intelamduser

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
As an old fart who has worked with PC's for over twenty years I am pretty naive regarding overclocking and have never really done any except for the old days and by accident when you had to set jumpers on a motherboard to set the speed of the processor.

I am running a ASUS P5W DH motherboard with a e6800 and recently updated the bios. When I restarted the system and went into the new bios to adjust things I noticed the overclocking profile setting had been changed from the old bios so I checked the 1200fsb and 800mhz ddr2.

This took the system upto 3314mhz.
I ran quite a few tests and loaded the system and the temperature stayed the same as before at about 37c.

Is ths normal for these systems? If so Intel can really crank things up.

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
As an old fart who has worked with PC's for over twenty years I am pretty naive regarding overclocking and have never really done any except for the old days and by accident when you had to set jumpers on a motherboard to set the speed of the processor.

I am running a ASUS P5W DH motherboard with a e6800 and recently updated the bios. When I restarted the system and went into the new bios to adjust things I noticed the overclocking profile setting had been changed from the old bios so I checked the 1200fsb and 800mhz ddr2.

This took the system upto 3314mhz.
I ran quite a few tests and loaded the system and the temperature stayed the same as before at about 37c.

Is ths normal for these systems? If so Intel can really crank things up.
You may find some interesting info in the link in my SIG. It discusses overclocking and the effect reducing the multiplier has on the northbridge fsb. Definitely informative 8O