Schwarztod

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I recently upgraded my computer to a Pentium 4 3.0ghz @ 800mhz Northwood processor with Hyper Threading enabled (waiting for the core 2 duos to come down in price a bit). Everything seems to work fine except that my system monitor shows erratic temperatures in the processor zone at times. It generally idles at around 109-111 degrees Fahrenheit, but will jump sharply to 170 in only a matter of seconds & whilst performing the most seemingly-menial tasks such as visiting certain websites, playing video, etc... Then, within a matter of seconds after closing everything, it will sink back down to its idle temperature. This can't be normal, can it?

The only things I changed during installation were the heatsink/fan & the type of thermal compound I normally use. I had been using Arctic Silver 3 but switched to Ceramique after having run out of AS3. The heatsink and fan are stock. I am not attempting to OC nor do I play games much, so the stock heatsink/fan should do the trick. Or am I mistaken? The heatsink fins are cold to the touch during all of that I might mention. If anybody might have an idea to what might be causing these erratic temperatures, I'd appreciate any advice.

endyen

Splendid
Make sure the locking mechanism for the hsf is fully engaged.
When the chip is @ 170f, the fins should be hot to the touch. Either the heat sink is not making good contact with the chip, or the sensor is fubar.