Newbie - how to use key?

I've just started EQ tonight. Am in the tutorial. I graduated and was
given a key. I found myself in a room with some oddball monsters that I
gather I am to release.

My inventory shows me a key that Arabeth (?) gave me. The door says I
need a special key to open it.

OK, how do I use this key? I can't seem to equip it in the inventory
window. Dragging it from the backpack to the door didn't work. I've
clicked and dragged everything I can think of and the door remains
locked.

I am assuming this is not a 'bash' door since I was given a key. What
is the trick to using the key?

--
- Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.

"Burt Johnson" <burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote in message
> I've just started EQ tonight. Am in the tutorial. I graduated and was
> given a key. I found myself in a room with some oddball monsters that I
> gather I am to release.

No, no those monsters you see in the cages aren't the ones Aribeth wants you
to capture. There is no way to open those locks.
They are just there for a show.
The key is to get through another doorway, so you will be able to go after
the Waterdavian Creatures.

Mark Earnest <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote:

> "Burt Johnson" <burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote in message
> > I've just started EQ tonight. Am in the tutorial. I graduated and was
> > given a key. I found myself in a room with some oddball monsters that I
> > gather I am to release.
>
> No, no those monsters you see in the cages aren't the ones Aribeth wants you
> to capture. There is no way to open those locks.
> They are just there for a show.
> The key is to get through another doorway, so you will be able to go after
> the Waterdavian Creatures.

Aha! I'm glad the key didn't work, or I would be here asking why I kept
dying such a horrible death so quickly. :)

Thanks!

--

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 03:15:59 GMT, burt@mindstorm-inc.com (Burt
Johnson) wrote:

>I've just started EQ tonight. Am in the tutorial. I graduated and was
>given a key. I found myself in a room with some oddball monsters that I
>gather I am to release.
>
>My inventory shows me a key that Arabeth (?) gave me. The door says I
>need a special key to open it.
>
>OK, how do I use this key? I can't seem to equip it in the inventory
>window. Dragging it from the backpack to the door didn't work. I've
>clicked and dragged everything I can think of and the door remains
>locked.
>
>I am assuming this is not a 'bash' door since I was given a key. What
>is the trick to using the key?

You never equip keys. If you have the key to a door the door opens
when you try to go through it.

I know of no way to release those monsters. They're hostile and would
kill you easily anyway.

Loren Pechtel wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 03:15:59 GMT, burt@mindstorm-inc.com (Burt
> Johnson) wrote:
>

>>I've just started EQ tonight. Am in the tutorial. I graduated and was
>>given a key. I found myself in a room with some oddball monsters that I
>>gather I am to release.
>>
>>My inventory shows me a key that Arabeth (?) gave me. The door says I
>>need a special key to open it.
>>
>>OK, how do I use this key? I can't seem to equip it in the inventory
>>window. Dragging it from the backpack to the door didn't work. I've
>>clicked and dragged everything I can think of and the door remains
>>locked.
>>
>>I am assuming this is not a 'bash' door since I was given a key. What
>>is the trick to using the key?
>

> You never equip keys. If you have the key to a door the door opens
> when you try to go through it.
>
> I know of no way to release those monsters. They're hostile and would
> kill you easily anyway.

I can't think of what monsters we're talking about here. What room is this?

> >>I've just started EQ tonight.

Heh. I think you mean NwN (Neverwinter Nights)... or OC (Original
Campaign).

EQ (EverQuest) is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. ;)

> > Am in the tutorial. I graduated and was given
> > a key. I found myself in a room with some oddball
> > monsters that I gather I am to release.
>
> I can't think of what monsters we're talking about here.
> What room is this?

In the academy there is a 'zoo' displaying some of the creatures one
will encounter in their future adventures. If you have a bow you can
probably take some pot shots ... but none of these are the Waterdavian
creatures you are seeking on behalf of Lord Nasher and Lady Aribeth.

FWIW.

And have fun!

- Sheldon

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:58:22 -0500, John Salerno
<johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>> I know of no way to release those monsters. They're hostile and would
>> kill you easily anyway.
>
>I can't think of what monsters we're talking about here. What room is this?

I think he's referring to the creatures off from the weapons training
room. The ones that escape in the attack.

"Burt Johnson" <burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote in message
> I've just started EQ tonight. Am in the tutorial. I graduated and was
> given a key. I found myself in a room with some oddball monsters that I
> gather I am to release.
>
> My inventory shows me a key that Arabeth (?) gave me. The door says I
> need a special key to open it.
>
> OK, how do I use this key? I can't seem to equip it in the inventory
> window. Dragging it from the backpack to the door didn't work. I've
> clicked and dragged everything I can think of and the door remains
> locked.
>
> I am assuming this is not a 'bash' door since I was given a key. What
> is the trick to using the key?
>
> --
> - Burt Johnson
> MindStorm, Inc.
> http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html

The key you were given opens the large double door in the corridor, to let
you proceed into the next part of the level.