Sign in with
Your question

Antec P180, give. or take?

Last response: in Components
February 4, 2007 9:38:36 PM

should i get the antec P180 case?
how is it in cooling, sound muffling, and just aesthetics?
i am 14, so i want my case to be cool looking, but ive realized that mabye having a LED light on all the time, next to my LCD might not be that cool...

so idk, jsut tell me everything you know about it, what you think about it, and its value at 80 bucks...

and compare it to mabye another 50 to 80 dollar case....

thanks.

More about : antec p180 give

February 4, 2007 11:52:44 PM

oh, and does the antec trio 650 watt have cables long enough to serve in this case well?

i would suppose that since they are both by antec they would be perfectly fine together?

again, thanks
February 5, 2007 3:42:39 AM

There is no case perfect for everyone. Each person has different expectations from the hardware they purchase. Examples:
-price
-ventilation
-quietness
-size
-appearance

From your text, it seems that your #1 goal is "look cool". In that respect, there are better cases than the P180 to fit your expectations.

The P180 is more for those who are looking for a quiet case.
Related resources
February 5, 2007 3:36:14 PM

The P180 looks good, but not necessarily "cool". It's sleek and streamlined, not flashy. It can be quiet and reasonable cooling, or loud with great cooling. There are better case solutions for great air cooling or quietness, but the p180 seems to do both decently. The fan filters are a nice addition, so your interior components dont get caked with dust.

From my experience, organizing cables into the case is somewhat difficult. The exterior of the p180 gives the impression that its gigantic and roomy on the interior, which isnt true. It keeps my C2D E6400 @3.2Ghz very cool with a scythe infinity, with only adding one intake fan. The built in fans on the p180 are pretty good.

I love antec's construction on their cases, so that was a major selling point.

I had to order extension cables for my OCZ Gamextream 600W 24pin and 4 pin motherboard connectors to route the cables properly.
February 5, 2007 3:37:51 PM

I have a P180 and love everything about it
February 5, 2007 4:58:58 PM

yeah, i already ordered it, but i dont rly like the see through window, and i dont rly like the LED light

i think that it looks to serve my needs well, and i think that the cooling seems to be one of the better ones, especially for only 80 bucks...

it also has free shipping,,,,,

so...

yeah , any other views would be appreciated...
February 5, 2007 7:33:12 PM

By LED light do you mean the power light? Any computer will have that (providing you connect the light to the motherboard).

I'm confused by your post, you mentioned a see through window, the Antec P180 does not normally have a window installed.
February 5, 2007 9:00:13 PM

nah, im retarded...

i meant that the p180 is cool, and i dont rly like the LED fans and see through windows of OTHER cases...

i mean, if u think about having a bright light next to ur bright LCD in the dark at like 1 in the morning, its kinda gay...

do u guys agree? 8)
February 5, 2007 10:57:17 PM

I completely agree. Even though I dont run my computer 24/7, i think a large amount of lighting and windows and all that crap makes a computer look better than it usually preforms. I prefer a great looking case that preforms very well to something that looks really good.

I love the P180, the only complaint is that it only has 4 5.25" bays, I would like a 5th.
February 6, 2007 8:50:15 PM

is it worth going with that many hard drives, or in RAID 0?
isnt it more suceptable to crashes aND FAILures then>?
February 6, 2007 11:05:34 PM

Hard drives don't go in 5.25" bays. I put a fan controller, 2 dvd drives, and an audigy front drive filling up my 5.25" bays. I wanted one more bay to throw some more stuff in, but no luck. I only use two hard drives (250GB's) not in a raid config. I prefer the safety of having two separate drives and I dont see the need to add in extra drives for mirroring.
February 7, 2007 5:43:51 PM

i SHOULD be gettin it today...

anymore views?>
February 7, 2007 6:05:41 PM

I think the look and build of the p180 is nice, and i also agree with the view on windowed cases and LED fans etc. The only thing i dont like is the way the door on the front panel opens, which is to the left :(  since Put my computer on my right, (on the desk) the door would get in the way. But then again thats just me and my setup.
February 7, 2007 6:46:23 PM

I have a P180. Loved it at first sight.

A few caveats, though.

A loaded P180 is heavy. Even empty, it's quite hefty.

Wire management will be challenging. That's a guarantee. If you're the type who likes to keep his wiring neat and tidy, the P180 is not a good case to work with. Aside from airflow control, though, the compulsion to make your cable management artful is largely an indulgence to vanity (something I indulge in, in fact).

As another respondent said, the exterior dimensions will fool you into thinking it's a big case inside. It's not. It's horribly cramped. This makes the case a bit tough to work in. However, on the plus side, the quality of manufacture is very good. You won't get wounded working inside a P180 (I've had a few nicks and cuts in other, inferior cases).

The front door contributes much to the clean, sleek aesthetic of the case, but it's also prone to warping. Mine warped several months after I bought it. I've read in several websites that this is a common issue with the P180, one that Antec supposedly addressed in a revised version of the model. However, even some of the revised examples had warping issues.

This warping issue drove me to get another case for myself. The P180 is now my dad's PC's home. The warping, strangely enough, seems to come and go, a phenomenon I simply cannot explain. I thought it might be a temperature-driven issue, but I'm not sure anymore.

Hope this helps!
a c 139 ) Power supply
February 7, 2007 6:54:15 PM

I have a whole lot of Antec cases and as much as I have liked each one (9 here now) I have found each new one to be a significant improvement on the older. That would have me leaning to the 900 series case over the 180.

I would also make sure to get the optional front fan.
a c 139 ) Power supply
February 7, 2007 7:03:17 PM

Though becoming less and less common due to case manufacturers providing more mounting options, it has been quite common to mount a 3.5" drive in a 5.25 inch bay, especially if cooling them is important to you. It's not that long ago where a case has just one or max two HD mounting bays.

I have Antec cases (albeit older then the 180) with 15k SCSI drives mounted in 5.25 inch drive bays inside bay coolers. In fact, IIRC, the drive cage with fan concept originated with a "fit 3 HD's into twin 5.25 bays" thingie one could buy as an option on older Antec Cases....at least it was first time I had seen it.

On my older rigs, the HD is mounted in a cooler frame which has a HD temp monitor LED / Alarm system and fans mounted in a 5.25" bay and the 3.5" drives mounted in cages behind it.
February 7, 2007 9:19:13 PM

We have a P180 with an Antec power supply that is used as our server. We also have 2 NSK 4400's for workstations.

I think they are both great cases - Quiet with a reasonable amount of space.

If you don't connect the light cables, the cases are dark (except for the lighted cooling fans). A piece of electrical tape over the monitor light solves that problem.
February 8, 2007 1:17:31 AM

Am I going crazy or is your avatar George Ohm like Mpilchfamily's?
February 8, 2007 2:02:12 AM

Quote:
yeah, i already ordered it, but i dont rly like the see through window, and i dont rly like the LED light

i think that it looks to serve my needs well, and i think that the cooling seems to be one of the better ones, especially for only 80 bucks...

it also has free shipping,,,,,

so...

yeah , any other views would be appreciated...

Well, the view that matters is what are your expectations versus what this case has to offer.

The QFD tool (Quality Function deployment) would be totally adequate for this. (google it and learn how it functions.. you will love this tool).
List your expectations/requirements in the line items, attribute a weight for each criteria. In the vertical columns, put the cases you consider. Then for each case/criteria, put a score that reflects the level at which this specific case satisfies this specific criteria. Once you are done, you can perform a weighted sum and the total should reflect the degree at which each case would satisfy your needs.
February 8, 2007 5:40:08 PM

lolz, it was, but then i got banned with it so i changed it back to normal, and im BACk
lolz....just to piss him off
hahaha
him nad his 32A recommendations
February 9, 2007 2:26:41 AM

Wtf, man? thats seriously uncool...
February 10, 2007 3:28:42 PM

im a bad guy
February 11, 2007 2:56:44 PM

I used to own a very BLING case, all tweaked out, bad A$$. Sold it LOL, got the P180B. Love it.

-Very quiet
-minimalist design, clean and classy, but no frills. Some will think it looks "plain"
-cable management is TOUGH. Take times to get it right.
-lotsa room for hard drives
-lotsa options for fan placements
-great airflow
-excellent balance between quiet and performance

And they key here is that it's very affordable. Other cases with this build quality cost ALOT more. Other cases with this many drive bays cost ALOT more.

So, there are cases on the market that may be quieter, or more room, or more drive bays, or more sexy........but the P180 does all of these things WELL and at a very good price.
February 13, 2007 11:05:13 PM

ur 15?
i see, as i am also, but, i rly doubt that it will matter about having some blue LED lights...so now everyone can see the dust

and the p180 is quiet, so now i can "do homework at one in the morning" *wink**wink*
oh, btw, im not talkin about video games
February 14, 2007 2:13:31 AM

Quote:
and the p180 is quiet, so now i can "do homework at one in the morning" *wink**wink*
oh, btw, im not talkin about video games

ahhh...kids these days
February 14, 2007 8:43:42 PM

lol, same not 15 yet, but in april, and yeah, do u rly think i need that much antivirus if i do that?
i mean, couldnt i jsut have avg, spybot, and mabye one other?
although mabye ill jsut do it on this computer cause it has a pentium 3 and sucks a$$
idk.
February 14, 2007 9:40:43 PM

Quote:
I have a P180. Loved it at first sight.

A few caveats, though.

A loaded P180 is heavy. Even empty, it's quite hefty.

Wire management will be challenging. That's a guarantee. If you're the type who likes to keep his wiring neat and tidy, the P180 is not a good case to work with. Aside from airflow control, though, the compulsion to make your cable management artful is largely an indulgence to vanity (something I indulge in, in fact).

As another respondent said, the exterior dimensions will fool you into thinking it's a big case inside. It's not. It's horribly cramped. This makes the case a bit tough to work in. However, on the plus side, the quality of manufacture is very good. You won't get wounded working inside a P180 (I've had a few nicks and cuts in other, inferior cases).

The front door contributes much to the clean, sleek aesthetic of the case, but it's also prone to warping. Mine warped several months after I bought it. I've read in several websites that this is a common issue with the P180, one that Antec supposedly addressed in a revised version of the model. However, even some of the revised examples had warping issues.

This warping issue drove me to get another case for myself. The P180 is now my dad's PC's home. The warping, strangely enough, seems to come and go, a phenomenon I simply cannot explain. I thought it might be a temperature-driven issue, but I'm not sure anymore.

Hope this helps!

Yep It is a great case and like everyone else has said....it is fun to wire! I used a lot of zip ties! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
February 14, 2007 9:44:48 PM

You're 14. Now THAT explains things.........
February 15, 2007 1:13:46 AM

Quote:
I guess, but at least download avg antispyware which is also free, it's better than spybot and ad aware

That's what I have now too. I was sick and tired of paying for Norton renewal every year
February 15, 2007 5:32:56 PM

what's tht supposed to mean.
yes, i dont use grammer correctly, but thats jsut because i dont want to
and, yes i do "homework", but doesnt every 14 year old? ;) 
oh, and how will the p180 do with an antec truepower trio 650 watt, with wiring and all?
and how will it do with a gigabyte ds3?
February 15, 2007 7:51:41 PM

It means that your common pointless, non-topical, and nonsensical comments, in addition to your racial slurs in other threads are an accurate reflection of your age and lack of adult experience.

Translation: you act like a little kid around here and now we know why. Try to grow up a bit.
February 15, 2007 8:53:37 PM

LOL I have 2 babies at home, you have no idea what kind of patience that takes. This guy is a piece of cake to deal with by comparison.

Give him a break? No. Wrong is wrong. He'll never learn if nobody ever points out to him what's right and wrong in the world. I'm not his father, but these forums are not the place for childish behaviour, as you point out yourself. You're 14, yet you don't act like a little kid. Now, why is that? I think we both know why.

So if he wants to act like a big boy, then he should start....not pick and choose when.

I'll never knock or berate someone because of their age, or for any other reason for that matter. At 14, he has the right to act like a kid. But spouting off like an "adult" and then blaming it on his age, well.....you can't have it both ways. That just smacks of immaturity to begin with. I'm sure you see the irony there, especially since you're the same age as him, yet night and day more mature. (there was a compliment there somewhere Taco LOL).

Flaming? Naw, I'd rather not waste my time and drag it on further. It just needed to be said because by keeping silent, he's being encouraged into thinking his actions/behavior is acceptable.........but it's not. Silence is often mistaken for compliance.

And there you have it.

So to quote Mr. Gump, "That's all I have to say about that".
February 15, 2007 10:47:43 PM

Quote:
Hard drives don't go in 5.25" bays. I put a fan controller, 2 dvd drives, and an audigy front drive filling up my 5.25" bays. I wanted one more bay to throw some more stuff in, but no luck. I only use two hard drives (250GB's) not in a raid config. I prefer the "safety" of having two separate drives and I dont see the need to add in extra drives for mirroring.

Sorry to get off topic but what is safe about 2 seperate HD's not in a RAID configuration?? Do you do backups?? If not then i would strongly suggest you get something. you wouldn't want your "homework" disappearing because your 2nd drive failed... Don't put out there that 2 HD's not in RAID is safe... NOOBs will suck info up like that and regret it later...

Not a flame just a help for NOOBS

BTW the P180 is a great case. You might not like the weight but you'll love the space and ease of modifying\working in it.
February 15, 2007 11:24:26 PM

You failed to mention my favorite part - the removable air filters. The insides are kept really clean, despite the good airflow.

The P180B is not for everyone - but it is one solid case.

Cheers.
February 16, 2007 1:22:10 AM

Hey Taco... I am very impressed with your knowledge of computers especially after reading that you are 14... That to me is amazing... Its good to see that future generations are stepping it up... Keep up the great work...
Regards,
Denver
February 16, 2007 3:48:13 PM

god, i love this thread.
yeah, i COULD act more "mature" if i wanted to, and yes, saying the n-word is quite racial, but wtf?
and, well no sh!t i lack adult experience, I'm not an adult yet, but i doubt many 14/15 years olds know as much about how computers work as me, or too a greater extent I Love Tacos.

oh, and i read an earlier post by u Taco Lover, u had dial up too?
dude, i still have it...its so bad.

so, anyway. skyguy, good luck with ur babies ;) 
February 16, 2007 4:56:31 PM

Sorry, never had dialup. You must have read that wrong......again.

And yes, saying the N-word is a racial slur. But not "WTF?" It's called saying "I'M SORRY" to those you offend......and I'm a Caucasian. Try it sometime, you might learn something.

And no, it's not about "computers" like Taco. It's about decency, something Taco realizes.

And thank you, I will have fun with my babies, they are the big bright spot in my life.

And just for the record, to clear the air, I'm not mad or pi$$ed or anything. I'm not. I'm not here to flame you. I honestly wish you the best, and I sincerely hope you can learn some important lessons without getting hurt too much yourself. I've been there, done that, so I know what it's like......and THAT'S why I'm not "attacking" you, I'm simply trying to point out some things to you.

Just take a minute, and THINK about how other people can be affected or hurt by what you say. That's all I ask. I'm sure you're a smart kid, so just stop for a minute and see it from someone else's perspective, cool?

Just keep that in mind and you'll find that as you get older people will listen to you because they'll respect what you have to say. But if you keep talking trash then nobody will listen to you, nobody will ever respect you. And that's not cool.

Alright, we're cool. S'all good Lion. Just make an effort kid and you'll do just fine. Good? Ok, moving on now.......

So, I see you asked a question, so to answer you: The DS3 will do awesome in an Antec P180....I have the DS3 myself. The only problem you *might* get with the Antec Trio is trying to get the 4-pin ATX power cable to the top of the motherboard without making a mess of your cables. It'll reach, but cable management in the P180 is VERY challenging. It takes time and patience to make your inside look clean and good. But other than that, the P180 is an awesome case. It's not the BEST case for insane overclocks, but it's a killer in just about everything. I love it! Good luck with your build, sounds like you're gonna have a nice setup!
February 16, 2007 7:58:02 PM

I was talking about I_Love_tacos dial-up.
Yeah, w/e I'm an asshole online sometimes, 'cause it's easy to say stuff like that to people you've never met, and never will, compared to people you know in real life.

Do you guys use photoshop to crop your avatars so they'll fit?
February 16, 2007 8:09:42 PM

They said in the manual for it *obviously for marketing* that the Neo, Phantom, and Truepower 2.0 series would work well in this case.
I just placed an order for a $60 Antec Truepower Trio 650 watt, but I'm not sure if this is the same Do you think it would work well?
February 16, 2007 9:22:52 PM

Excellent case, highly reccomend it... only thing i can fault it for is the fact that it's not silent, damn quiet but not silent... then again i'm a perfectionist on the silent front, with all my Nexus fans etc... but still would give it 10/10, love it to bits :D  in my view there's not a better case out there for the price
February 17, 2007 1:04:26 AM

My Zalman 9500 is actually the loudest thing in my P180......stupid 9500. I'm gonna mod it this weekend....replace the stock 92mm with an Antec Tri-cool, and then slap on a Noctua 120mm 1200rpm on the front, hooked up to the fan controller. Hellya, she's gonna be silent and coooool ;) 
February 17, 2007 1:12:28 AM

Would you say that getting an aftermarket cooler for a c2d at stock speeds is worth it?
I-Love_tacos what is your setup?
Would getting an am cooler be a good choice in my p180B?
February 17, 2007 1:12:47 AM

Would you say that getting an aftermarket cooler for a c2d at stock speeds is worth it?
I-Love_tacos what is your setup?
Would getting an am cooler be a good choice in my p180B?
February 17, 2007 2:23:13 PM

Yeah, but did you overclock your x2?
Is it worth getting an aftermarket for a CPU running at stock speeds?
Will the temps go down at all?
February 17, 2007 2:33:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but did you overclock your x2?
Is it worth getting an aftermarket for a CPU running at stock speeds?
Will the temps go down at all?

an aftermarket what?
February 18, 2007 3:01:17 AM

i've had the P180 for almost a month now. great case with AMAZING cooling and the dust filters in the front are a nice touch. It does a very good job at keeping noise levels down also. My only complaint is the power supply area, first its hard to get the power supply in there and running the wires from it is a REAL PAIN, i had to push all the wires through the tiny hole and put the supply in front the right side of the case(if looking from the front), but besides that i have to complaints, best case i have ever had. i got mine from compusa for $100 then got a $50 mail in rebate, steal of a deal.
February 18, 2007 1:35:14 PM

Yeah, I got mine for $80 after a $40 MiR. Haven't build with it yet.
I saw the Antec 900 for $65 after rebate, but this was after I bought this, and now I feel kinda stupid. But, they are both pretty equal in features, right?
It was still a good buy.
February 19, 2007 12:03:32 AM

Yeah, well I've had the case for a week now, I've already sent the rebate in (40), and do you really think its better?
Why did you buy urs instead of a 900?
Idk, the silence is prolly better on the p180 because it has no acrylic window, which lets sound get out easy.
And, this is jsut nitpicking anyway, because the p180 for 80 bucks is a steal, the 900 for 65 is a crzy steal, but both own, although the LED's on the 900 are cool.
Just pisses me off, cause if i had to choose between the 2, i probably would pick the 900. But i think its too late now.
February 19, 2007 11:16:19 PM

yeah, but this is jsut nit-picking, right?
when ur friends come over, do they say ur case is kickass?
anyway, this case owns any other 80 dollar *retail* case.

right?>.<

oh, and what region of the USA or other country do u live in? how does it do with ur ambient temp?
February 20, 2007 1:07:55 AM

Quote:

I live in Michigan, but it's so cold we have the heat jacked up high, and my room with the computer gets probably close the 75/80F

I would say I wish I was there (the last week the minimum temp has been around 95F where I am), but that would involve going to Michigan :lol: 

Isn't Chicago in Michigan? I saw the weather report on the TV that said it was going to be -18C in Chicago tonight. Brrr!
!