
    > so if you come across any interesting ideas, or problems, let me know! :)

    I like to play druids and shifters. I have found that I do prefer the
    spell power to most of the shifter forms.

    Druids get much, much more spell power. Including harm. It's good to
    go with. Druid also get shapeshifting abilities not open to a shifter
    with animal forms and elemental forms. The water elemental can use a
    drown effect unlimited uses per day, but it also damages the druid. The
    air elemental can use a whirlwind effect to damage and knock down every
    one around it an unlimited number of times per day. Also, the druid can
    take the epic dragon shape feat, with a penalty to effective level
    regarding the breath weapon. Whenever the druid shifts shape he loses
    most of his items abilities (i think armor, shield and helm abilities
    remain but plusses convert to deflection bonusses that do not stack) so
    a person has to remove and re-equip after shifting to these forms sometimes.

    Most of the shifter forms are not that powerful, but I do enjoy them.
    One of my favourites is the kobold commando, who gets roguelike
    abilities. These forms do improve with levels in most cases and a
    player can focus a build on specific forms. examples like
    weaponmaster/commando (shortsword) or weaponmaster/risen (scythe) make
    for a good build.

    In either case taking a LN alignment (if u can maintain it) and a couple
    levels of monk is useful (watch out for the xp penalty tho). a quick
    grab for evasion, cleave, flurry (for non weapon forms), deflect arrows,
    wis bonus to AC (in shifted forms mostly, but a druid may find his AC
    much higher without armor or in monk armor after a while), and access to
    the tumble and disciline skills. I highly recommend expertise and
    improved expertise as well. The AC bonus is substantial and can be used
    when not attacking, thus negating the attack penalty. Turn on expertise
    and breath fire or cast empowered firestorm. It helps either way. I
    would also recommend the druids wisdom buff. It adds 1/2 druid level to
    the character's wisdom, which increased DC saves and AC (if a monk).
    It's been a long post, so on a final note, epic spells can be cast in a
    shifted form. It's something to keep in mind.

    Hope this helps with planning. I may or may not be able to provide more
    advice with more specific questions.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Finn wrote:

    > I like to play druids and shifters. I have found that I do prefer the
    > spell power to most of the shifter forms.

    Yeah, I find that even though Shifter is a cool RP class for a druid, it
    might just be better to stick with the Druid levels to get the spells.
    I'm considering taking a level of monk, because I've heard the unarmed
    bonuses count when shifted, although I've also heard that it actually
    hurts you during the lower levels to take a level in monk, though I
    never understood why.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "David" <caissaintp@adelphia.net> wrote in

    > I'm currently playing the Shadowlords series with an Elven Druid
    > level 5. I'm about to make L6 in Shadowlords 4, and am trying to
    > decide on the next level up. I'm considering L6 as Rogue, Wizard,
    > or another level of Druid on my way to Shifter. I have multiple
    > Wizard oriented magic items from SL3 that I have not yet sold off,
    > and I'm an Elf, so Wizard has to be an ok choice. I would like
    > better access to some of the stealthy type skills, thus the
    > thought about Rogue. I really don't know if Shifter is
    > worthwhile, and am considering it mainly because it is the logical
    > PrC.
    >
    > Any feedback

    First feedback is that I went through the
    Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher series as a Shifter and the author and I
    worked out all the bugs (HOU added quite a bit that needed to be
    updated in the haks). I think Shifter is the most interesting class.
    I had no problems with "power" as in low power class, as some of the
    other people did.

    When you get to forms that have weapons, you are going to be in fine
    shape, unless you are playing in a module just dripping with +5 items.
    Mostly because almost all your items will merge then - you get most of
    the benefits anyway. It's a large improvement over the druid shapes,
    which will never merge more than armor, shield, and helm. The druid
    spells are great, but the flexibility of the shifter more than makes up
    for it IMHO.

    My drow always had a much better AC than the nominal "22" the base
    character gets. With a level in monk, and reasonable items, my AC was
    in the 40's in Dreamcatcher. In HOU, where you do get +5 everything,
    it was in the 50's. Since rings and belts merge, you can have a
    strength of 30 too. The Spell Resistance of 26 never hurts either.

    I do agree that the elder elemental forms for the druid are
    overwhelming. That, and some empowered firestorms can really do some
    damage.
    --
    John Viveiros
    xxjjv4xx@prodigy.net