What's wrong? EVERTYHING'S WRONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
When I recently built my first computer it was fine. I oc'd it and everything. Now, 3 months later my computer wont boot anything but linux live cd's, won't install windows, or any other operating system, and my bios is slow to boot up. So now I have a $1300 hunk of silicon sitting in my room. Now how I got to such a messed up computer.........
I had managed to have my e6400 overclocked to 3.33 ghz on a gigabyte ds3 for about a month. I tried to overclock it more, adding fans, changing many different voltages and such, normal oc stuff. At 3.33 it could run prime95 for 5+ hours stable. But for some reason my comp would boot to a black screen then I'd have to shut off my comp, turn it back on, and then re-enable overclocking. This is just for background information on what was happening before so this isn't the direct cause of my problem. After getting a possible virus I decided to uninstall then reinstall windows and then install linux. Well I install windows and thats fine. I try and install linux but it doesnt work. Forgot to mention but I am trying to install at this time Fedora 6. This is because there is something wrong with the partition formed. I want to reform the partition so I just decide to use windows to form the partition so I make a new set of partitions and reinstall windows while doing that. Then linux installs but I can't figure out how to boot linux. I try to download some thing (I don't remember the name) that is supposed to help me boot linux. For some reason the mouse isn't recognized so I can't use that program. (I later discovered that at this time I don't even think linux was installed correctly. I would rather have linux than windows so I decided to have fedora clear both partitions and then have just fedora. Fedora will go up to a certain part but then will not boot due to a reason that I can't seem to rectify. This may be because I am not very linux savvy. Then I try to boot slax and knoppix which are both linux live cds and they won't boot until I use an external cd drive to boot them. I don't even remember why I did this but i think I did it to see if they would boot at all. Now I try to install Suse 10 and it won't get very far into the installation unless yet again I use an external dvd drive. Then Suse 10 still won't finish the installation for some unknown reason. My guess is because I am using an external cd drive. I get sick and tired of linux and decide it's not worth it and decide to install good old windows again. Now for some reason the boot hung at the very beginning UNLESS, my internal dvd drive was not attched and my internal hard drive wasn't installed either. But the windows boot did get to after all of the files were loaded or something like that and then I got a blue screen with the standard blue screen text. At some point pretty early in all of this I downclocked my processor to stock. Also right before I tried the last thing I took my comp half apart then put it back together. Now I am guessing that the problem is that I shortcircuited my motherboard or something because I shut off my computer by pressing the power button and not shutting it off normally. I know the problem isn't my hard drive, I doubt my ram or internal dvd drive, and the only problems that I could think caused my comp not to work are my mobo or my cpu. So, my question is, WHAT DO I DO NOW? Will my comp magically start working again or did I destroy some part of my comp? I'd love to hear any suggestions except anything that begins or ends with, "you should never build a computer again." or. "just buy all new parts." Thanks for reading I hope somebody gets a kick out of this.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
jpknifeFULLcolor02.jpg

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Guess it was a little long. Now that I actually see what I wrote I don't even want to read it. Right now for some reason windows stops in the installation at setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration. It has never done that before. It does get much further but I get a blue screen of death when I have the hard drive unplugged from my mobo. I have noticed also that there is some extended lag from when I hear my system beep at boot to when I see the bios screen. So what is wrong? Did I fry my cpu? Did I fry my mobo? Do I just need to update my bios? I have no idea. And this is just a shortened version of my first post.
My specs:
e6400
gigabyte dss3
seagate 7200.10 250 gb
7950 gt

Status
Not open for further replies.