Feb 4, 2007
asus a8n32-sli deluxe
xfx 7900gt sli
ocz 2g memory
enrmax 620w psu
amd 4000+ cpu
2 wd raptors raid 0
nzxt case

I can't restart and load windows after I remove the Logitech mx610 usb receiver. My system go into a loop of posting until the point it should load windows and just restarts again. I have tried removing the software, resetting cmos, and cleaning the registry with registry mechanic. So far nothing works. Do I have to do a windows repair?

So when you plug it back in, everything works fine?

run->services.msc

Look for any Logitec service and doubleclick it. Select "disabled" from the startup type.

Restart and see what happens.

davisr

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Yes, as long as the usb receiver is in any port, windows will come up with no problems.
I just tried going into services in the registry but I didn't see anything from a Logitech device. How about the HID input service?

no the HID is a catch-all and will not be good to disable it.

At this point, Logitec may be your best bet. They have free tech support and might know of a reason this could happen.

Note: If you boot into safemode, can you?
From here, you need to find the file that the system is requiring, deleting logitec files wont make a difference. I would assume it is a service since the machine will not load windows, but eh.

While in Safemode, run->msconfig and search for anything logitec related and disable it.

Uninstall devices from the device manager, such as HID devices (dont kill the service).

Uninstall anything under Mice and Other pointing devices.
Uninstall USB controllers (you may need to reinstall this after a reboot).

Talin

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
Comptia_rep is right in his suggestion, so you may want to follow his advice. I found out from Microsoft that booting in safe mode will actually remove some of the drivers that are stored in non-volatile ram or cached on the HD for windows to load when you run it, so even if you uninstall the drivers, when you reboot, it will reinstall them. I'd add a few things that you can try though.

1. Turn off System Restore, it may be restoring your settings because it thinks someone removed the drivers in error.

2. Boot it up with the device installed, go into add/remove devices, remove the driver from the control panel. Then Shut down, remove the device physiclaly and turn it on and attempt to boot it back up in Safe Mode. SHUT DOWN, do not restart from safe mode. Once the PC is shut off, turn it back on and attempt to boot normally.

I've given this tip to several of my techs across the country and have heard good results from several. It doesn't fix everything, obviously, but for those pesky issues where drivers keep remnants, it often will do wonders.

There are a lot of good ideas here, make sure that you read them carefully, skipping one step or glossing over one of the suggestions because it looks like what you did before could be a big mistake.

Suggestion:
Don't turn off System Restore as it may be needed if something screws up during the diagnostics... it is your only way back (at least for us over the internet).

Also: SR is not the method of which the system uses to replace the drivers.

davisr

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for all of the advice. One thing though, my system restore hasn't been working for a while now. That problem coupled with the USB problem lends me to beleive that I might need to just do a Windows repair or a clean reinstall.

randomizer

Champion
Well that would likely solve the problem, but its hardly convenient. Still it would probably take less time than trying to find the problem. One of the many reasons I will never get a wireless mouse.

this problem has nothing to do with the fact it is wireless. And I would even guess that it is not logitec's fault either, but something to do with windows.

Instead of running a sys_repair, run this

run->SFC /SCANNOW and put in your windows CD. That will repair any system files that are corrupt or missing.

Athalus_nubie

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Hey comptia_rep, you have made me curious. what is this run->SFC /SCANNOW? i have not heard of this command before, what is its purpose exactly?

Cheers mate

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
One thing though, my system restore hasn't been working for a while now. That problem coupled with the USB problem lends me to beleive that I might need to just do a Windows repair or a clean reinstall.
That's a bit curious, and sounds almost like a virus or spyware infection. I have come across spyware that installs itself into one of the Recycler bins, and from there, disables System Restore. You might want to check that out, too.

davisr

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I've ran virus scans using Norton and Trend virus protection and nothing showed up. Is there another way of checking?

davisr

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I just tried running the run->SFC /SCANNOW. It didn't change anything. Windows would not open normally or in safe mode with the receiver removed. This is really starting to bug me now. I'm just going to reinstall Windows again and quit dicking around with it.