New computer with XP SP2 compatibility with Word 97?

I want to install Word 97 on my new XP SP2 computer. I'm trying to avoid
trouble in case there are compatibility problems. I've been searching the
net but can see very little mention of Word 97. Guess that's a good sign
but thought I should check with you. Thanks for any reply.
Gayle

Hi Gayle,

Create a Restore Point (in case something goes wrong) and install
Word. Then go to the following link and check for update.

Microsoft Office Downloads Home Page
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/default.aspx

Creating a Restore Point
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsysrst.mspx

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

G Dodd wrote:
> I want to install Word 97 on my new XP SP2 computer. I'm
> trying to avoid trouble in case there are compatibility
> problems. I've been searching the net but can see very
> little mention of Word 97. Guess that's a good sign but
> thought I should check with you. Thanks for any reply. Gayle

Word 97 should be fine on XP SP2.

In news:2H2Td.21806$8B3.5907@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
G Dodd <weedless@gardener.com> typed:

> I want to install Word 97 on my new XP SP2 computer. I'm
> trying to
> avoid trouble in case there are compatibility problems. I've
> been
> searching the net but can see very little mention of Word 97.
> Guess
> that's a good sign but thought I should check with you. Thanks
> for
> any reply.

Word 97 will work fine under Windows XP.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Always Backup your Registry:

I have a new Dell Dimension and I have WinXP SP2, I went to install MS
Office 97 Pro and came up with an error, Windows Could not register at
htmlmarq.ocx

a.. You May Encounter An Error Trying To Install Office 97 On A System
With Windows XP SP/2 Installed.
b..
c.. Install Office 97 On Windows XP w/SP2 The Fix
a.. Open regedit and browse to this key:
b.. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options
c.. You will find the keys... htmlmarq.ocx and htmlmm.ocx.
d.. Rename each key as follows... htmlmarq.tmp and htmlmm.tmp.
e.. Install Office 97, and enjoy!

This Fix is courtesy of Maryville Computers at
http://www.maryvillecomputers.com/tip_links.htm

If you experience the same error I did, here is the fix to resolve it,
I tried it and Wow it works great, so does my MS Office Suite.

Good Luck,
Mickey

Just make sure that you download and install the latest service packs for
Word 97 - this ultimately will be SP 2b. If your Word disk/s are for
pre-version 1 SP you will also need to download that SP also and install
first. Download site for both downloads is:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/CD010226191033.aspx

> In news:2H2Td.21806$8B3.5907@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
> G Dodd <weedless@gardener.com> typed:
>
>> I want to install Word 97 on my new XP SP2 computer. I'm trying to
>> avoid trouble in case there are compatibility problems. I've been
>> searching the net but can see very little mention of Word 97. Guess
>> that's a good sign but thought I should check with you. Thanks for
>> any reply.
>

> Word 97 will work fine under Windows XP.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Thank you, Mickey and Ken. All is well.
Gayle