Help me understand "Favored Class"

I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a 20%
XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the Favored
Class. Since I am NOT playing an elf in his favored class:

1.) Am I receiving a 20% XP penalty on a regular basis because I am not
using the Favored Class.

2.) If I multiclass to Ranger/Rogue, will I receive a 20% XP penalty
PERMINANTLY, since I will NEVER be within 1 level of the Favored Class
(since I am not a wizard in the first place.

3.) Will I receive the XP penalty as though my first class--in this case
Ranger--were the favored class. (In other words, a Ranger 4/Rogue 1 would be
penalized until it becomes Ranger 4/Rogue 3.)

Thanks for helping me to sort this out!

Gary
42 answers Last reply
More about help understand favored class

    Gary Lee wrote:
    > I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
    > skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a 20%
    > XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the Favored
    > Class. Since I am NOT playing an elf in his favored class:
    >
    > 1.) Am I receiving a 20% XP penalty on a regular basis because I am not
    > using the Favored Class.

    Not if you are just a ranger. But as soon as you take a level of any
    other class, aside from wizard, you will receive a 20% penalty until
    your classes are back to being one level apart.

    > 2.) If I multiclass to Ranger/Rogue, will I receive a 20% XP penalty
    > PERMINANTLY, since I will NEVER be within 1 level of the Favored Class
    > (since I am not a wizard in the first place.

    You will not receive the penalty if you keep your ranger/rogue levels
    one apart (such as being a level 5 ranger, level 4 rogue). You don't
    receive the penalty just because you aren't using the race's favored
    class. The deal with the favored class is that you ignore it when
    figuring the penalty. So: A level 5 ranger, level 3 rogue (assuming elf)
    would receive the penalty until you bring the rogue up to level 4. A
    level 5 wizard, level 3 rogue would *not* receive the penalty because
    the wizard is the elf's favored class, so you ignore it for the penalty.

    > 3.) Will I receive the XP penalty as though my first class--in this case
    > Ranger--were the favored class. (In other words, a Ranger 4/Rogue 1 would be
    > penalized until it becomes Ranger 4/Rogue 3.)

    The parenthetical statement is true, but you are misusing the term
    'favored class.' The XP penalty is ignored with the favored class (which
    for an elf is a wizard, and nothing else). Since you are not dealing
    with wizard levels at all, forget the term favored class and just know
    that if you don't keep your ranger/rogue levels one apart, you'll get
    the penalty.

    Hope that helps! :)

    Paul Colquhoun wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:17:24 GMT, Gary Lee <GaryLeeB@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    > | I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
    > | skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a 20%
    > | XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the Favored
    > | Class. Since I am NOT playing an elf in his favored class:
    > |
    > | 1.) Am I receiving a 20% XP penalty on a regular basis because I am not
    > | using the Favored Class.
    > |
    > | 2.) If I multiclass to Ranger/Rogue, will I receive a 20% XP penalty
    > | PERMINANTLY, since I will NEVER be within 1 level of the Favored Class
    > | (since I am not a wizard in the first place.
    > |
    > | 3.) Will I receive the XP penalty as though my first class--in this case
    > | Ranger--were the favored class. (In other words, a Ranger 4/Rogue 1 would be
    > | penalized until it becomes Ranger 4/Rogue 3.)
    > |
    > | Thanks for helping me to sort this out!
    >

    > The penalty applies if you have 2 (or more) classes that are more than 1 level
    > apart, *EXCEPT* you get to ignore your favoured classes while working this out.
    >
    > There is never a penalty for a single-class character.

    And prestige classes don't count.

    Gary Lee wrote:
    > I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
    > skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a 20%
    > XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the Favored
    > Class.

    Not quite. There is a 20% XP penalty when you have more than one class
    and they're more than one level apart, /except/ the favored class
    doesn't count. Prestige classes (don't worry about them unless you have
    at least one of the expansions) also don't count.

    So:

    Level 8 Elven Wizard/Level 2 Rogue/Level 1 Ranger: No penalty. Rogue
    and ranger, being 2 and 1, are within one level of each other, and
    wizard doesn't count.
    Level 8 Elven Rogue/Level 4 Ranger/Level 1 Wizard: 20% penalty. Rogue
    and ranger are too far apart, but wizard still doesn't count.
    Level 8 Elven Rogue/Level 4 Ranger/Level 1 Barbarian: 40% penalty. Each
    of your classes is too far apart from the others, and each counts.
    Level 9 Elven Rogue/Level 1 Wizard/Level 5 Arcane Archer: No penalty.
    Wizard is the favored class and doesn't count, Arcane Archer is a
    prestige class and doesn't count, and that leaves nothing for Rogue to
    be too far away from.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Kish covered it pretty well.

    I'd just add that the underlying concept seems to be that the skills
    associated with a particular class are so common within a given race's
    culture, that adventurers of that race are especially likely to take a
    few levels in it, regardless of what their main occupation is. So,
    arcane magic is so much a part of elven culture that even fighters are
    likely to study it a bit, without it distracting from their martial
    training.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    > Gary Lee wrote:
    >> I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
    >> skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a
    >> 20% XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the
    >> Favored Class. Since I am NOT playing an elf in his favored class:
    >>
    >> 1.) Am I receiving a 20% XP penalty on a regular basis because I am
    >> not using the Favored Class.
    >
    > Not if you are just a ranger. But as soon as you take a level of any other
    > class, aside from wizard, you will receive a 20% penalty until your
    > classes are back to being one level apart.
    >
    >> 2.) If I multiclass to Ranger/Rogue, will I receive a 20% XP penalty
    >> PERMINANTLY, since I will NEVER be within 1 level of the Favored Class
    >> (since I am not a wizard in the first place.
    >
    > You will not receive the penalty if you keep your ranger/rogue levels one
    > apart (such as being a level 5 ranger, level 4 rogue). You don't receive
    > the penalty just because you aren't using the race's favored class. The
    > deal with the favored class is that you ignore it when figuring the
    > penalty. So: A level 5 ranger, level 3 rogue (assuming elf) would receive
    > the penalty until you bring the rogue up to level 4. A level 5 wizard,
    > level 3 rogue would *not* receive the penalty because the wizard is the
    > elf's favored class, so you ignore it for the penalty.
    >
    >> 3.) Will I receive the XP penalty as though my first class--in this
    >> case Ranger--were the favored class. (In other words, a Ranger 4/Rogue 1
    >> would be penalized until it becomes Ranger 4/Rogue 3.)
    >
    > The parenthetical statement is true, but you are misusing the term
    > 'favored class.' The XP penalty is ignored with the favored class (which
    > for an elf is a wizard, and nothing else). Since you are not dealing with
    > wizard levels at all, forget the term favored class and just know that if
    > you don't keep your ranger/rogue levels one apart, you'll get the penalty.
    >
    > Hope that helps! :)

    I have a question on elves and gnomes wizard is their favored class - can
    sorcerer count as wizard class as favored class status? just wondering...
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
    > "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gary Lee wrote:
    >>
    >>>I started an elf Ranger, but think it would be nice to have a few Rogue
    >>>skills. The rules say that Wizard is the favored class, and there is a
    >>>20% XP penalty when the secondary class is not within 1 level of the
    >>>Favored Class. Since I am NOT playing an elf in his favored class:
    >>>
    >>>1.) Am I receiving a 20% XP penalty on a regular basis because I am
    >>>not using the Favored Class.
    >>
    >>Not if you are just a ranger. But as soon as you take a level of any other
    >>class, aside from wizard, you will receive a 20% penalty until your
    >>classes are back to being one level apart.
    >>

    >>>2.) If I multiclass to Ranger/Rogue, will I receive a 20% XP penalty
    >>>PERMINANTLY, since I will NEVER be within 1 level of the Favored Class
    >>>(since I am not a wizard in the first place.
    >>
    >>You will not receive the penalty if you keep your ranger/rogue levels one
    >>apart (such as being a level 5 ranger, level 4 rogue). You don't receive
    >>the penalty just because you aren't using the race's favored class. The
    >>deal with the favored class is that you ignore it when figuring the
    >>penalty. So: A level 5 ranger, level 3 rogue (assuming elf) would receive
    >>the penalty until you bring the rogue up to level 4. A level 5 wizard,
    >>level 3 rogue would *not* receive the penalty because the wizard is the
    >>elf's favored class, so you ignore it for the penalty.
    >>

    >>>3.) Will I receive the XP penalty as though my first class--in this
    >>>case Ranger--were the favored class. (In other words, a Ranger 4/Rogue 1
    >>>would be penalized until it becomes Ranger 4/Rogue 3.)
    >>
    >>The parenthetical statement is true, but you are misusing the term
    >>'favored class.' The XP penalty is ignored with the favored class (which
    >>for an elf is a wizard, and nothing else). Since you are not dealing with
    >>wizard levels at all, forget the term favored class and just know that if
    >>you don't keep your ranger/rogue levels one apart, you'll get the penalty.
    >>
    >>Hope that helps! :)
    >

    > I have a question on elves and gnomes wizard is their favored class - can
    > sorcerer count as wizard class as favored class status? just wondering...

    No, wizard and sorcerer are two separate classes. Sorcerer isn't any
    race's favored class.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:

    > I have a question on elves and gnomes wizard is their favored class - can
    > sorcerer count as wizard class as favored class status? just wondering...

    No. If it meant sorcerer it would say sorcerer. Similarly, a dwarf's
    favored class is only fighter--not ranger, not barbarian, not paladin.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
    >> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>Not if you are just a ranger. But as soon as you take a level of any
    >>>other class, aside from wizard, you will receive a 20% penalty until your
    >>>classes are back to being one level apart.

    >>>You will not receive the penalty if you keep your ranger/rogue levels one
    >>>apart (such as being a level 5 ranger, level 4 rogue). You don't receive
    >>>the penalty just because you aren't using the race's favored class. The
    >>>deal with the favored class is that you ignore it when figuring the
    >>>penalty. So: A level 5 ranger, level 3 rogue (assuming elf) would receive
    >>>the penalty until you bring the rogue up to level 4. A level 5 wizard,
    >>>level 3 rogue would *not* receive the penalty because the wizard is the
    >>>elf's favored class, so you ignore it for the penalty.

    >>>The parenthetical statement is true, but you are misusing the term
    >>>'favored class.' The XP penalty is ignored with the favored class (which
    >>>for an elf is a wizard, and nothing else). Since you are not dealing with
    >>>wizard levels at all, forget the term favored class and just know that if
    >>>you don't keep your ranger/rogue levels one apart, you'll get the
    >>>penalty.
    >>>
    >>>Hope that helps! :)
    >>

    >> I have a question on elves and gnomes wizard is their favored class - can
    >> sorcerer count as wizard class as favored class status? just
    >> wondering...
    >
    > No, wizard and sorcerer are two separate classes. Sorcerer isn't any
    > race's favored class.

    so if I wanted to multiclass with sorcerer, I'd probably want to be human or
    halfelf where highest is automatically favored.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:

    > so if I wanted to multiclass with sorcerer, I'd probably want to be human or
    > halfelf where highest is automatically favored.

    Either that, or choose your race's favored class (such as being a dwarf
    fighter, then taking a few levels in sorcerer later). But it's generally
    not considered a good idea to multiclass a wizard or sorcerer anyway,
    since with those two you want to have as many levels in it as possible,
    for the most powerful spells. (E.g., Magic Missile improves up to level
    9, but if you multiclass, it will take you longer to get to your ninth
    wizard or sorcerer level.)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
    >
    >> so if I wanted to multiclass with sorcerer, I'd probably want to be human
    >> or halfelf where highest is automatically favored.
    >
    > Either that, or choose your race's favored class (such as being a dwarf
    > fighter, then taking a few levels in sorcerer later). But it's generally
    > not considered a good idea to multiclass a wizard or sorcerer anyway,
    > since with those two you want to have as many levels in it as possible,
    > for the most powerful spells. (E.g., Magic Missile improves up to level 9,
    > but if you multiclass, it will take you longer to get to your ninth wizard
    > or sorcerer level.)

    so to use a halfelf to get arcane archer, only bard/rogue is the best
    route... sorcerer is okay... I personally don't like wizard and prefer the
    sorcerer... in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from
    scrolls but I don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
    > in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from
    > scrolls but I don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...

    Wizards can add spells from scrolls to their spellbook. Just right-click
    the scroll and choose Scribe Scroll from the radial menu. You can only
    scribe a scroll if you can cast that level of spell and you do not
    already have it in your spellbook.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:

    > so to use a halfelf to get arcane archer, only bard/rogue is the best
    > route... sorcerer is okay... I personally don't like wizard and prefer the
    > sorcerer... in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from
    > scrolls but I don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...

    Like Barry says, just right-click the scroll and choose the option to
    add the spell to your spellbook. Also like he says, you can only add it
    if you can cast that level of spells, and if it's not already there,
    naturally.

    As far as your Arcane Archer goes, I would recommend doing
    Ranger/Wizard/Arcane Archer, because that will get you to the AA
    quicker. One requirement for the AA is a Base Attack Bonus (BAB) of +6.
    A ranger gets +6 at level 6, then you take a level of wizard (or
    sorcerer, doesn't really matter if you're a half-elf), then continue
    from there on with AA. If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't
    get a +6 BAB until level 8, and with a rogue you'd still need a level of
    wizard/sorcerer in order to cast arcane spells (another requirement for
    AA). So with a bard the earliest level of AA would be 9, and with a
    rogue it would be 10. (But of course, with a rogue you could stop at
    level 7 (BAB +5), then take two levels of wizard/sorcerer and your BAB
    would then be +6 at character level 9, like the bard. But either way,
    you'd be delaying when you can start your AA levels.

    Of course, this is all assuming that you want to be strictly an AA. It
    sounds like you are interested in taking multiple levels of sorcerer, so
    your character would be more of a multiclasser than simply trying to get
    to AA and stick with it. You have to be careful of that, because with a
    wizard/sorcerer, you want high levels to make your spells as effective
    as possible. But it all depends on what you want from your character, as
    well as role-playing reasons. If you are more interested in a bard or
    rogue than a ranger, then follow that path.

    Wait, I just realized something. When you say, "so to use a halfelf to
    get arcane archer, only bard/rogue is the best route... sorcerer is
    okay... I personally don't like wizard," are you thinking that you only
    need to be one of these classes to become an AA? In the case of a bard,
    that's true, because they can cast arcane spells. It's also true for a
    wizard/sorcerer, it would just take a really long time since they have
    low attack bonuses. A rogue can't cast arcane spells, so to turn one
    into an AA, you'd have to multiclass with a wizard/sorcerer/bard.

    I hope that isn't too confusing. Feel free to keep asking, or email me
    personally. I just took an AA through Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes
    of the Underdark, so I can talk about them a little. :)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:

    > If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't
    > get a +6 BAB until level 8, and with a rogue you'd still need a level of
    > wizard/sorcerer in order to cast arcane spells (another requirement for
    > AA). So with a bard the earliest level of AA would be 9, and with a
    > rogue it would be 10. (But of course, with a rogue you could stop at
    > level 7 (BAB +5), then take two levels of wizard/sorcerer and your BAB
    > would then be +6 at character level 9, like the bard. But either way,
    > you'd be delaying when you can start your AA levels.

    Let me clarify that: The earliest level a bard would meet the
    requirements for an AA is level 8. So level 9 could start the AA.

    The earliest level a rogue would meet the prereqs would be level 9, and
    the AA wouldn't start until level 10.

    Rogues can use magic items, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't give them
    the ability to cast arcane spells, correct?
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Rogues can use magic items, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't give them
    > the ability to cast arcane spells, correct?

    Correct.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    John Salerno wrote:
    > If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't get a +6 BAB until
    level 8

    I don't have NWN in front of me (they frown on that at work) but in PnP
    3.0/3.5 DnD rules, rogue/bard progresseion is +1/BAB every two levels.

    So a rogue or bard wouldn't get to +6 BAB until level 12 (their BAB
    starts at 0 for first level, then goes up by one every two levels of
    rogue or bard).
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >>If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't get a +6 BAB until
    >
    > level 8
    >
    > I don't have NWN in front of me (they frown on that at work) but in PnP
    > 3.0/3.5 DnD rules, rogue/bard progresseion is +1/BAB every two levels.

    Err...no. Of the 11 base classes, only wizards and sorcerers have the +1
    per 2 levels BAB advancement. Bards, clerics, druids, monks and rogues
    all get +3 per 4 levels BAB tables. (The way it works is they get +0 BAB
    at first level and each 4th level thereafter--5, 9, 13 and 17--and +1
    BAB all other levels.) Barbarians, fighters, paladins and rangers have
    +1 per level BAB.

    That's straight out of the 3.5 d20 source docs. I don't think it is any
    different than version 3.0.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
    > Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
    >> in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from scrolls but I
    >> don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...
    >

    > Wizards can add spells from scrolls to their spellbook. Just right-click
    > the scroll and choose Scribe Scroll from the radial menu. You can only
    > scribe a scroll if you can cast that level of spell and you do not already
    > have it in your spellbook.
    > --
    > Barry Scott Will
    > Pyric RPG Publications
    > http://www.pyric.com/

    you can? it's not in my platinum rule book but the bit about only one
    henchman in official campaign isn't clear either [found out only in
    expansions is it 2]... I didn't know wizards could learn from scrolls in
    nwn... cool may try them again..
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
    >
    >> so to use a halfelf to get arcane archer, only bard/rogue is the best
    >> route... sorcerer is okay... I personally don't like wizard and prefer
    >> the sorcerer... in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from
    >> scrolls but I don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...
    >
    > Like Barry says, just right-click the scroll and choose the option to add
    > the spell to your spellbook. Also like he says, you can only add it if you
    > can cast that level of spells, and if it's not already there, naturally.
    >
    > As far as your Arcane Archer goes, I would recommend doing
    > Ranger/Wizard/Arcane Archer, because that will get you to the AA quicker.
    > One requirement for the AA is a Base Attack Bonus (BAB) of +6. A ranger
    > gets +6 at level 6, then you take a level of wizard (or sorcerer, doesn't
    > really matter if you're a half-elf), then continue from there on with AA.
    > If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't get a +6 BAB until level
    > 8, and with a rogue you'd still need a level of wizard/sorcerer in order
    > to cast arcane spells (another requirement for AA). So with a bard the
    > earliest level of AA would be 9, and with a rogue it would be 10. (But of
    > course, with a rogue you could stop at level 7 (BAB +5), then take two
    > levels of wizard/sorcerer and your BAB would then be +6 at character level
    > 9, like the bard. But either way, you'd be delaying when you can start
    > your AA levels.
    >
    > Of course, this is all assuming that you want to be strictly an AA. It
    > sounds like you are interested in taking multiple levels of sorcerer, so
    > your character would be more of a multiclasser than simply trying to get
    > to AA and stick with it. You have to be careful of that, because with a
    > wizard/sorcerer, you want high levels to make your spells as effective as
    > possible. But it all depends on what you want from your character, as well
    > as role-playing reasons. If you are more interested in a bard or rogue
    > than a ranger, then follow that path.
    >
    > Wait, I just realized something. When you say, "so to use a halfelf to get
    > arcane archer, only bard/rogue is the best route... sorcerer is okay... I
    > personally don't like wizard," are you thinking that you only need to be
    > one of these classes to become an AA? In the case of a bard, that's true,
    > because they can cast arcane spells. It's also true for a wizard/sorcerer,
    > it would just take a really long time since they have low attack bonuses.
    > A rogue can't cast arcane spells, so to turn one into an AA, you'd have to
    > multiclass with a wizard/sorcerer/bard.
    >
    > I hope that isn't too confusing. Feel free to keep asking, or email me
    > personally. I just took an AA through Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of
    > the Underdark, so I can talk about them a little. :)

    well with half elf the options are open.. I also didn't know the wizard
    could learn from scrolls. the thing about ranger and bard/sorcerer is the
    ranger is supposed to be higher wisdom and with rogue the the wisdom isn't
    that vital.. I could be wrong. I just tried various multi classes that were
    never available in earlier games... druid/bard... hey, I went crazy trying
    the combinations out but found it easier when they had some similar
    demands... bard/rogue/arcane archer was okay. bard or sorcerer could get me
    the arcane spell casting. the rogue just got me the bow use.. I could have
    used plain fighter with an arcane spell caster. I may try the fighter/wizard
    to get it or ranger again... but is wisdom that important to the ranger? if
    you just want it for the bow and +6 otherwise not important, I suppose..
    thanks for info... wow got some playing around to do...
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:

    > to get it or ranger again... but is wisdom that important to the ranger? if
    > you just want it for the bow and +6 otherwise not important, I suppose..
    > thanks for info... wow got some playing around to do...

    Don't forget, if you choose elf as your race, you get proficiency with
    bows no matter which classes you choose.

    Now, as far as a ranger goes, wisdom is only important if you plan to be
    a spell caster. The ranger casts divine spells that rely on his wisdom
    score, but if you are only choosing ranger in order to get to (and stay
    with) the arcane archer, then wisdom isn't important at all. I created a
    ranger/wizard/AA and I never use spells, because the whole purpose of
    the build was so I could make a great archer. Once you stop advancing in
    ranger levels, you stop gaining ranger spells, so a high wisdom won't do
    you any good anyway.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >> If you choose to use a bard or rogue, you won't get a +6 BAB until level
    >> 8, and with a rogue you'd still need a level of wizard/sorcerer in order
    >> to cast arcane spells (another requirement for AA). So with a bard the
    >> earliest level of AA would be 9, and with a rogue it would be 10. (But of
    >> course, with a rogue you could stop at level 7 (BAB +5), then take two
    >> levels of wizard/sorcerer and your BAB would then be +6 at character
    >> level 9, like the bard. But either way, you'd be delaying when you can
    >> start your AA levels.
    >
    > Let me clarify that: The earliest level a bard would meet the requirements
    > for an AA is level 8. So level 9 could start the AA.
    >
    > The earliest level a rogue would meet the prereqs would be level 9, and
    > the AA wouldn't start until level 10.
    >
    > Rogues can use magic items, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't give them the
    > ability to cast arcane spells, correct?

    I mainly added rogue because it a) had a bow use and b)was similar in stats
    needed to the bard that could cast arcane spells. it just seemed that a bard
    could easily also be a full thief as well then use that combonation and the
    fact that it was at least part elf to be an arcane archer... [roleplaying
    rationale]

    I do like the fact that you could prepare stats for very different paths
    like druid/sorcerer/rogue if you want. this wasnt possible in earlier dnd
    pc games...
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I don't have NWN in front of me (they frown on that at work) but in PnP
    > 3.0/3.5 DnD rules, rogue/bard progresseion is +1/BAB every two levels.

    No. Fighters, rangers, paladins, and barbarians get +1 every level.
    Clerics, druids, rogues, bards, and monks get +2 every three levels.
    Wizards and sorcerers get +1 every other level.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Stanley Rexwinkle" <hahntsak@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
    >> Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
    >>> in baldur's gate 2 the wizard could learn new spells from scrolls but I
    >>> don't see that in NWN. just getting the hang of it...
    >>

    >> Wizards can add spells from scrolls to their spellbook. Just right-click
    >> the scroll and choose Scribe Scroll from the radial menu. You can only
    >> scribe a scroll if you can cast that level of spell and you do not
    >> already have it in your spellbook.
    >> --
    >> Barry Scott Will
    >> Pyric RPG Publications
    >> http://www.pyric.com/
    >>

    > you can? it's not in my platinum rule book but the bit about only one
    > henchman in official campaign isn't clear either [found out only in
    > expansions is it 2]... I didn't know wizards could learn from scrolls in
    > nwn... cool may try them again..

    Er, um, if you played the OC from the very beginning through the "Prelude"
    and checked all the halls after that idiot in the warrior hall who wanted
    "Sir, Yes, Sir!" - Pleban, or whatever - you would have found a little
    tutorial about that if you went through it. Can't miss it, its the first
    one after the warrior hall and in the back of the little hall there are 2
    people blasting a manikin with various spells. If you were a
    wizard/sorcerer user you would have had to speak to him to pass your test
    (not sure about bards) after blasting a statue with your own magic skills or
    with some scrolls found nearby in a chest - burning hands and magic missile
    (in my version).

    Besides, completing the "Prelude" you get a few levels before the game
    proper starts and this helps a lot in the early part of the game.

    Check it out next time.

    Dave
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Stanley Rexwinkle" <hahntsak@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Wizards can add spells from scrolls to their spellbook. Just right-click
    >>> the scroll and choose Scribe Scroll from the radial menu. You can only
    >>> scribe a scroll if you can cast that level of spell and you do not
    >>> already have it in your spellbook.
    >>> --
    >>> Barry Scott Will
    >>> Pyric RPG Publications
    >>> http://www.pyric.com/
    >>>

    >> you can? it's not in my platinum rule book but the bit about only one
    >> henchman in official campaign isn't clear either [found out only in
    >> expansions is it 2]... I didn't know wizards could learn from scrolls in
    >> nwn... cool may try them again..
    >
    > Er, um, if you played the OC from the very beginning through the "Prelude"
    > and checked all the halls after that idiot in the warrior hall who wanted
    > "Sir, Yes, Sir!" - Pleban, or whatever - you would have found a little
    > tutorial about that if you went through it. Can't miss it, its the first
    > one after the warrior hall and in the back of the little hall there are 2
    > people blasting a manikin with various spells. If you were a
    > wizard/sorcerer user you would have had to speak to him to pass your test
    > (not sure about bards) after blasting a statue with your own magic skills
    > or with some scrolls found nearby in a chest - burning hands and magic
    > missile (in my version).
    >
    > Besides, completing the "Prelude" you get a few levels before the game
    > proper starts and this helps a lot in the early part of the game.
    >
    > Check it out next time.
    >
    > Dave

    I played with sorcerer originally I didn't notice that. bard and didn't
    notice it either. wizard didn't go that far and gave up on it, but have
    recently tried wizard again [now that I know that he can learn from
    scrolls]. the wizard is okay. I still like sorcerer better than wizard. I
    have since bg2. but I will try a game with elf as wizard/fighter/ arcane
    archer. I do like the flexibility of nwn in my first character was like
    bard/sorcerer/druid really weak, but it was fun to play at times.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
    >
    >> to get it or ranger again... but is wisdom that important to the ranger?
    >> if you just want it for the bow and +6 otherwise not important, I
    >> suppose.. thanks for info... wow got some playing around to do...
    >
    > Don't forget, if you choose elf as your race, you get proficiency with
    > bows no matter which classes you choose.
    >
    > Now, as far as a ranger goes, wisdom is only important if you plan to be a
    > spell caster. The ranger casts divine spells that rely on his wisdom
    > score, but if you are only choosing ranger in order to get to (and stay
    > with) the arcane archer, then wisdom isn't important at all. I created a
    > ranger/wizard/AA and I never use spells, because the whole purpose of the
    > build was so I could make a great archer. Once you stop advancing in
    > ranger levels, you stop gaining ranger spells, so a high wisdom won't do
    > you any good anyway.

    wouldn't fighter be better than ranger for the bow aspect? if I'm just
    getting them for the bow.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:

    > wouldn't fighter be better than ranger for the bow aspect?

    In terms of bow use, I don't see how either class is better. Both start
    with martial weapon proficiency, so it's not like a fighter can use a
    bow better than a ranger. If you're a fighter until you become an AA,
    you get the bonus feats, which is great, but a ranger gets more skill
    points per level. I guess it just depends on which class you want to
    play, and what your plans are for the character. If you are working
    toward a pure AA build, then it doesn't matter too much. If you are
    trying to balance AA with the basic class, then you'll have to decide
    how you want to play your character.

    > if I'm just
    > getting them for the bow.

    I didn't suggest to pick a ranger just for the bow use. I said if you
    chose elf as your race, then your class didn't matter because elves have
    proficiency with bows.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    D'Oh! I _knew_ that... must have been some _really_ bad drugs :-)

    Heh, I'm doing yet another 3.5 character sheet in Excel (because the
    various free ones I've found in casual browsing don't suit me*) -
    here's my formula for determining BAB for bards, rogues, monks,
    clerics, and druids (where B4 is the level):

    =IF(B4>0,ROUNDUP((B4-1)*0.75,0),"0")

    I may have been suffering from anal-cranial inversion last Friday, but
    I got it right a few months ago when I started the spreadsheet!

    *Because I want it to support multiple classes but still print mostly
    on one sheet of paper - and do it without macros/VB
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    D'Oh! I _knew_ that... must have been some _really_ bad drugs :-)

    Heh, I'm doing yet another 3.5 character sheet in Excel (because the
    various free ones I've found in casual browsing don't suit me*) -
    here's my formula for determining BAB for bards, rogues, monks,
    clerics, and druids (where B4 is the level):

    =IF(B4>0,ROUNDUP((B4-1)*0.75,0),"0")

    I may have been suffering from anal-cranial inversion last Friday, but
    I got it right a few months ago when I started the spreadsheet!

    *Because I want it to support multiple classes but still print mostly
    on one sheet of paper - and do it without macros/VB
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    D'Oh! I _knew_ that... must have been some _really_ bad drugs :-)

    Heh, I'm doing yet another 3.5 character sheet in Excel (because the
    various free ones I've found in casual browsing don't suit me*) -
    here's my formula for determining BAB for bards, rogues, monks,
    clerics, and druids (where B4 is the level):

    =IF(B4>0,ROUNDUP((B4-1)*0.75,0),"0")

    I may have been suffering from anal-cranial inversion last Friday, but
    I got it right a few months ago when I started the spreadsheet!

    *Because I want it to support multiple classes but still print mostly
    on one sheet of paper - and do it without macros/VB
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> writes:

    > alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > I don't have NWN in front of me (they frown on that at work) but in PnP
    > > 3.0/3.5 DnD rules, rogue/bard progresseion is +1/BAB every two levels.
    >
    > No. Fighters, rangers, paladins, and barbarians get +1 every
    > level. Clerics, druids, rogues, bards, and monks get +2 every three
    > levels. Wizards and sorcerers get +1 every other level.

    Clerics, druids, rogues, bards and monks get +3 every four levels.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:
    > D'Oh! I _knew_ that... must have been some _really_ bad drugs :-)
    >
    > Heh, I'm doing yet another 3.5 character sheet in Excel (because the
    > various free ones I've found in casual browsing don't suit me*) -
    > here's my formula for determining BAB for bards, rogues, monks,
    > clerics, and druids (where B4 is the level):
    >
    > =IF(B4>0,ROUNDUP((B4-1)*0.75,0),"0")
    >
    > I may have been suffering from anal-cranial inversion last Friday, but
    > I got it right a few months ago when I started the spreadsheet!
    >
    > *Because I want it to support multiple classes but still print mostly
    > on one sheet of paper - and do it without macros/VB

    I did a similar exercise for 3.0 but used lookup tables and typed in the
    actual tables. Handled multiclass perfectly - never got around to
    prestige classes as my party never had any :-)

    Kharsis
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
    >
    >> wouldn't fighter be better than ranger for the bow aspect?
    >

    > In terms of bow use, I don't see how either class is better. Both start
    > with martial weapon proficiency, so it's not like a fighter can use a
    > bow better than a ranger. If you're a fighter until you become an AA,
    > you get the bonus feats, which is great, but a ranger gets more skill
    > points per level. I guess it just depends on which class you want to
    > play, and what your plans are for the character. If you are working
    > toward a pure AA build, then it doesn't matter too much. If you are
    > trying to balance AA with the basic class, then you'll have to decide
    > how you want to play your character.
    >
    > > if I'm just
    > > getting them for the bow.
    >
    > I didn't suggest to pick a ranger just for the bow use. I said if you
    > chose elf as your race, then your class didn't matter because elves have
    > proficiency with bows.

    One advantage to choosing a ranger is that the class skills line up
    better with the class skills for an arcane archer.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Brian G. Vaughan wrote:

    > One advantage to choosing a ranger is that the class skills line up
    > better with the class skills for an arcane archer.

    Plus you just get a wider selection of skills with a ranger anyway, so
    you have more options.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    ">>> wouldn't fighter be better than ranger for the bow aspect?

    >> In terms of bow use, I don't see how either class is better. Both start
    >> with martial weapon proficiency, so it's not like a fighter can use a bow
    >> better than a ranger. If you're a fighter until you become an AA, you get
    >> the bonus feats, which is great, but a ranger gets more skill points per
    >> level. I guess it just depends on which class you want to play, and what
    >> your plans are for the character. If you are working toward a pure AA
    >> build, then it doesn't matter too much. If you are trying to balance AA
    >> with the basic class, then you'll have to decide how you want to play
    >> your character.
    >>
    >> > if I'm just
    >> > getting them for the bow.
    >>
    >> I didn't suggest to pick a ranger just for the bow use. I said if you
    >> chose elf as your race, then your class didn't matter because elves have
    >> proficiency with bows.
    >
    > One advantage to choosing a ranger is that the class skills line up better
    > with the class skills for an arcane archer.

    Some other extras are:-

    A ranger has an animal companion.

    A ranger has some magic skills.

    A ranger is a little bit better with a bow than a fighter with the same
    stats.

    A ranger has two weapon, ambidex, two hand weapons for free, depending on
    level.

    A ranger has favoured enemy bonuses that stack when fighting those enemies.

    Equipped with speed boots, a good bow and magic arrows, a ranger is
    absolutely devastating at long range and with his dual/ambidex skills using,
    say, a magic halberd, he can hack and slash his way through a crowd of
    enemies like a hot knife through butter.

    A ranger does not have heavy armor feat at the start as does the fighter but
    the ranger does not really require that.

    Keep DEX at about the same level as STR and using some points for WIS, you
    can get away with less CON points, compared to a fighter.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Dave wrote:

    > A ranger is a little bit better with a bow than a fighter with the same
    > stats.

    What? No.

    > A ranger has two weapon, ambidex, two hand weapons for free, depending on
    > level.

    ....which a bow-wielder isn't going to be using--and a fighter gets many
    more feats than a ranger, and can actually choose feats that matter to a
    bow-wielder.

    You also left out "a fighter can take Weapon Specialization with a bow,
    and a ranger can't."

    > A ranger has favoured enemy bonuses that stack when fighting those enemies.
    >
    > Equipped with speed boots, a good bow and magic arrows, a ranger is
    > absolutely devastating at long range and with his dual/ambidex skills using,
    > say, a magic halberd,

    Since when can a NWN PC race dual-wield a halberd?
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Kish wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >

    >>A ranger is a little bit better with a bow than a fighter with the same
    >>stats.
    >

    > What? No.

    Yeah, I don't understand this idea of one class being 'better' with a
    weapon than another class. RPing-wise, sure; but that's not what we're
    talking about here.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Brian G. Vaughan" <foolishowl_hates_spam@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >> Stanley Rexwinkle wrote:
    >>
    >>> wouldn't fighter be better than ranger for the bow aspect?
    >>

    >> In terms of bow use, I don't see how either class is better. Both start
    >> with martial weapon proficiency, so it's not like a fighter can use a bow
    >> better than a ranger. If you're a fighter until you become an AA, you get
    >> the bonus feats, which is great, but a ranger gets more skill points per
    >> level. I guess it just depends on which class you want to play, and what
    >> your plans are for the character. If you are working toward a pure AA
    >> build, then it doesn't matter too much. If you are trying to balance AA
    >> with the basic class, then you'll have to decide how you want to play
    >> your character.
    >>
    >> > if I'm just
    >> > getting them for the bow.
    >>
    >> I didn't suggest to pick a ranger just for the bow use. I said if you
    >> chose elf as your race, then your class didn't matter because elves have
    >> proficiency with bows.
    >
    > One advantage to choosing a ranger is that the class skills line up better
    > with the class skills for an arcane archer.

    they do? cool, I'll try the ranger [spells negligible] with the arcane
    caster
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >> A ranger is a little bit better with a bow than a fighter with the same
    >> stats.
    >
    > What? No.
    >

    >> A ranger has two weapon, ambidex, two hand weapons for free, depending on
    >> level.
    >
    > ...which a bow-wielder isn't going to be using--and a fighter gets many
    > more feats than a ranger, and can actually choose feats that matter to a
    > bow-wielder.
    >
    > You also left out "a fighter can take Weapon Specialization with a bow,
    > and a ranger can't."
    >

    >> A ranger has favoured enemy bonuses that stack when fighting those
    >> enemies.
    >>
    >> Equipped with speed boots, a good bow and magic arrows, a ranger is
    >> absolutely devastating at long range and with his dual/ambidex skills
    >> using, say, a magic halberd,
    >
    > Since when can a NWN PC race dual-wield a halberd?

    I was actually thinking of a two bladed sword. Dunno why I said halberd. I
    read somewhere that some large weapons become two-handed for some races and
    have penalties unless the character has ambidex, dual wield, etc. Not 100%
    sure if this applies to NWN or some other game.

    It really depends on your style of play. I'd rather use a ranger with
    animal companion as tank/fodder and stand back and blast away with a bow and
    magical arrows until the companion is gone then wade in with a good hand
    weapon. I like to use light armour as you loose less dex bonuses and the
    high dex makes the ranged weapons shots more accurate. I also like a bit of
    a challenge and a high STR, high CON fighter with heavy magic armour didn't
    provide me with that.

    I am currently playing an elf druid as the elf can use swords and bows and
    there are plenty of swords through the OC and expansions but few scimitars.
    Since the druid has magic ability, I have been using that instead of
    building up weapons skills. It has been interesting so far.

    Next I think I will try something a bit more challenging, such as a gnome
    barbarian or even a gnome ranger. Should be interesting.

    Dave
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > Kish wrote:
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>

    >>>A ranger is a little bit better with a bow than a fighter with the same
    >>>stats.
    >>

    >> What? No.
    >
    > Yeah, I don't understand this idea of one class being 'better' with a
    > weapon than another class. RPing-wise, sure; but that's not what we're
    > talking about here.

    It all depends on your character's set-up.

    For a fighter you would have high CON and STR and not worry about the other
    stats much if you're going to continue through as a fighter.

    A ranger has some magic abilities and to be able to use that has to put some
    points towards WIS. If you don't get the heavy armour feat then you should
    put some points to DEX as well as this helps the dodge and tumble skills.
    High DEX also makes shots with ranged weapons more accurate.

    The time I made a fighter, I concentrated on the STR and CON stats and did
    not worry much about the others and let magical items boost them. At the
    time, people said this was the best way to set-up a fighter. With henchman
    Linu set to use ranged weapons and add boosts and heal spells the game was
    too easy and the fighter just tanked his way through so it was not much of a
    challenge. By the time I finished chapter 2 of the OC I was totally bored
    with the fighter and restarted the game with a different character. The
    fighter was my second time (partially)through the game, i.e. my second
    character. Towards the end of chapter 1 I noticed my fighter was a bad shot
    with ranged weapons and when my fighter got enough experience I would save
    the game, start the level-up procedure and cancel at the end, exit the game
    so I could read the PDF manual and see what feats were available and what
    the requirements were. I started to notice that I could not get some feats
    because my fighter's DEX was too low. My character's DEX score was low to
    start with and you only get to boost an ability every 4 or 5 levels so by
    the end of chapter 2 I decided to dump the fighter and restart with another,
    despite the fighter doing so well.

    The first time through was with a high CHA half-elf sorcerer and while he
    started off weak and died a lot (and I was learning the game) he ended well.
    I kept boosting CHA to get lots of spells and left INT at +2 to get a few
    skill points on level-up. The final confrontation was too easy as my
    sorcerer was at level 20 in the early part of chapter 4 as I would play part
    way through a chapter, save the character and restart the chapter with the
    saved character. When I played the fighter I did not even have to do that.

    I like the ability to use magic in any class I pick so, for me, the ranger
    was a better option than the fighter. It was years ago when I first got the
    game and in that version the odds were stacked in favour of the fighter over
    the other characters classes.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Dave wrote:

    >>Yeah, I don't understand this idea of one class being 'better' with a
    >>weapon than another class. RPing-wise, sure; but that's not what we're
    >>talking about here.
    >

    > It all depends on your character's set-up.
    >
    > For a fighter you would have high CON and STR and not worry about the other
    > stats much if you're going to continue through as a fighter.

    Obviously it all depends on DEX. What I'm saying is, if you choose a
    fighter and plan to make him a ranged weapon user, then you will put
    more points in DEX and neglect STR a little more than normal. But a
    fighter and a ranger, both with a DEX of 18, are exactly the same in
    terms of bow use.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >>> Yeah, I don't understand this idea of one class being 'better' with a
    >>> weapon than another class. RPing-wise, sure; but that's not what
    >>> we're talking about here.
    >>

    >> It all depends on your character's set-up.
    >>
    >> For a fighter you would have high CON and STR and not worry about the
    >> other stats much if you're going to continue through as a fighter.
    >

    > Obviously it all depends on DEX. What I'm saying is, if you choose a
    > fighter and plan to make him a ranged weapon user, then you will put
    > more points in DEX and neglect STR a little more than normal. But a
    > fighter and a ranger, both with a DEX of 18, are exactly the same in
    > terms of bow use.

    Unless the fighter has Feats directed toward bow use that the ranger
    doesn't have.

    You don't /have/ to focus on Strength and Constitution with a fighter.
    Fighters can have as much variety as most classes.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Kish wrote:

    > Unless the fighter has Feats directed toward bow use that the ranger
    > doesn't have.
    >
    > You don't /have/ to focus on Strength and Constitution with a fighter.
    > Fighters can have as much variety as most classes.

    True. Basically I was just making the point that any particular class
    isn't better or worse with a weapon than any other, because they all
    have the feats available to take, except of course a fighter gets a lot
    more, and he also has weapon specialization.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Dave wrote:
    > "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Kish wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dave wrote:

    SNIP

    > The first time through was with a high CHA half-elf sorcerer and while he
    > started off weak and died a lot (and I was learning the game) he ended well.
    > I kept boosting CHA to get lots of spells and left INT at +2 to get a few
    > skill points on level-up. The final confrontation was too easy as my
    > sorcerer was at level 20 in the early part of chapter 4 as I would play part
    > way through a chapter, save the character and restart the chapter with the
    > saved character. When I played the fighter I did not even have to do that.

    Its no wonder you found the game easy using that method as you would
    receive approx 1.5 times the XP than you would normally.

    Kharsis

Games Windows XP Video Games