Sign in with
Your question

Looking to overclock my E4300 to 3Ghz and keep its life

Last response: in Overclocking
February 5, 2007 1:38:40 AM

I've heard tons about the E4300's ability to overclock, and I'm looking to overclock it on my soon-to-be system. I don't want to increase the voltage at all, but I'd still like a 3.0Ghz overclock, is it possible with stock cooling?

Here are the planned specs:

-C2D E4300
-OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 667Mhz Gold (2x512)
-Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

I'm on a tight budget right now, so I'll probably stick with stock cooling, but I might upgrade to something better in the future. Anything quite a bit better than stock for a good $30-40 CAD?

And I've been reading a lot about RAM and FSB and how to overclock, but it's really confusing me. 8O Could anyone give me the BIOS settings to get it to 3.0Ghz?

If I do increase voltage, how much life will it take off of it?

That's all, thanks guys. :) 
February 5, 2007 2:24:14 AM

Processors are manufactured with lifetimes ranging to 10 years. Overclocking it to 3 Ghz wouldn't reduce its lifetime very much. I have no idea how much it would shorten it but you can rest assured that it will work for longer than you will need it. Unless you need it for more than 5, 6, 7 years...
February 5, 2007 4:21:18 AM

i'm also interested in the same thing. i've got my build planned out and just waiting for the right prices. i'll probably be using a tuniq to cool it and was wondering what the expected shelf life of a e4300 OC'd to 3ghz would be.

heres my planned build
Related resources
February 5, 2007 4:23:15 AM

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Safe-stable-yea...

If you read what Computronix and I posted you will see I was doing exactly what you want/intend to do. It seemed fine with the stock HSF @ 3.0 ghz and ran perfectly stable but after reading what Computronix wrot and running TAT it was clear to me that the stock HSF was just BARELY enough for 3.0 ghz at full load. (this is also at stock voltage). If the room temp goes up to 78-79F it would have been in the uncomfortable zone for me. This being said buy the $40 insurance policy on a $700 system and get a cooler. Plenty out there to choose from and really work unbelievably well.
February 5, 2007 4:39:39 AM

As for the Bios settings....I have the exact same board. It was very easy. First I just set everything to default as I loaded up windows and got the system happy. Once everything was good....time to overclock.

First from main bios menu select "PC Health Status"
2) Set CPU warning temp. I set it to 60C
3) Set CPU Fan Fail = enable
4) Set System Fan Fail = enable (if you have one)
5) Set Fan Speed control method = Disable (cpu fan runs at 100%)

Esc back to main Bios Menu

6) select MB intelligent tweaker menu
7) CPU clock should already be at 9x
8) Set CPU Host Clock Control = Enable
9) Set CPU Host Freq(mhz) = 333mhz
10) Set System Memory Freq (mhz) = 2.0 (this sets your ram to 667) 2x333=667 get it?
11) Set CPU Voltage Control = Manual
12) Set Normal CPU Vcore = 1.325v (this is stock for e4300)
13) Hit F10 to save then Esc twice to exit and it will reboot.

If 3.0 ghz is all you want....don't sweat the DIMM timings. That is for squeezing out the very last bit of performance you can get. And I can't tell you what it would be cause every DIMM is different.

That's it. That's all you need to do for Gigabyte 965P-s3 Everything else should have/probably set to default happy settings. ie...SATA and your IDE etc etc.

I know you said you wanted to save money by sticking with the stock HSF but you will save yourself a headache and temps getting the aftermarket cooler and putting it on straight away. Especially if it requires a back plate to be put on the back of the Mobo. ie...do it while building it the first time.
February 5, 2007 3:01:00 PM

Wow, thanks guys! :D 

I found a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for a measly $20 CAD! Incredibly priced when compared to the same thing on newegg for $50!

Only question is, will it fit my mobo?
February 5, 2007 3:40:29 PM

Quote:
As for the Bios settings....I have the exact same board. It was very easy. First I just set everything to default as I loaded up windows and got the system happy. Once everything was good....time to overclock.

First from main bios menu select "PC Health Status"
2) Set CPU warning temp. I set it to 60C
3) Set CPU Fan Fail = enable
4) Set System Fan Fail = enable (if you have one)
5) Set Fan Speed control method = Disable (cpu fan runs at 100%)

Esc back to main Bios Menu

6) select MB intelligent tweaker menu
7) CPU clock should already be at 9x
8) Set CPU Host Clock Control = Enable
9) Set CPU Host Freq(mhz) = 333mhz
10) Set System Memory Freq (mhz) = 2.0 (this sets your ram to 667) 2x333=667 get it?
11) Set CPU Voltage Control = Manual
12) Set Normal CPU Vcore = 1.325v (this is stock for e4300)
13) Hit F10 to save then Esc twice to exit and it will reboot.

If 3.0 ghz is all you want....don't sweat the DIMM timings. That is for squeezing out the very last bit of performance you can get. And I can't tell you what it would be cause every DIMM is different.

That's it. That's all you need to do for Gigabyte 965P-s3 Everything else should have/probably set to default happy settings. ie...SATA and your IDE etc etc.

I know you said you wanted to save money by sticking with the stock HSF but you will save yourself a headache and temps getting the aftermarket cooler and putting it on straight away. Especially if it requires a back plate to be put on the back of the Mobo. ie...do it while building it the first time.

thats awesome, thank you for the guide. i bookmarked it for when i get my build up and running. my one question is, what if the ram i get is 800. i know you can get 667 and still be fine, but i've been looking at newegg prices and the 800 is about the same price as the 667. do i still just do what the guide says?
February 13, 2007 7:39:33 PM

I did exactly the steps Roasted_Monk said and went straight to 3Ghz - worked like a charm and system working like a Charm.
PcMark went from 5600 to 7400!

Should I push higher? My specks are in the sig...
try 400 Mhz instead of 333?
Would I have to do anything with Memory settings or Vcores?
I didn't touch any of them except change the FSB from 200 to 333...

Temps went from 32/15C to 33/17C!

Thanks!

Euro
Intel Core2Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz
GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3
CORSAIR XMS2 2x1GB DDR2 800
EVGA GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA
ZALMAN 9700 LED
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5
SAMSUNG 204BW 20" 6ms DVI LCD
February 23, 2007 8:30:50 PM

Hi guys, im planning to buy this same motherboard but with DDR2 533 RAM. im jsut wondering what I would have to do differently to be able to overclock my E4300 to 3.0 GHz.

Thanks,
- Fuge.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2007 12:22:52 AM

Quote:
Temps went from 32/15C to 33/17C!

Your temps are false. Unless you and your computer are in an extremely cold environment, it's not possible to have any temps, especially CPU, below ambient, which is normally ~22c. You obviously have an offset.

For info regarding appropriate temps, please read the following Topic:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps. 8)
!