Sign in with
Your question

Bad Luck or my Screwup

Last response: in Overclocking
February 4, 2007 11:50:40 PM

So, I am adjusting some bios settings doing some OCing on my old computer, and after about 4 adjustment and reboots I got this dreaded error message:

C:\windows\system32\config\system
is missing or corrupted

This had never happened to me before in all the previous adjustments with bios. So, I am wondering if it was just bad luck or did I cause the error with my bios adjustments? I am still new at OCing and ignorant of some of the common consequences.

More about : bad luck screwup

February 5, 2007 12:12:53 AM

Quote:
So, I am adjusting some bios settings doing some OCing on my old computer, and after about 4 adjustment and reboots I got this dreaded error message:

This had never happened to me before in all the previous adjustments with bios. So, I am wondering if it was just bad luck or did I cause the error with my bios adjustments? I am still new at OCing and ignorant of some of the common consequences.

You may have OC'ed too high. Go back to stock settings to see if the comp will boot the OS. Then take it up gradually. Where were you at when you had this happen?
February 7, 2007 12:20:25 PM

Like RJ said, this could be caused by OC, if for example you have inadvertently overclocked the HD controller. Certain chipsets will show a PCIe clock in the BIOS that is wrong, so it will say 100, but will be running overclocked. Might do some searches for your MB to see if it has this problem.

I have had this randomly happen to me in the past, no changes whatsoever, turn on computer in the morning, and get this error. It was in the days before XP and I resys'd the drive and it was fine. I don't know troubleshooting steps for XP.

So, if you go back to stock and it is still happening you might have just been unlucky. Check cabling, do some searches for recovering, or format and reinstall.
Related resources
February 7, 2007 7:02:58 PM

Quote:

is missing or corrupted

I see this about 5-10 times a week fixing computers mainly low end HPs. You can either format your HD and reinstall windows or try the windows xp repair function by booting from the xp cd and doing a windows repair. if that doesnt help than format. I am not sure if anything else helps but this works for me all the time.
February 9, 2007 12:40:58 AM

Quote:

is missing or corrupted

Don't give up after just 4 settings in. OCing takes time and patients. Messing something up is the way you learn, and it usually sticks so much better than hearing someone else tell you about it.

Since you are probably raising for FSB, this will also overclock your RAM. If you go too high and the RAM becomes unstable, anything that gets put into it has a chance of being corrupted. Since system files are always used they are the first to get corrupted. Plus you can't boot without them so you will definatley notice when they go. You can to a repair with the windows setup disk, or format.

Don't let this stop you, I don't think you damaged anything except windows, but then again, windows does that on itself eventually. . .
February 10, 2007 2:08:27 AM

Thanks for the help and tips on what I was doing to cause the error. I ended up doing a reinstall of the OS. It was weird, when I was trying to repair the corrupted files, I noticed chunks of the registry files were just GONE!
Anyway, I won't give up. I just need to make sure there is nothing on the OS drive that I can't afford to loose.
February 10, 2007 3:15:16 AM

A good backup is always in order before you OC, whether you're an old hand, or getting a fresh start.

Many times, when I've seen that error come up, it has to do with the PCI bus lock not being enabled. The bus gets too far out of spec, and data corruption occurs. Check to ensure that your PCI bus is locked to 33MHz in the BIOS. If you can't lock this frequency there, then you will be very limited in your overclocking abilities, as you will destabilize both the PCI and AGP buses as you OC.

Good luck.

-J
February 10, 2007 3:31:29 AM

For future reference, go into xp restore and manually do a set point prior to trying OC's. If your OC goes badly wrong you should then be able to do a bios reset, then a xp repair, followed by a rollback to the set point that you manually inserted... A bit time consuming, but should be OK.

If that fails....

You just did the final corrective action.

As has been stated elsewhere, keep backup images safely stored away.
February 13, 2007 2:51:10 PM

Quote:
I see this about 5-10 times a week fixing computers mainly low end HPs. You can either format your HD and reinstall windows or try the windows xp repair function by booting from the xp cd and doing a windows repair. if that doesnt help than format. I am not sure if anything else helps but this works for me all the time.

You've never bothered even trying to run a repair tools CD, like Norton Disk Doctor?
!