Sign in with
Your question

What Have I Done???

Last response: in Overclocking
February 4, 2007 10:13:05 PM

:cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
You can see for yourself, the case of bad OC and more importantly,cooling. I was doing it when I was kinda having headache (migrain actually...)

Anybody know what's the deal here?Not sure now either my mem or gpu that's causing this, I've reverted to stock setting....

Getting a new card is..sorta out of question, i'm broke right now..

More about : question

February 4, 2007 10:58:56 PM

oh shit, sorry got a little carried away :D 

Could you be more specific, what's your rig, cooling what exactly did you oc?
February 4, 2007 11:36:24 PM

Oh, sorry,no specs....

ATi Radeon 9550 128MB [stock speed]
Stock HSF (GeCube)

Before this disaster, OCed it to almost match Radeon 9600 Pro/XT speed (can't remember). Then, I tried to upped it a bit more, about 10-15 MHz more, seems stable enough, but can't get the temps etc, just reformatted my HDD. I shut down the pc, then change the fan on hsf to one of my old cpu's fan lying around.Turned on the pc, and before i kow it, bam!You can see what i saw :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  I tried to revert to stock speed, uninstall and reinstall ATiTool and ATiTray Tool, reconfigure, but to no avail...Seems my carelesness caused all of this (won't blame my migrain, I shouldn't have done it in the first place)
Related resources
February 5, 2007 2:31:19 AM

Due to overclocking. Sorry for your lose.
February 5, 2007 2:38:11 AM

Yep, very well aware of that :(  So,just wanted to know what actually the 'real' cause, ie gpu or mem faulty? I inspected each chip (with my bare eye only), but couldn't see any burn mark, smell anything whatsoever....
February 5, 2007 6:13:04 PM

Looked like it was time for you to upgrade anyway. Now you don't have a choice! Look at it as a blessing and not a curse.
February 5, 2007 7:20:49 PM

Quote:
Yep, very well aware of that :(  So,just wanted to know what actually the 'real' cause, ie gpu or mem faulty? I inspected each chip (with my bare eye only), but couldn't see any burn mark, smell anything whatsoever....
Sometimes the damage is not witnessed on the outside of chip from looking at it. There is damage to the inside of a chip. If you are on a tight budget there is always a cheap video card out there. Try ebay.
February 6, 2007 6:42:05 AM

There's eBay Malaysia, but from what I've seen the last time I visited, not really worth checking...may be I can try looking for really cheap card before I can build whole new rig.....
February 6, 2007 7:21:48 AM

My screen looks somewhat similar to that when I accidentaly bend a pin. Have you checked the pins and tried a different monitor with a different cord? Probably not the problem but worth a shot.
February 6, 2007 6:01:26 PM

You can try US ebay version i know that a lot of sellers ship worldwide. Good idea.. your best bet would to get a cheap video card and spend your future $ for your next system build.
February 6, 2007 6:50:06 PM

Looks like you killed the GPU memory.
February 8, 2007 8:09:05 AM

Quote:
Looks like you killed the GPU memory.

8O
Can I perform some sort of rituals :?: :wink:

A friend said I broke the pipeline (or sth like that), the other said I fried my gpu, but since I still can have sth to view, fried gpu perhaps won't likely,but about pipeline...well, not very well versed in that area.Not sure wether he's joking/guessing/for real :?
February 8, 2007 12:15:13 PM

Have you tried underclocking the GPU and memory?
February 8, 2007 1:21:43 PM

@ stock speed right now.. :( 
February 8, 2007 7:49:15 PM

Slow the memory speed down & see if this makes any difference.

Also take the card out and check the contacts on the card & mobo AGP slot for any dirt or hair.
Reseat the card in the mobo and try again.
February 8, 2007 11:37:00 PM

I'll try after shuttfing down the pc...in the middle of downloading warez...
February 9, 2007 12:31:36 AM

Quote:

:cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
You can see for yourself, the case of bad OC and more importantly,cooling. I was doing it when I was kinda having headache (migrain actually...)

Anybody know what's the deal here?Not sure now either my mem or gpu that's causing this, I've reverted to stock setting....

Getting a new card is..sorta out of question, i'm broke right now..

Try www.PCPitstop.com

run their full test and under test details, you can see how well your setup runs against other similar setups. I'm sure there will be some glaring deficit that'll lead you to the trouble spot.
February 9, 2007 2:57:31 AM

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1800 5206 6358 45

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1800 5637 6800 41

Video Score
110 (yours) RADEON 9600 SERIES

155 25 RADEON 9600 Series

*A bit confused,my gpu IS 9550,but why it keep saying 9600 series.Running at stock,no bios mod,no oc

As for software, no prob I would say....
where the heck could i get more money?
February 9, 2007 3:50:29 AM

I had that same problem. I thought I was screwed. I was trying to see how hot my GPU could get to and stay stable at PE speeds. Before I flashed it to PE. Anyway It got to 128C+ and shut down when it booted back up the screen kinda looked something like that. I reflashed my vid card bios but to PE hoping maybe it would fix it or something. And it worked! Card has been running flawlessly for over 4 months now.
February 9, 2007 4:21:22 AM

PE as in you x850PE?So,flashing my radeon might work eh?Well,not ready to face the consequences if I totally screwed this time, but i will try it though...So,should i flash it to normal 9550 or 9600 (as WinXP,and even Catalyst sees it as 9600)
February 9, 2007 7:32:45 PM

Ya. I would flash to 9550 just to be safe.
February 16, 2007 10:27:43 PM

Well,sh!t happens,and it did happen to me :(  .No luck...It seems I've permanently damage my Radeon 9550.Currently on FX5200...it sux, i know,please don't laugh :oops:  Saving my money for a completely new build, but i don't know how long it will take.Wish me luck guys... :) 
February 16, 2007 11:02:01 PM

I know how you feel man....I was running a GF4 MX440 until like a year ago.....
February 17, 2007 12:24:55 AM

Maybe you damaged it when you changed the fan. If you were statically charged and touched the memories... Be careful.
March 1, 2007 3:49:22 PM

No, if he fried only some parts of the memory then thats what it could look like.
August 11, 2007 3:25:20 AM

Looks like you ripped of one of the metal things on the bottom that look like small chocolate chips.
August 11, 2007 8:17:14 AM

That's RAM. Definitely.

I once had a GF440MX (from a client) that had - get this - mold growing under two of its four memory chips. It also gave a display similar to the one in the OP.
!