A micro Atx power supply

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Must I choose a micro atx power supply with a micro atx case? And what would you recommend for an amd x2 3800+ (planning to oc) with 2 gig 800mhz ddr2, and an ati x1650 xt or x1950 pro? I'm looking at a 350- 400 watt power supply, and I looked at that Power Supply 101, and I got a little confused, I don't see any micro atx power supplies with 12 volt rails.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Order=POPULARITY&Page=1&Category=32&N=2010320058+1131310094+1131414175&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&SubCategory=58

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
All PSus have at least 1 +12v raill. Look at the picture of the label. It has 20A on a single +12v rail. That isn't enough power to run you system with those video card. You limit your self alot by using a mATX case. There are options to suplement the power of that PSU. Theremaltake makes an addon PSU that sits in a 5.25" bay. It offers 2 6 pin PCI-e and is designed to power only video cards. So that will take about 6A to 10A off the PSU's load. Depending on the video card you go with.
I don't suppose you can throw an atx power supply in a micro atx case? Or a micro atx board in a regular atx case?

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
I've had 2 generic mATX cases and used a regular ATX PSU.
Still using one now, had a TT420w PSU, now a POS Ultra 600w PSU.
Just needed to make sure of the size of the PSU, some are bigger now.

@RandMcNally, do you have a link or pic of the case?

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I've had 2 generic mATX cases and used a regular ATX PSU.
Still using one now, had a TT420w PSU, now a POS Ultra 600w PSU.
Just needed to make sure of the size of the PSU, some are bigger now.

@RandMcNally, do you have a link or pic of the case?
No because I'm really unsure of what I can get. Here's what I want.
Amd x2 3800+ or x2 3600+ or opteron 1210
2 gig ddr2 800
vista premium/ultimate
320 gig or 250 gig hard drive, 7200 rpm
x1650xt most likely, whichever brand isn't expensive
I want an inexpensive motherboard that is good at over clocking, and I really don't require sli or crossfire, because I plan to continuously upgrade my setup over the next 7 or so years, and I don't need any super powerful graphics. I've chose this mATX motherboard. It's supposed to be an absolute awesome over clocker (according to the web reviews):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127013&ATT=13-127-013&CMP=OTC-d3alt1me
I plan on over clocking, and I want this all in the sub 1000 dollar level. If you could tell me what you think as far as power supply/case/cpu/operating system. I realize this may not be the right forum, so maybe just suggest a power supply and case for good power and airflow. Oh and I want something small, a friend of mine has a case that is at least 2 feet tall.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
MicroATX Mid Tower's
APEX TM-302-3 Black/ Silver Steel MicroATX Mid Tower - This is similar to my other computer in the mATX.
SILVERSTONE SST-TJ08-B Black Aluminum front panel - My choice for cooling, 2x120mm fans.

As for PSU, get as powerful & quality of a unit as you can so you don't have to upgrade this also. Pay more now so you don't have to buy again. Just check the dimensions too.

Two Cores at a Low Cost: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ CPU Review
Have a read through this, it might help with the decision on which CPU you want.

Your mobo looks OK, Abit is a good brand.
Get the 320gig HD.
Vista??? I'm not a fan of this OS, I'll let others find it's hidden surprises out first. Maybe after SP1a comes out, they are going to rush SP1.
X1650XT looks like a good choice to me. I take it this is not a gaming rig then?
2x1gig DDR2 800 will be fine for Windows XP.
2x2gig DDR2 800 would be better for Vista.

Hope some of this helps.

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
MicroATX Mid Tower's
APEX TM-302-3 Black/ Silver Steel MicroATX Mid Tower - This is similar to my other computer in the mATX.
SILVERSTONE SST-TJ08-B Black Aluminum front panel - My choice for cooling, 2x120mm fans.

As for PSU, get as powerful & quality of a unit as you can so you don't have to upgrade this also. Pay more now so you don't have to buy again. Just check the dimensions too.

Two Cores at a Low Cost: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ CPU Review
Have a read through this, it might help with the decision on which CPU you want.

Your mobo looks OK, Abit is a good brand.
Get the 320gig HD.
Vista??? I'm not a fan of this OS, I'll let others find it's hidden surprises out first. Maybe after SP1a comes out, they are going to rush SP1.
X1650XT looks like a good choice to me. I take it this is not a gaming rig then?
2x1gig DDR2 800 will be fine for Windows XP.
2x2gig DDR2 800 would be better for Vista.

Hope some of this helps.
Okay look at an atx case? Anything that doesn't look retardedly modded, pretty simple, I cannot go to 4 gigs ddr2 800. Too expensive. I play hl2 and it's mods, pretty much nothing else, which is why I'm not going to go to xp, I figure drivers will catch up and it'll all be fine in the next few months. I've decided on the x2 3600+(65nm-to be overclocked) combo motherboard deal from newegg. All I need now is ultimate or premium?
So an atx case and a psu?

lptech

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Go with a Mid-Tower or Full-Tower since the Micro-Tower cases with a standard ATX power supply for room for a regular ATX power supply would be a better choice. Normally Micro-ATX cases won't have adequate room to allow for proper cooling. There are just isn't enough room for air circulate and cool properly in most Micro-ATX case designs.

As far as power supplies go, buy the best quality and warranty that your money could buy. I would suggest a PC Power & Cooling, Inc. power supply. They are very good quality and solidly built. I've got one of their power supplies on one of my machines and it has been running strong for the past 8+ years without any glitches. The other brands are all hyped up in my humble opinion since I've seen many of them fail. (i.e. - Antec, Enermax, ThermalTake, etc.)

Check out this link to help with your research:

http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/

There you will find good solid advice that most power supply companies won't even bring to your attention. Hope that the link will be helpful in your decision-making.