Windows explorer takes for ever to start (30 mins)

Tags:
  • Windows Explorer
  • Windows XP
February 23, 2005 11:51:02 AM

February 20 I begin to notice that my Dell Dimension 8200 took longer to
start. I tried to open Windows explorer but it took 30 minutes to show the
files (My computer does the same). Internet explorer works fine as most other
programs. I suspected a virus or adware. I have Norton AV 2005 active in auto
update mode. I tried spybot but the software did not work. I think of a
harware failure and run checkdisk with all otions on. No errors founds.

I tried a system restore to the previous friday. no luck.

I did:
Disable System Restore
in safe mode run scan with Mwav (all options scan)
in safe mode run scan with Ad-AwareSE (use full system scan)
in safe mode run scan with SpySweeper
Enable system restore

A few adware and virus where found and eliminated.

But windows explorer still does not work and the computer still takes more
time then mormal to startup.

Does anyone has a clue or has seen such things?

More about : windows explorer takes start mins

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:49:03 PM

Download and install Lavasoft's Adware. Install MS Beta Spyware program.
Boot into Safe Mode and log on as administrator and see if you can install
Spybot now. Run Lavasoft Adware and spyware. After it finds something
then reboot again in safe mode with Networking and logon as administrator.
Download all the updates for all three programs and run them again. You might
find a few things that were missed when you logged on as yourself. Hope this
helps.

"Leiloucan" wrote:

> February 20 I begin to notice that my Dell Dimension 8200 took longer to
> start. I tried to open Windows explorer but it took 30 minutes to show the
> files (My computer does the same). Internet explorer works fine as most other
> programs. I suspected a virus or adware. I have Norton AV 2005 active in auto
> update mode. I tried spybot but the software did not work. I think of a
> harware failure and run checkdisk with all otions on. No errors founds.
>
> I tried a system restore to the previous friday. no luck.
>
> I did:
> Disable System Restore
> in safe mode run scan with Mwav (all options scan)
> in safe mode run scan with Ad-AwareSE (use full system scan)
> in safe mode run scan with SpySweeper
> Enable system restore
>
> A few adware and virus where found and eliminated.
>
> But windows explorer still does not work and the computer still takes more
> time then mormal to startup.
>
> Does anyone has a clue or has seen such things?
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:15:14 PM

Be sure to defragment your hard drive. You should keep an eye on it for
fragmentation anyway.

"Leiloucan" <Leiloucan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> February 20 I begin to notice that my Dell Dimension 8200 took longer to
> start. I tried to open Windows explorer but it took 30 minutes to show the
> files (My computer does the same). Internet explorer works fine as most
> other
> programs. I suspected a virus or adware. I have Norton AV 2005 active in
> auto
> update mode. I tried spybot but the software did not work. I think of a
> harware failure and run checkdisk with all otions on. No errors founds.
>
> I tried a system restore to the previous friday. no luck.
>
> I did:
> Disable System Restore
> in safe mode run scan with Mwav (all options scan)
> in safe mode run scan with Ad-AwareSE (use full system scan)
> in safe mode run scan with SpySweeper
> Enable system restore
>
> A few adware and virus where found and eliminated.
>
> But windows explorer still does not work and the computer still takes more
> time then mormal to startup.
>
> Does anyone has a clue or has seen such things?
February 23, 2005 10:31:01 PM

Defrag does not work either

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Be sure to defragment your hard drive. You should keep an eye on it for
> fragmentation anyway.

> "Leiloucan" <Leiloucan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > February 20 I begin to notice that my Dell Dimension 8200 took longer to
> > start. I tried to open Windows explorer but it took 30 minutes to show the
> > files (My computer does the same). Internet explorer works fine as most
> > other
> > programs. I suspected a virus or adware. I have Norton AV 2005 active in
> > auto
> > update mode. I tried spybot but the software did not work. I think of a
> > harware failure and run checkdisk with all otions on. No errors founds.
> >
> > I tried a system restore to the previous friday. no luck.
> >
> > I did:
> > Disable System Restore
> > in safe mode run scan with Mwav (all options scan)
> > in safe mode run scan with Ad-AwareSE (use full system scan)
> > in safe mode run scan with SpySweeper
> > Enable system restore
> >
> > A few adware and virus where found and eliminated.
> >
> > But windows explorer still does not work and the computer still takes more
> > time then mormal to startup.
> >
> > Does anyone has a clue or has seen such things?

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 10:39:02 PM

Thx for the help, here are the results.
In admin safe mode spybot worked but did not find anything.
I have run Lavasoft's Adware and it found cookies that have been removed.
I could not download MS Beta Spyware program because the identification
process did not accepted the serial number even if it is legal. The problem
is not solved. Also defrag does not work. Also even when i boot in safe mode,
the longer delay is still present like if the thing loaded itself even in
safe mode!!!

"Hunter B" wrote:

> Download and install Lavasoft's Adware. Install MS Beta Spyware program.
> Boot into Safe Mode and log on as administrator and see if you can install
> Spybot now. Run Lavasoft Adware and spyware. After it finds something
> then reboot again in safe mode with Networking and logon as administrator.
> Download all the updates for all three programs and run them again. You might
> find a few things that were missed when you logged on as yourself. Hope this
> helps.
>
> "Leiloucan" wrote:
>
> > February 20 I begin to notice that my Dell Dimension 8200 took longer to
> > start. I tried to open Windows explorer but it took 30 minutes to show the
> > files (My computer does the same). Internet explorer works fine as most other
> > programs. I suspected a virus or adware. I have Norton AV 2005 active in auto
> > update mode. I tried spybot but the software did not work. I think of a
> > harware failure and run checkdisk with all otions on. No errors founds.
> >
> > I tried a system restore to the previous friday. no luck.
> >
> > I did:
> > Disable System Restore
> > in safe mode run scan with Mwav (all options scan)
> > in safe mode run scan with Ad-AwareSE (use full system scan)
> > in safe mode run scan with SpySweeper
> > Enable system restore
> >
> > A few adware and virus where found and eliminated.
> >
> > But windows explorer still does not work and the computer still takes more
> > time then mormal to startup.
> >
> > Does anyone has a clue or has seen such things?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:46:50 AM

Go to START>RUN and then enter 'sfc /scannow' without quotes and be sure to
put a space before the /. After the reboot see what you have and post back.
That should fix the programs like defrag and any other system files that are
corrupted. Then we can proceed to troubleshoot the slowdown if it remains.

> Defrag does not work either
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Be sure to defragment your hard drive. You should keep an eye on it for
>> fragmentation anyway.
>>
>> --
>> "Leiloucan" <Leiloucan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > February 20 I begin to notice that my Dell Dimension 8200 took longer
>> > start. I tried to open Windows explorer but it took 30 minutes to show
>> > the
>> > files (My computer does the same). Internet explorer works fine as most
>> > other
>> > programs. I suspected a virus or adware. I have Norton AV 2005 active
>> > in
>> > auto
>> > update mode. I tried spybot but the software did not work. I think of a
>> > harware failure and run checkdisk with all otions on. No errors founds.
>> >
>> > I tried a system restore to the previous friday. no luck.
>> >
>> > I did:
>> > Disable System Restore
>> > in safe mode run scan with Mwav (all options scan)
>> > in safe mode run scan with Ad-AwareSE (use full system scan)
>> > in safe mode run scan with SpySweeper
>> > Enable system restore
>> >
>> > A few adware and virus where found and eliminated.
>> >
>> > But windows explorer still does not work and the computer still takes
>> > more
>> > time then mormal to startup.
>> >
>> > Does anyone has a clue or has seen such things?

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:27:01 AM

I did it, rebooted and reactivated Windows XP. Windows explorer and defrag
still does not work!

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Go to START>RUN and then enter 'sfc /scannow' without quotes and be sure to
> put a space before the /. After the reboot see what you have and post back.
> That should fix the programs like defrag and any other system files that are
> corrupted. Then we can proceed to troubleshoot the slowdown if it remains.

> "Leiloucan" <Leiloucan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Defrag does not work either
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> Be sure to defragment your hard drive. You should keep an eye on it for
> >> fragmentation anyway.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> >> "Leiloucan" <Leiloucan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:01:03 PM

Following Colin Barnhorst last advice i had to reenter Windows serial number
and I realized that I had made a typo yesterday. I was able to download MS
Beta Spyware and run it in safe mode admin. If found 7 problems that have
been removed. Windows explorer and defrag still does not work.

"Hunter B" wrote:

> Download and install Lavasoft's Adware. Install MS Beta Spyware program.
> Boot into Safe Mode and log on as administrator and see if you can install
> Spybot now. Run Lavasoft Adware and spyware. After it finds something
> then reboot again in safe mode with Networking and logon as administrator.
> Download all the updates for all three programs and run them again. You might
> find a few things that were missed when you logged on as yourself. Hope this
> helps.
>
> "Leiloucan" wrote:
>
> > February 20 I begin to notice that my Dell Dimension 8200 took longer to
> > start. I tried to open Windows explorer but it took 30 minutes to show the
> > files (My computer does the same). Internet explorer works fine as most other
> > programs. I suspected a virus or adware. I have Norton AV 2005 active in auto
> > update mode. I tried spybot but the software did not work. I think of a
> > harware failure and run checkdisk with all otions on. No errors founds.
> >
> > I tried a system restore to the previous friday. no luck.
> >
> > I did:
> > Disable System Restore
> > in safe mode run scan with Mwav (all options scan)
> > in safe mode run scan with Ad-AwareSE (use full system scan)
> > in safe mode run scan with SpySweeper
> > Enable system restore
> >
> > A few adware and virus where found and eliminated.
> >
> > But windows explorer still does not work and the computer still takes more
> > time then mormal to startup.
> >
> > Does anyone has a clue or has seen such things?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:09:21 PM

Defrag is *not* a diagnostic tool and should *not* be used in an attempt to
fix a problem of this nature.

--
Walter Clayton
http://www.dts-l.org

> Be sure to defragment your hard drive. You should keep an eye on it for
> fragmentation anyway.

> "Leiloucan" <Leiloucan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> February 20 I begin to notice that my Dell Dimension 8200 took longer to
>> start. I tried to open Windows explorer but it took 30 minutes to show
>> the
>> files (My computer does the same). Internet explorer works fine as most
>> other
>> programs. I suspected a virus or adware. I have Norton AV 2005 active in
>> auto
>> update mode. I tried spybot but the software did not work. I think of a
>> harware failure and run checkdisk with all otions on. No errors founds.
>>
>> I tried a system restore to the previous friday. no luck.
>>
>> I did:
>> Disable System Restore
>> in safe mode run scan with Mwav (all options scan)
>> in safe mode run scan with Ad-AwareSE (use full system scan)
>> in safe mode run scan with SpySweeper
>> Enable system restore
>>
>> A few adware and virus where found and eliminated.
>>
>> But windows explorer still does not work and the computer still takes
>> more
>> time then mormal to startup.
>>
>> Does anyone has a clue or has seen such things?

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:37:05 AM

Thx for trying to help. Yes it does the same in safe mode (admin also).
!