Direct X 10 and AGP

xduggy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
They have made some high end direct x 9 AGP cards recently. Probably because of the large installed base that still exists for AGP. My questions are... Is it possible and will they make AGP cards for direct x 10? And if they can, will they fully support direct x 10? And how much in terms of framerate would an AGP vs PCI express version differ?

utahraptor

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
I don't think it would be a good business decision to make a dx10 AGP card because motherboards that do not support PCI express probably don't support vista or games that need dx10 as a general rule.

cleeve

Illustrious
It's a sure bet... I'd say a 90% chance probability - that there will be DirectX 10 cards for AGP.

Almost certainly there will be low end cards, and very likely there will be mid-end cards like the upcoming 8600 and X2600.

Alot of AGP mobos will run Vista just fine.

I agree with the low-end, but I doubt the X2600/GF8600 until much later, maybe not as long as the previous generation, but likely close to the time it took to get the GF7600GS or even X1600 out, which remember was 7+ months after the launch of the GF7800. Heck, I'd be surprised if the mid-range hit AGP before June.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I concur. Too many AGP users out there still for them to ignore the market entirely. Recent introductions of more AGP cards into the market in recent months point to the fact the manufacturers are starting to realize as well that people won't just jump aboard the PCI-E express (pun intended) just because they cease production of AGP models. So they have responded by making AGP cards again.

Agreed with above that it will mostly be low end, possibly midrange but very doubtful high end.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
im pretty sure there will be Dx10 cards in AGP aswell, but most probably not the high end ones. But who knows, there was a time when people said the 6800 nvidia cards would be the last high end (back then it was high end) agp cards ever. :roll: