  • Windows XP
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
January 25, 2005 2:17:24 AM

I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a 20%
XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the Favored
Class. Since I am NOT playing an elf in his favored class:

1.) Am I receiving a 20% XP penalty on a regular basis because I am not
using the Favored Class.

2.) If I multiclass to Ranger/Rogue, will I receive a 20% XP penalty
PERMINANTLY, since I will NEVER be within 1 level of the Favored Class
(since I am not a wizard in the first place.

3.) Will I receive the XP penalty as though my first class--in this case
Ranger--were the favored class. (In other words, a Ranger 4/Rogue 1 would be
penalized until it becomes Ranger 4/Rogue 3.)

Thanks for helping me to sort this out!

Gary

More about : understand favored class

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 2:17:25 AM

Gary Lee wrote:
> I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
> skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a 20%
> XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the Favored
> Class. Since I am NOT playing an elf in his favored class:
>
> 1.) Am I receiving a 20% XP penalty on a regular basis because I am not
> using the Favored Class.

Not if you are just a ranger. But as soon as you take a level of any
other class, aside from wizard, you will receive a 20% penalty until
your classes are back to being one level apart.

> 2.) If I multiclass to Ranger/Rogue, will I receive a 20% XP penalty
> PERMINANTLY, since I will NEVER be within 1 level of the Favored Class
> (since I am not a wizard in the first place.

You will not receive the penalty if you keep your ranger/rogue levels
one apart (such as being a level 5 ranger, level 4 rogue). You don't
receive the penalty just because you aren't using the race's favored
class. The deal with the favored class is that you ignore it when
figuring the penalty. So: A level 5 ranger, level 3 rogue (assuming elf)
would receive the penalty until you bring the rogue up to level 4. A
level 5 wizard, level 3 rogue would *not* receive the penalty because
the wizard is the elf's favored class, so you ignore it for the penalty.

> 3.) Will I receive the XP penalty as though my first class--in this case
> Ranger--were the favored class. (In other words, a Ranger 4/Rogue 1 would be
> penalized until it becomes Ranger 4/Rogue 3.)

The parenthetical statement is true, but you are misusing the term
'favored class.' The XP penalty is ignored with the favored class (which
for an elf is a wizard, and nothing else). Since you are not dealing
with wizard levels at all, forget the term favored class and just know
that if you don't keep your ranger/rogue levels one apart, you'll get
the penalty.

Hope that helps! :)
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 2:50:55 AM

Paul Colquhoun wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:17:24 GMT, Gary Lee <GaryLeeB@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> | I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
> | skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a 20%
> | XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the Favored
> | Class. Since I am NOT playing an elf in his favored class:
> |
> | 1.) Am I receiving a 20% XP penalty on a regular basis because I am not
> | using the Favored Class.
> |
> | 2.) If I multiclass to Ranger/Rogue, will I receive a 20% XP penalty
> | PERMINANTLY, since I will NEVER be within 1 level of the Favored Class
> | (since I am not a wizard in the first place.
> |
> | 3.) Will I receive the XP penalty as though my first class--in this case
> | Ranger--were the favored class. (In other words, a Ranger 4/Rogue 1 would be
> | penalized until it becomes Ranger 4/Rogue 3.)
> |
> | Thanks for helping me to sort this out!
>

> The penalty applies if you have 2 (or more) classes that are more than 1 level
> apart, *EXCEPT* you get to ignore your favoured classes while working this out.
>
> There is never a penalty for a single-class character.

And prestige classes don't count.

> In your case, since neither class is a favoured class, you will get the
> penalty if your levels in both classes are not (almost) the same.

January 25, 2005 2:58:54 AM

Gary Lee wrote:
> I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
> skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a 20%
> XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the Favored
> Class.

Not quite. There is a 20% XP penalty when you have more than one class
and they're more than one level apart, /except/ the favored class
doesn't count. Prestige classes (don't worry about them unless you have
at least one of the expansions) also don't count.

So:

Level 8 Elven Wizard/Level 2 Rogue/Level 1 Ranger: No penalty. Rogue
and ranger, being 2 and 1, are within one level of each other, and
wizard doesn't count.
Level 8 Elven Rogue/Level 4 Ranger/Level 1 Wizard: 20% penalty. Rogue
and ranger are too far apart, but wizard still doesn't count.
Level 8 Elven Rogue/Level 4 Ranger/Level 1 Barbarian: 40% penalty. Each
of your classes is too far apart from the others, and each counts.
Level 9 Elven Rogue/Level 1 Wizard/Level 5 Arcane Archer: No penalty.
Wizard is the favored class and doesn't count, Arcane Archer is a
prestige class and doesn't count, and that leaves nothing for Rogue to
be too far away from.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 5:33:53 AM

Kish covered it pretty well.

I'd just add that the underlying concept seems to be that the skills
associated with a particular class are so common within a given race's
culture, that adventurers of that race are especially likely to take a
few levels in it, regardless of what their main occupation is. So,
arcane magic is so much a part of elven culture that even fighters are
likely to study it a bit, without it distracting from their martial
training.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 4:46:46 AM

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> Gary Lee wrote:
>> I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
>> skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a
>> 20% XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the
>> Favored Class. Since I am NOT playing an elf in his favored class:
>>
>> 1.) Am I receiving a 20% XP penalty on a regular basis because I am
>> not using the Favored Class.
>
> Not if you are just a ranger. But as soon as you take a level of any other
> class, aside from wizard, you will receive a 20% penalty until your
> classes are back to being one level apart.
>
>> 2.) If I multiclass to Ranger/Rogue, will I receive a 20% XP penalty
>> PERMINANTLY, since I will NEVER be within 1 level of the Favored Class
>> (since I am not a wizard in the first place.
>
> You will not receive the penalty if you keep your ranger/rogue levels one
> apart (such as being a level 5 ranger, level 4 rogue). You don't receive
> the penalty just because you aren't using the race's favored class. The
> deal with the favored class is that you ignore it when figuring the
> penalty. So: A level 5 ranger, level 3 rogue (assuming elf) would receive
> the penalty until you bring the rogue up to level 4. A level 5 wizard,
> level 3 rogue would *not* receive the penalty because the wizard is the
> elf's favored class, so you ignore it for the penalty.
>
>> 3.) Will I receive the XP penalty as though my first class--in this
>> case Ranger--were the favored class. (In other words, a Ranger 4/Rogue 1
>> would be penalized until it becomes Ranger 4/Rogue 3.)
>
> The parenthetical statement is true, but you are misusing the term
> 'favored class.' The XP penalty is ignored with the favored class (which
> for an elf is a wizard, and nothing else). Since you are not dealing with
> wizard levels at all, forget the term favored class and just know that if
> you don't keep your ranger/rogue levels one apart, you'll get the penalty.
>
> Hope that helps! :)

I have a question on elves and gnomes wizard is their favored class - can
sorcerer count as wizard class as favored class status? just wondering...
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 4:46:47 AM

Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Gary Lee wrote:
>>
>>>I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
>>>skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a
>>>20% XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the
>>>Favored Class. Since I am NOT playing an elf in his favored class:
>>>
>>>1.) Am I receiving a 20% XP penalty on a regular basis because I am
>>>not using the Favored Class.
>>
>>Not if you are just a ranger. But as soon as you take a level of any other
>>class, aside from wizard, you will receive a 20% penalty until your
>>classes are back to being one level apart.
>>

>>>2.) If I multiclass to Ranger/Rogue, will I receive a 20% XP penalty
>>>PERMINANTLY, since I will NEVER be within 1 level of the Favored Class
>>>(since I am not a wizard in the first place.
>>
>>You will not receive the penalty if you keep your ranger/rogue levels one
>>apart (such as being a level 5 ranger, level 4 rogue). You don't receive
>>the penalty just because you aren't using the race's favored class. The
>>deal with the favored class is that you ignore it when figuring the
>>penalty. So: A level 5 ranger, level 3 rogue (assuming elf) would receive
>>the penalty until you bring the rogue up to level 4. A level 5 wizard,
>>level 3 rogue would *not* receive the penalty because the wizard is the
>>elf's favored class, so you ignore it for the penalty.
>>

>>>3.) Will I receive the XP penalty as though my first class--in this
>>>case Ranger--were the favored class. (In other words, a Ranger 4/Rogue 1
>>>would be penalized until it becomes Ranger 4/Rogue 3.)
>>
>>The parenthetical statement is true, but you are misusing the term
>>'favored class.' The XP penalty is ignored with the favored class (which
>>for an elf is a wizard, and nothing else). Since you are not dealing with
>>wizard levels at all, forget the term favored class and just know that if
>>you don't keep your ranger/rogue levels one apart, you'll get the penalty.
>>
>>Hope that helps! :)
>

> I have a question on elves and gnomes wizard is their favored class - can
> sorcerer count as wizard class as favored class status? just wondering...

No, wizard and sorcerer are two separate classes. Sorcerer isn't any
race's favored class.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:22:05 AM

Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:

> I have a question on elves and gnomes wizard is their favored class - can
> sorcerer count as wizard class as favored class status? just wondering...

No. If it meant sorcerer it would say sorcerer. Similarly, a dwarf's
favored class is only fighter--not ranger, not barbarian, not paladin.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:15:00 PM

> Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
>> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Not if you are just a ranger. But as soon as you take a level of any
>>>other class, aside from wizard, you will receive a 20% penalty until your
>>>classes are back to being one level apart.

>>>You will not receive the penalty if you keep your ranger/rogue levels one
>>>apart (such as being a level 5 ranger, level 4 rogue). You don't receive
>>>the penalty just because you aren't using the race's favored class. The
>>>deal with the favored class is that you ignore it when figuring the
>>>penalty. So: A level 5 ranger, level 3 rogue (assuming elf) would receive
>>>the penalty until you bring the rogue up to level 4. A level 5 wizard,
>>>level 3 rogue would *not* receive the penalty because the wizard is the
>>>elf's favored class, so you ignore it for the penalty.

>>>The parenthetical statement is true, but you are misusing the term
>>>'favored class.' The XP penalty is ignored with the favored class (which
>>>for an elf is a wizard, and nothing else). Since you are not dealing with
>>>wizard levels at all, forget the term favored class and just know that if
>>>you don't keep your ranger/rogue levels one apart, you'll get the
>>>penalty.
>>>
>>>Hope that helps! :)
>>

>> I have a question on elves and gnomes wizard is their favored class - can
>> sorcerer count as wizard class as favored class status? just
>> wondering...
>
> No, wizard and sorcerer are two separate classes. Sorcerer isn't any
> race's favored class.

so if I wanted to multiclass with sorcerer, I'd probably want to be human or
halfelf where highest is automatically favored.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:15:01 PM

Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:

> so if I wanted to multiclass with sorcerer, I'd probably want to be human or
> halfelf where highest is automatically favored.

Either that, or choose your race's favored class (such as being a dwarf
fighter, then taking a few levels in sorcerer later). But it's generally
not considered a good idea to multiclass a wizard or sorcerer anyway,
since with those two you want to have as many levels in it as possible,
for the most powerful spells. (E.g., Magic Missile improves up to level
9, but if you multiclass, it will take you longer to get to your ninth
wizard or sorcerer level.)
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:29:18 AM

> Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
>
>> so if I wanted to multiclass with sorcerer, I'd probably want to be human
>> or halfelf where highest is automatically favored.
>
> Either that, or choose your race's favored class (such as being a dwarf
> fighter, then taking a few levels in sorcerer later). But it's generally
> not considered a good idea to multiclass a wizard or sorcerer anyway,
> since with those two you want to have as many levels in it as possible,
> for the most powerful spells. (E.g., Magic Missile improves up to level 9,
> but if you multiclass, it will take you longer to get to your ninth wizard
> or sorcerer level.)

so to use a halfelf to get arcane archer, only bard/rogue is the best
route... sorcerer is okay... I personally don't like wizard and prefer the
sorcerer... in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from
scrolls but I don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:29:19 AM

Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
> in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from
> scrolls but I don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...

Wizards can add spells from scrolls to their spellbook. Just right-click
the scroll and choose Scribe Scroll from the radial menu. You can only
scribe a scroll if you can cast that level of spell and you do not
already have it in your spellbook.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:

> so to use a halfelf to get arcane archer, only bard/rogue is the best
> route... sorcerer is okay... I personally don't like wizard and prefer the
> sorcerer... in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from
> scrolls but I don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...

Like Barry says, just right-click the scroll and choose the option to
add the spell to your spellbook. Also like he says, you can only add it
if you can cast that level of spells, and if it's not already there,
naturally.

As far as your Arcane Archer goes, I would recommend doing
Ranger/Wizard/Arcane Archer, because that will get you to the AA
quicker. One requirement for the AA is a Base Attack Bonus (BAB) of +6.
A ranger gets +6 at level 6, then you take a level of wizard (or
sorcerer, doesn't really matter if you're a half-elf), then continue
from there on with AA. If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't
get a +6 BAB until level 8, and with a rogue you'd still need a level of
wizard/sorcerer in order to cast arcane spells (another requirement for
AA). So with a bard the earliest level of AA would be 9, and with a
rogue it would be 10. (But of course, with a rogue you could stop at
level 7 (BAB +5), then take two levels of wizard/sorcerer and your BAB
would then be +6 at character level 9, like the bard. But either way,
you'd be delaying when you can start your AA levels.

Of course, this is all assuming that you want to be strictly an AA. It
sounds like you are interested in taking multiple levels of sorcerer, so
your character would be more of a multiclasser than simply trying to get
to AA and stick with it. You have to be careful of that, because with a
wizard/sorcerer, you want high levels to make your spells as effective
as possible. But it all depends on what you want from your character, as
well as role-playing reasons. If you are more interested in a bard or
rogue than a ranger, then follow that path.

Wait, I just realized something. When you say, "so to use a halfelf to
get arcane archer, only bard/rogue is the best route... sorcerer is
okay... I personally don't like wizard," are you thinking that you only
need to be one of these classes to become an AA? In the case of a bard,
that's true, because they can cast arcane spells. It's also true for a
wizard/sorcerer, it would just take a really long time since they have
low attack bonuses. A rogue can't cast arcane spells, so to turn one
into an AA, you'd have to multiclass with a wizard/sorcerer/bard.

I hope that isn't too confusing. Feel free to keep asking, or email me
personally. I just took an AA through Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes
of the Underdark, so I can talk about them a little. :)
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:29:20 AM

John Salerno wrote:

> If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't
> get a +6 BAB until level 8, and with a rogue you'd still need a level of
> wizard/sorcerer in order to cast arcane spells (another requirement for
> AA). So with a bard the earliest level of AA would be 9, and with a
> rogue it would be 10. (But of course, with a rogue you could stop at
> level 7 (BAB +5), then take two levels of wizard/sorcerer and your BAB
> would then be +6 at character level 9, like the bard. But either way,
> you'd be delaying when you can start your AA levels.

Let me clarify that: The earliest level a bard would meet the
requirements for an AA is level 8. So level 9 could start the AA.

The earliest level a rogue would meet the prereqs would be level 9, and
the AA wouldn't start until level 10.

Rogues can use magic items, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't give them
the ability to cast arcane spells, correct?
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:40:03 AM

John Salerno wrote:
> Rogues can use magic items, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't give them
> the ability to cast arcane spells, correct?

Correct.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

John Salerno wrote:
> If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't get a +6 BAB until
level 8

I don't have NWN in front of me (they frown on that at work) but in PnP
3.0/3.5 DnD rules, rogue/bard progresseion is +1/BAB every two levels.

So a rogue or bard wouldn't get to +6 BAB until level 12 (their BAB
starts at 0 for first level, then goes up by one every two levels of
rogue or bard).
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:49:33 PM

alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't get a +6 BAB until
>
> level 8
>
> I don't have NWN in front of me (they frown on that at work) but in PnP
> 3.0/3.5 DnD rules, rogue/bard progresseion is +1/BAB every two levels.

Err...no. Of the 11 base classes, only wizards and sorcerers have the +1
per 2 levels BAB advancement. Bards, clerics, druids, monks and rogues
all get +3 per 4 levels BAB tables. (The way it works is they get +0 BAB
at first level and each 4th level thereafter--5, 9, 13 and 17--and +1
BAB all other levels.) Barbarians, fighters, paladins and rangers have
+1 per level BAB.

That's straight out of the 3.5 d20 source docs. I don't think it is any
different than version 3.0.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

"Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
> Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
>> in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from scrolls but I
>> don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...
>

> Wizards can add spells from scrolls to their spellbook. Just right-click
> the scroll and choose Scribe Scroll from the radial menu. You can only
> scribe a scroll if you can cast that level of spell and you do not already
> have it in your spellbook.
> --
> Barry Scott Will
> Pyric RPG Publications
> http://www.pyric.com/

you can? it's not in my platinum rule book but the bit about only one
henchman in official campaign isn't clear either [found out only in
expansions is it 2]... I didn't know wizards could learn from scrolls in
nwn... cool may try them again..
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:03:01 PM

> Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
>
>> so to use a halfelf to get arcane archer, only bard/rogue is the best
>> route... sorcerer is okay... I personally don't like wizard and prefer
>> the sorcerer... in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from
>> scrolls but I don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...
>
> Like Barry says, just right-click the scroll and choose the option to add
> the spell to your spellbook. Also like he says, you can only add it if you
> can cast that level of spells, and if it's not already there, naturally.
>
> As far as your Arcane Archer goes, I would recommend doing
> Ranger/Wizard/Arcane Archer, because that will get you to the AA quicker.
> One requirement for the AA is a Base Attack Bonus (BAB) of +6. A ranger
> gets +6 at level 6, then you take a level of wizard (or sorcerer, doesn't
> really matter if you're a half-elf), then continue from there on with AA.
> If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't get a +6 BAB until level
> 8, and with a rogue you'd still need a level of wizard/sorcerer in order
> to cast arcane spells (another requirement for AA). So with a bard the
> earliest level of AA would be 9, and with a rogue it would be 10. (But of
> course, with a rogue you could stop at level 7 (BAB +5), then take two
> levels of wizard/sorcerer and your BAB would then be +6 at character level
> 9, like the bard. But either way, you'd be delaying when you can start
> your AA levels.
>
> Of course, this is all assuming that you want to be strictly an AA. It
> sounds like you are interested in taking multiple levels of sorcerer, so
> your character would be more of a multiclasser than simply trying to get
> to AA and stick with it. You have to be careful of that, because with a
> wizard/sorcerer, you want high levels to make your spells as effective as
> possible. But it all depends on what you want from your character, as well
> as role-playing reasons. If you are more interested in a bard or rogue
> than a ranger, then follow that path.
>
> Wait, I just realized something. When you say, "so to use a halfelf to get
> arcane archer, only bard/rogue is the best route... sorcerer is okay... I
> personally don't like wizard," are you thinking that you only need to be
> one of these classes to become an AA? In the case of a bard, that's true,
> because they can cast arcane spells. It's also true for a wizard/sorcerer,
> it would just take a really long time since they have low attack bonuses.
> A rogue can't cast arcane spells, so to turn one into an AA, you'd have to
> multiclass with a wizard/sorcerer/bard.
>
> I hope that isn't too confusing. Feel free to keep asking, or email me
> personally. I just took an AA through Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of
> the Underdark, so I can talk about them a little. :)

well with half elf the options are open.. I also didn't know the wizard
could learn from scrolls. the thing about ranger and bard/sorcerer is the
ranger is supposed to be higher wisdom and with rogue the the wisdom isn't
that vital.. I could be wrong. I just tried various multi classes that were
never available in earlier games... druid/bard... hey, I went crazy trying
the combinations out but found it easier when they had some similar
demands... bard/rogue/arcane archer was okay. bard or sorcerer could get me
the arcane spell casting. the rogue just got me the bow use.. I could have
used plain fighter with an arcane spell caster. I may try the fighter/wizard
to get it or ranger again... but is wisdom that important to the ranger? if
you just want it for the bow and +6 otherwise not important, I suppose..
thanks for info... wow got some playing around to do...
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:03:02 PM

Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:

> to get it or ranger again... but is wisdom that important to the ranger? if
> you just want it for the bow and +6 otherwise not important, I suppose..
> thanks for info... wow got some playing around to do...

Don't forget, if you choose elf as your race, you get proficiency with
bows no matter which classes you choose.

Now, as far as a ranger goes, wisdom is only important if you plan to be
a spell caster. The ranger casts divine spells that rely on his wisdom
score, but if you are only choosing ranger in order to get to (and stay
with) the arcane archer, then wisdom isn't important at all. I created a
ranger/wizard/AA and I never use spells, because the whole purpose of
the build was so I could make a great archer. Once you stop advancing in
ranger levels, you stop gaining ranger spells, so a high wisdom won't do
you any good anyway.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:08:54 PM

> John Salerno wrote:
>
>> If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't get a +6 BAB until level
>> 8, and with a rogue you'd still need a level of wizard/sorcerer in order
>> to cast arcane spells (another requirement for AA). So with a bard the
>> earliest level of AA would be 9, and with a rogue it would be 10. (But of
>> course, with a rogue you could stop at level 7 (BAB +5), then take two
>> levels of wizard/sorcerer and your BAB would then be +6 at character
>> level 9, like the bard. But either way, you'd be delaying when you can
>> start your AA levels.
>
> Let me clarify that: The earliest level a bard would meet the requirements
> for an AA is level 8. So level 9 could start the AA.
>
> The earliest level a rogue would meet the prereqs would be level 9, and
> the AA wouldn't start until level 10.
>
> Rogues can use magic items, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't give them the
> ability to cast arcane spells, correct?

I mainly added rogue because it a) had a bow use and b)was similar in stats
needed to the bard that could cast arcane spells. it just seemed that a bard
could easily also be a full thief as well then use that combonation and the
fact that it was at least part elf to be an arcane archer... [roleplaying
rationale]

I do like the fact that you could prepare stats for very different paths
like druid/sorcerer/rogue if you want. this wasnt possible in earlier dnd
pc games...
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:44:35 PM

alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:

> I don't have NWN in front of me (they frown on that at work) but in PnP
> 3.0/3.5 DnD rules, rogue/bard progresseion is +1/BAB every two levels.

No. Fighters, rangers, paladins, and barbarians get +1 every level.
Clerics, druids, rogues, bards, and monks get +2 every three levels.
Wizards and sorcerers get +1 every other level.
February 5, 2005 6:18:32 PM

"Stanley Rexwinkle" <hahntsak@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
>> Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
>>> in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from scrolls but I
>>> don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...
>>

>> Wizards can add spells from scrolls to their spellbook. Just right-click
>> the scroll and choose Scribe Scroll from the radial menu. You can only
>> scribe a scroll if you can cast that level of spell and you do not
>> already have it in your spellbook.
>> --
>> Barry Scott Will
>> Pyric RPG Publications
>> http://www.pyric.com/
>>

> you can? it's not in my platinum rule book but the bit about only one
> henchman in official campaign isn't clear either [found out only in
> expansions is it 2]... I didn't know wizards could learn from scrolls in
> nwn... cool may try them again..

Er, um, if you played the OC from the very beginning through the "Prelude"
and checked all the halls after that idiot in the warrior hall who wanted
"Sir, Yes, Sir!" - Pleban, or whatever - you would have found a little
tutorial about that if you went through it. Can't miss it, its the first
one after the warrior hall and in the back of the little hall there are 2
people blasting a manikin with various spells. If you were a
wizard/sorcerer user you would have had to speak to him to pass your test
(not sure about bards) after blasting a statue with your own magic skills or
with some scrolls found nearby in a chest - burning hands and magic missile
(in my version).

Besides, completing the "Prelude" you get a few levels before the game
proper starts and this helps a lot in the early part of the game.

Check it out next time.

Dave
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 6:14:41 PM

"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Stanley Rexwinkle" <hahntsak@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
>>>

>>> Wizards can add spells from scrolls to their spellbook. Just right-click
>>> the scroll and choose Scribe Scroll from the radial menu. You can only
>>> scribe a scroll if you can cast that level of spell and you do not
>>> already have it in your spellbook.
>>> --
>>> Barry Scott Will
>>> Pyric RPG Publications
>>> http://www.pyric.com/
>>>

>> you can? it's not in my platinum rule book but the bit about only one
>> henchman in official campaign isn't clear either [found out only in
>> expansions is it 2]... I didn't know wizards could learn from scrolls in
>> nwn... cool may try them again..
>
> Er, um, if you played the OC from the very beginning through the "Prelude"
> and checked all the halls after that idiot in the warrior hall who wanted
> "Sir, Yes, Sir!" - Pleban, or whatever - you would have found a little
> tutorial about that if you went through it. Can't miss it, its the first
> one after the warrior hall and in the back of the little hall there are 2
> people blasting a manikin with various spells. If you were a
> wizard/sorcerer user you would have had to speak to him to pass your test
> (not sure about bards) after blasting a statue with your own magic skills
> or with some scrolls found nearby in a chest - burning hands and magic
> missile (in my version).
>
> Besides, completing the "Prelude" you get a few levels before the game
> proper starts and this helps a lot in the early part of the game.
>
> Check it out next time.
>
> Dave

I played with sorcerer originally I didn't notice that. bard and didn't
notice it either. wizard didn't go that far and gave up on it, but have
recently tried wizard again [now that I know that he can learn from
scrolls]. the wizard is okay. I still like sorcerer better than wizard. I
have since bg2. but I will try a game with elf as wizard/fighter/ arcane
archer. I do like the flexibility of nwn in my first character was like
bard/sorcerer/druid really weak, but it was fun to play at times.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 6:22:17 PM

> Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
>
>> to get it or ranger again... but is wisdom that important to the ranger?
>> if you just want it for the bow and +6 otherwise not important, I
>> suppose.. thanks for info... wow got some playing around to do...
>
> Don't forget, if you choose elf as your race, you get proficiency with
> bows no matter which classes you choose.
>
> Now, as far as a ranger goes, wisdom is only important if you plan to be a
> spell caster. The ranger casts divine spells that rely on his wisdom
> score, but if you are only choosing ranger in order to get to (and stay
> with) the arcane archer, then wisdom isn't important at all. I created a
> ranger/wizard/AA and I never use spells, because the whole purpose of the
> build was so I could make a great archer. Once you stop advancing in
> ranger levels, you stop gaining ranger spells, so a high wisdom won't do
> you any good anyway.

wouldn't fighter be better than ranger for the bow aspect? if I'm just
getting them for the bow.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 6:22:18 PM

Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:

> wouldn't fighter be better than ranger for the bow aspect?

In terms of bow use, I don't see how either class is better. Both start
with martial weapon proficiency, so it's not like a fighter can use a
bow better than a ranger. If you're a fighter until you become an AA,
you get the bonus feats, which is great, but a ranger gets more skill
points per level. I guess it just depends on which class you want to
play, and what your plans are for the character. If you are working
toward a pure AA build, then it doesn't matter too much. If you are
trying to balance AA with the basic class, then you'll have to decide
how you want to play your character.

> if I'm just
> getting them for the bow.

I didn't suggest to pick a ranger just for the bow use. I said if you
chose elf as your race, then your class didn't matter because elves have
proficiency with bows.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:06:15 PM

D'Oh! I _knew_ that... must have been some _really_ bad drugs :-)

Heh, I'm doing yet another 3.5 character sheet in Excel (because the
various free ones I've found in casual browsing don't suit me*) -
here's my formula for determining BAB for bards, rogues, monks,
clerics, and druids (where B4 is the level):

=IF(B4>0,ROUNDUP((B4-1)*0.75,0),"0")

I may have been suffering from anal-cranial inversion last Friday, but
I got it right a few months ago when I started the spreadsheet!

*Because I want it to support multiple classes but still print mostly
on one sheet of paper - and do it without macros/VB
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:06:16 PM

D'Oh! I _knew_ that... must have been some _really_ bad drugs :-)

Heh, I'm doing yet another 3.5 character sheet in Excel (because the
various free ones I've found in casual browsing don't suit me*) -
here's my formula for determining BAB for bards, rogues, monks,
clerics, and druids (where B4 is the level):

=IF(B4>0,ROUNDUP((B4-1)*0.75,0),"0")

I may have been suffering from anal-cranial inversion last Friday, but
I got it right a few months ago when I started the spreadsheet!

*Because I want it to support multiple classes but still print mostly
on one sheet of paper - and do it without macros/VB
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:06:22 PM

D'Oh! I _knew_ that... must have been some _really_ bad drugs :-)

Heh, I'm doing yet another 3.5 character sheet in Excel (because the
various free ones I've found in casual browsing don't suit me*) -
here's my formula for determining BAB for bards, rogues, monks,
clerics, and druids (where B4 is the level):

=IF(B4>0,ROUNDUP((B4-1)*0.75,0),"0")

I may have been suffering from anal-cranial inversion last Friday, but
I got it right a few months ago when I started the spreadsheet!

*Because I want it to support multiple classes but still print mostly
on one sheet of paper - and do it without macros/VB
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:50:31 PM

Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> writes:

> alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I don't have NWN in front of me (they frown on that at work) but in PnP
> > 3.0/3.5 DnD rules, rogue/bard progresseion is +1/BAB every two levels.
>
> No. Fighters, rangers, paladins, and barbarians get +1 every
> level. Clerics, druids, rogues, bards, and monks get +2 every three
> levels. Wizards and sorcerers get +1 every other level.

Clerics, druids, rogues, bards and monks get +3 every four levels.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:31:27 PM

alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:
> D'Oh! I _knew_ that... must have been some _really_ bad drugs :-)
>
> Heh, I'm doing yet another 3.5 character sheet in Excel (because the
> various free ones I've found in casual browsing don't suit me*) -
> here's my formula for determining BAB for bards, rogues, monks,
> clerics, and druids (where B4 is the level):
>
> =IF(B4>0,ROUNDUP((B4-1)*0.75,0),"0")
>
> I may have been suffering from anal-cranial inversion last Friday, but
> I got it right a few months ago when I started the spreadsheet!
>
> *Because I want it to support multiple classes but still print mostly
> on one sheet of paper - and do it without macros/VB

I did a similar exercise for 3.0 but used lookup tables and typed in the
actual tables. Handled multiclass perfectly - never got around to
prestige classes as my party never had any :-)

Kharsis
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 11:19:33 AM

John Salerno wrote:
> Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
>
>> wouldn't fighter be better than ranger for the bow aspect?
>

> In terms of bow use, I don't see how either class is better. Both start
> with martial weapon proficiency, so it's not like a fighter can use a
> bow better than a ranger. If you're a fighter until you become an AA,
> you get the bonus feats, which is great, but a ranger gets more skill
> points per level. I guess it just depends on which class you want to
> play, and what your plans are for the character. If you are working
> toward a pure AA build, then it doesn't matter too much. If you are
> trying to balance AA with the basic class, then you'll have to decide
> how you want to play your character.
>
> > if I'm just
> > getting them for the bow.
>
> I didn't suggest to pick a ranger just for the bow use. I said if you
> chose elf as your race, then your class didn't matter because elves have
> proficiency with bows.

One advantage to choosing a ranger is that the class skills line up
better with the class skills for an arcane archer.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 7:56:19 PM

Brian G. Vaughan wrote:

> One advantage to choosing a ranger is that the class skills line up
> better with the class skills for an arcane archer.

Plus you just get a wider selection of skills with a ranger anyway, so
you have more options.
February 13, 2005 11:34:32 AM

">>> wouldn't fighter be better than ranger for the bow aspect?

>> In terms of bow use, I don't see how either class is better. Both start
>> with martial weapon proficiency, so it's not like a fighter can use a bow
>> better than a ranger. If you're a fighter until you become an AA, you get
>> the bonus feats, which is great, but a ranger gets more skill points per
>> level. I guess it just depends on which class you want to play, and what
>> your plans are for the character. If you are working toward a pure AA
>> build, then it doesn't matter too much. If you are trying to balance AA
>> with the basic class, then you'll have to decide how you want to play
>> your character.
>>
>> > if I'm just
>> > getting them for the bow.
>>
>> I didn't suggest to pick a ranger just for the bow use. I said if you
>> chose elf as your race, then your class didn't matter because elves have
>> proficiency with bows.
>
> One advantage to choosing a ranger is that the class skills line up better
> with the class skills for an arcane archer.

Some other extras are:-

A ranger has an animal companion.

A ranger has some magic skills.

A ranger is a little bit better with a bow than a fighter with the same
stats.

A ranger has two weapon, ambidex, two hand weapons for free, depending on
level.

A ranger has favoured enemy bonuses that stack when fighting those enemies.

Equipped with speed boots, a good bow and magic arrows, a ranger is
absolutely devastating at long range and with his dual/ambidex skills using,
say, a magic halberd, he can hack and slash his way through a crowd of
enemies like a hot knife through butter.

A ranger does not have heavy armor feat at the start as does the fighter but
the ranger does not really require that.

Keep DEX at about the same level as STR and using some points for WIS, you
can get away with less CON points, compared to a fighter.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 1:58:44 PM

Dave wrote:

> A ranger is a little bit better with a bow than a fighter with the same
> stats.

What? No.

> A ranger has two weapon, ambidex, two hand weapons for free, depending on
> level.

....which a bow-wielder isn't going to be using--and a fighter gets many
more feats than a ranger, and can actually choose feats that matter to a
bow-wielder.

You also left out "a fighter can take Weapon Specialization with a bow,
and a ranger can't."

> A ranger has favoured enemy bonuses that stack when fighting those enemies.
>
> Equipped with speed boots, a good bow and magic arrows, a ranger is
> absolutely devastating at long range and with his dual/ambidex skills using,
> say, a magic halberd,

Since when can a NWN PC race dual-wield a halberd?
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 3:59:09 PM

Kish wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>

>>A ranger is a little bit better with a bow than a fighter with the same
>>stats.
>

> What? No.

Yeah, I don't understand this idea of one class being 'better' with a
weapon than another class. RPing-wise, sure; but that's not what we're
talking about here.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:44:39 PM

"Brian G. Vaughan" <foolishowl_hates_spam@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
news:p UZOd.8894$oO.4274@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> John Salerno wrote:
>> Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
>>
>>> wouldn't fighter be better than ranger for the bow aspect?
>>

>> In terms of bow use, I don't see how either class is better. Both start
>> with martial weapon proficiency, so it's not like a fighter can use a bow
>> better than a ranger. If you're a fighter until you become an AA, you get
>> the bonus feats, which is great, but a ranger gets more skill points per
>> level. I guess it just depends on which class you want to play, and what
>> your plans are for the character. If you are working toward a pure AA
>> build, then it doesn't matter too much. If you are trying to balance AA
>> with the basic class, then you'll have to decide how you want to play
>> your character.
>>
>> > if I'm just
>> > getting them for the bow.
>>
>> I didn't suggest to pick a ranger just for the bow use. I said if you
>> chose elf as your race, then your class didn't matter because elves have
>> proficiency with bows.
>
> One advantage to choosing a ranger is that the class skills line up better
> with the class skills for an arcane archer.

they do? cool, I'll try the ranger [spells negligible] with the arcane
caster
February 16, 2005 1:21:38 PM

"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Dave wrote:
>
>> A ranger is a little bit better with a bow than a fighter with the same
>> stats.
>
> What? No.
>

>> A ranger has two weapon, ambidex, two hand weapons for free, depending on
>> level.
>
> ...which a bow-wielder isn't going to be using--and a fighter gets many
> more feats than a ranger, and can actually choose feats that matter to a
> bow-wielder.
>
> You also left out "a fighter can take Weapon Specialization with a bow,
> and a ranger can't."
>

>> A ranger has favoured enemy bonuses that stack when fighting those
>> enemies.
>>
>> Equipped with speed boots, a good bow and magic arrows, a ranger is
>> absolutely devastating at long range and with his dual/ambidex skills
>> using, say, a magic halberd,
>
> Since when can a NWN PC race dual-wield a halberd?

I was actually thinking of a two bladed sword. Dunno why I said halberd. I
read somewhere that some large weapons become two-handed for some races and
have penalties unless the character has ambidex, dual wield, etc. Not 100%
sure if this applies to NWN or some other game.

It really depends on your style of play. I'd rather use a ranger with
animal companion as tank/fodder and stand back and blast away with a bow and
magical arrows until the companion is gone then wade in with a good hand
weapon. I like to use light armour as you loose less dex bonuses and the
high dex makes the ranged weapons shots more accurate. I also like a bit of
a challenge and a high STR, high CON fighter with heavy magic armour didn't
provide me with that.

I am currently playing an elf druid as the elf can use swords and bows and
there are plenty of swords through the OC and expansions but few scimitars.
Since the druid has magic ability, I have been using that instead of
building up weapons skills. It has been interesting so far.

Next I think I will try something a bit more challenging, such as a gnome
barbarian or even a gnome ranger. Should be interesting.

Dave
February 16, 2005 3:41:25 PM

> Kish wrote:
>> Dave wrote:
>>

>>>A ranger is a little bit better with a bow than a fighter with the same
>>>stats.
>>

>> What? No.
>
> Yeah, I don't understand this idea of one class being 'better' with a
> weapon than another class. RPing-wise, sure; but that's not what we're
> talking about here.

It all depends on your character's set-up.

For a fighter you would have high CON and STR and not worry about the other
stats much if you're going to continue through as a fighter.

A ranger has some magic abilities and to be able to use that has to put some
points towards WIS. If you don't get the heavy armour feat then you should
put some points to DEX as well as this helps the dodge and tumble skills.
High DEX also makes shots with ranged weapons more accurate.

The time I made a fighter, I concentrated on the STR and CON stats and did
not worry much about the others and let magical items boost them. At the
time, people said this was the best way to set-up a fighter. With henchman
Linu set to use ranged weapons and add boosts and heal spells the game was
too easy and the fighter just tanked his way through so it was not much of a
challenge. By the time I finished chapter 2 of the OC I was totally bored
with the fighter and restarted the game with a different character. The
fighter was my second time (partially)through the game, i.e. my second
character. Towards the end of chapter 1 I noticed my fighter was a bad shot
with ranged weapons and when my fighter got enough experience I would save
the game, start the level-up procedure and cancel at the end, exit the game
so I could read the PDF manual and see what feats were available and what
the requirements were. I started to notice that I could not get some feats
because my fighter's DEX was too low. My character's DEX score was low to
start with and you only get to boost an ability every 4 or 5 levels so by
the end of chapter 2 I decided to dump the fighter and restart with another,
despite the fighter doing so well.

The first time through was with a high CHA half-elf sorcerer and while he
started off weak and died a lot (and I was learning the game) he ended well.
I kept boosting CHA to get lots of spells and left INT at +2 to get a few
skill points on level-up. The final confrontation was too easy as my
sorcerer was at level 20 in the early part of chapter 4 as I would play part
way through a chapter, save the character and restart the chapter with the
saved character. When I played the fighter I did not even have to do that.

I like the ability to use magic in any class I pick so, for me, the ranger
was a better option than the fighter. It was years ago when I first got the
game and in that version the odds were stacked in favour of the fighter over
the other characters classes.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:41:26 PM

Dave wrote:

>>Yeah, I don't understand this idea of one class being 'better' with a
>>weapon than another class. RPing-wise, sure; but that's not what we're
>>talking about here.
>

> It all depends on your character's set-up.
>
> For a fighter you would have high CON and STR and not worry about the other
> stats much if you're going to continue through as a fighter.

Obviously it all depends on DEX. What I'm saying is, if you choose a
fighter and plan to make him a ranged weapon user, then you will put
more points in DEX and neglect STR a little more than normal. But a
fighter and a ranger, both with a DEX of 18, are exactly the same in
terms of bow use.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:29:51 PM

John Salerno wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, I don't understand this idea of one class being 'better' with a
>>> weapon than another class. RPing-wise, sure; but that's not what
>>> we're talking about here.
>>

>> It all depends on your character's set-up.
>>
>> For a fighter you would have high CON and STR and not worry about the
>> other stats much if you're going to continue through as a fighter.
>

> Obviously it all depends on DEX. What I'm saying is, if you choose a
> fighter and plan to make him a ranged weapon user, then you will put
> more points in DEX and neglect STR a little more than normal. But a
> fighter and a ranger, both with a DEX of 18, are exactly the same in
> terms of bow use.

Unless the fighter has Feats directed toward bow use that the ranger
doesn't have.

You don't /have/ to focus on Strength and Constitution with a fighter.
Fighters can have as much variety as most classes.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:29:52 PM

Kish wrote:

> Unless the fighter has Feats directed toward bow use that the ranger
> doesn't have.
>
> You don't /have/ to focus on Strength and Constitution with a fighter.
> Fighters can have as much variety as most classes.

True. Basically I was just making the point that any particular class
isn't better or worse with a weapon than any other, because they all
have the feats available to take, except of course a fighter gets a lot
more, and he also has weapon specialization.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 11:30:38 PM

Dave wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Kish wrote:
>>
>>>Dave wrote:

SNIP

> The first time through was with a high CHA half-elf sorcerer and while he
> started off weak and died a lot (and I was learning the game) he ended well.
> I kept boosting CHA to get lots of spells and left INT at +2 to get a few
> skill points on level-up. The final confrontation was too easy as my
> sorcerer was at level 20 in the early part of chapter 4 as I would play part
> way through a chapter, save the character and restart the chapter with the
> saved character. When I played the fighter I did not even have to do that.

Its no wonder you found the game easy using that method as you would
receive approx 1.5 times the XP than you would normally.

Kharsis
!