7800gs vs x1950pro HELP!!!

tauzins

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
hey, i just ordered a 7800gs b/c its on sale at newegg for 160 after mir and then after i order it the x1950pro goes onsale the 256mb ver. for 200 after mir.

Help i dunno if i should return the 7800gs when i get it tommorrow and pay more or just keep the 7800gs for now and keep the 40 for my new comp that ill be building next year.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
The 1950pro def outperforms the 7800gs, but on top of the price diff, you're going to have to figure in shipping as it's unlikely the vendor will cover that. Is it worth it?

tauzins

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
you got a point, i actually thought about it after i posted this, i think that i will just keep the 7800gs and then when newegg doesnt have it anymore ill call them to replace it (tell them its messed up somehow) and then they gotta give me money back if they dont got any

etomasula

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
If you can I would return it. I have a 7800GS at home. Not that it is bad but . . . It suffers from what they call the "cold bug". Apparently this is a problem with some 7 series cards. If the initial boot reads the card temperature as under 40C it will downclock performance (similar to if it were running too hot). I had to turn the fan down to 25% w/ Rivia Tuner to warm it up, and even with overclocking sometimes it still needs a reboot so that ther temperatures are high enough. My room is freezing too so that doesn't help. I thought the tech support guy was BSing me but sure enough he was right. I RMA'ed it thinking it was something with the card, but the new one had the same simtom.

Besides that the x1950Pro Supports both HDR and AA so games will look better. The 7800GS does one or the other not both.

Either one will get the job done, but X1950Pro will do it much better.

etomasula

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
well whats the cold problem, and btw, do u ever happen to get a black screen and freeze up?

Its when the card runs like crap b/c the temps are too cold. The card clocks itself down cause it is too cold. It behaves exactly like if it were too hot. Just google cold bug and you will see what im talking about.

And if you are talking about when you are in games and it blacks out Yes. It blacked out alot when I had it OC'ed too high. Even thought the software utility said it was a stable overclock it had issues during gameplay. Dropped it down a little and all is stable.

TRENDING THREADS