enchant arrow and unlimited arrows

Does the AA feat Enchant Arrow, and the bow ability Unlimited Arrows +5,
stack? Or does the Enchant Arrow feat get cancelled since the 'arrows'
you are using are enchanted?

John Salerno wrote:
> Does the AA feat Enchant Arrow, and the bow ability Unlimited Arrows +5,
> stack? Or does the Enchant Arrow feat get cancelled since the 'arrows'
> you are using are enchanted?

Enchant Arrow stacks with everything.

Works for me.

Best
Maxon

Kish wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>Does the AA feat Enchant Arrow, and the bow ability Unlimited Arrows +5,
>>stack? Or does the Enchant Arrow feat get cancelled since the 'arrows'
>>you are using are enchanted?
>

> Enchant Arrow stacks with everything.

But isn't there some kind of stipulation that says it doesn't work with
arrows that already have an enhancement on them?

David

> Kish wrote:
>> John Salerno wrote:
>>
>>>Does the AA feat Enchant Arrow, and the bow ability Unlimited Arrows +5,
>>>stack? Or does the Enchant Arrow feat get cancelled since the 'arrows'
>>>you are using are enchanted?
>>

>> Enchant Arrow stacks with everything.
>
> But isn't there some kind of stipulation that says it doesn't work with
> arrows that already have an enhancement on them?

So try it. Save the game. Buy the upgrade. Shoot a drow with an imbued
arrow while no ammo is equipped. If it doesn't work and you decide you
don't want it, reload the game.

David

--
CaissaWas__SPAMHater__INTP@adelphia__ANTIV__.net without the block

David wrote:

> So try it. Save the game. Buy the upgrade. Shoot a drow with an imbued
> arrow while no ammo is equipped. If it doesn't work and you decide you
> don't want it, reload the game.

I tried it and took note of my attack bonuses on my character sheet. I
noticed that they didn't increase or decrease, so it looks like the "+5"
is referring to a damage bonus on the arrows and not an enhancement
bonus anyway. Now I just need to decide if it's worth getting Mighty
+10. I probably won't have a STR bonus that high, but I hate the idea of
not being able to do it later if I choose Mighty +5 right now.

David

> David wrote:
>
>> So try it. Save the game. Buy the upgrade. Shoot a drow with an imbued
>> arrow while no ammo is equipped. If it doesn't work and you decide you
>> don't want it, reload the game.
>
> I tried it and took note of my attack bonuses on my character sheet. I
> noticed that they didn't increase or decrease, so it looks like the "+5"
> is referring to a damage bonus on the arrows and not an enhancement bonus
> anyway. Now I just need to decide if it's worth getting Mighty +10. I
> probably won't have a STR bonus that high, but I hate the idea of not
> being able to do it later if I choose Mighty +5 right now.

Ok, that brings up another question. In PnP, if you don't have the full
mighty bonus, you get a penalty on attack. Does this translate over into
NWN? I would follow my own advice and try it, but I don't have an
appropriate spot saved.

David

--

David wrote:

> Ok, that brings up another question. In PnP, if you don't have the full
> mighty bonus, you get a penalty on attack. Does this translate over into
> NWN? I would follow my own advice and try it, but I don't have an
> appropriate spot saved.

No, I'm not getting a penalty, and I'm well below the Mighty +10 I have
on my longbow.

David wrote:
> Ok, that brings up another question. In PnP, if you don't have the full
> mighty bonus, you get a penalty on attack. Does this translate over into
> NWN?

IIRC, in PnP, mighty represents the Strength required to draw the bow;
thus, if you have a lower STR, your ability to draw the bow is impaired
and you suffer a penalty to attack. In NWN, Mighty is just a magic
property added to a bow that affects damage dealt. It has no effect on
your attack.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

David

"Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
> David wrote:
>> Ok, that brings up another question. In PnP, if you don't have the full
>> mighty bonus, you get a penalty on attack. Does this translate over into
>> NWN?
>

> IIRC, in PnP, mighty represents the Strength required to draw the bow;
> thus, if you have a lower STR, your ability to draw the bow is impaired
> and you suffer a penalty to attack. In NWN, Mighty is just a magic
> property added to a bow that affects damage dealt. It has no effect on
> your attack.
> --

Thanks for clarifying. That detail is useful.

David

--

David wrote:

> >> Enchant Arrow stacks with everything.
> >
> > But isn't there some kind of stipulation that says it doesn't work with
> > arrows that already have an enhancement on them?
>
> So try it. Save the game. Buy the upgrade. Shoot a drow with an imbued
> arrow while no ammo is equipped. If it doesn't work and you decide you
> don't want it, reload the game.

A good way to see how the damage is being calculated is to use the
dm_enablecombatdebugging command (for each of these, bring up the
console prompt by pressing the ~ key):

DebugMode 1
dm_enablecombatdebugging 1

Now shoot some cannon fodder and you'll see a full breakdown of your
attack and damage rolls, showing each bonus and penalty separately (it
only shows the physical damage, not any elemental or magic damage).
When I tried this I was pleasantly surprised to see that flanking was
implemented, even though Bioware's manuals say don't mention it.

When you're done:

dm_enablecombatdebugging 0
DebugMode 0

See also <http://nwn.bioware.com/dms/commands.html>.

HTH,
Richard.

John Salerno wrote:
> David wrote:
>
>> Ok, that brings up another question. In PnP, if you don't have the
>> full mighty bonus, you get a penalty on attack. Does this translate
>> over into NWN? I would follow my own advice and try it, but I don't
>> have an appropriate spot saved.
>

> No, I'm not getting a penalty, and I'm well below the Mighty +10 I have
> on my longbow.
All mighty +10 means is that a strength bonus of up to +10 will add to
the arrows damage. If your str bonus is less than +10 then you get that
bonus, iyour str bonus is higher than +10 you will onnly do +10.

Kharsis

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> David wrote:
>
>> Ok, that brings up another question. In PnP, if you don't have the
>> full mighty bonus, you get a penalty on attack. Does this translate
>> over into NWN?
>

> IIRC, in PnP, mighty represents the Strength required to draw the bow;
> thus, if you have a lower STR, your ability to draw the bow is impaired
> and you suffer a penalty to attack. In NWN, Mighty is just a magic
> property added to a bow that affects damage dealt. It has no effect on
> your attack.
Nope no penalties for using a mighty bow, just checked PnP hanndbook
for 3.0. It may have changed in 3.5 but NWN is based on 3.0

Kharsis

Kharsis wrote:
> Nope no penalties for using a mighty bow, just checked PnP hanndbook
> for 3.0. It may have changed in 3.5 but NWN is based on 3.0

I just checked my 3.5 PHB and there is a penalty. (Also interesting to
note that the word "Mighty" is never used, so it's not so much that
Bioware changed the rules, but in a way it's like they are just making
up a little rule of their own.)

Anyway, here's the relevant info:

"If you have a penalty for low Strength, apply it to damage rolls when
you use a longbow." (Not actually related to this discussion, but
interesting nonetheless.)

Here's the really relevant stuff:

"If your Strength bonus is less than the strength rating of the
composite longbow, you can't effectively use it, so you take a -2
penalty on attacks with it."

In other words, in PnP, if you had a composite longbow with a strength
rating of +2, you would have to have a STR of 14 in order to avoid the
attack roll penalty. You also get to add the +2 to your damage roll. If
you have a 12/13 STR, you still get to add the +1 to damage, but your
attack roll still suffers the -2 penalty. (That's all summarized from
the PHB.)

John Salerno wrote:
> I just checked my 3.5 PHB and there is a penalty. (Also interesting to
> note that the word "Mighty" is never used, so it's not so much that
> Bioware changed the rules, but in a way it's like they are just making
> up a little rule of their own.)

In my 3.0 PHB, Mighty Bows are discussed on page 113-114. They work as previously described - you get to add your STR
bonus (up to the (+) of "Mighty" on the bow) to damage. No penalty is mentioned for low STR.

I really should get a 3.5 copy and see what all has changed.

> "If you have a penalty for low Strength, apply it to damage rolls when
> you use a longbow." (Not actually related to this discussion, but
> interesting nonetheless.)
>
> Here's the really relevant stuff:
>
> "If your Strength bonus is less than the strength rating of the
> composite longbow, you can't effectively use it, so you take a -2
> penalty on attacks with it."

We had a house rule that for Mighty Bows, you couldn't draw it AT ALL if your STR bonus wasn't equal to (+) of Mighty on
the bow.
--
My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
"Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

everlast wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>I just checked my 3.5 PHB and there is a penalty. (Also interesting to
>>note that the word "Mighty" is never used, so it's not so much that
>>Bioware changed the rules, but in a way it's like they are just making
>>up a little rule of their own.)
>

> In my 3.0 PHB, Mighty Bows are discussed on page 113-114. They work as previously described - you get to add your STR
> bonus (up to the (+) of "Mighty" on the bow) to damage. No penalty is mentioned for low STR.

Sounds like the rule was changed with 3.5 as a compromise between
letting you use it with no penalty, and not letting you use it all (like
your house rules). It's not such a bad rule, I'm just glad it doesn't
apply in NWN with my Mighty +10! :)

> I really should get a 3.5 copy and see what all has changed.

Well, as soon as the gift set ships sooner than 1-2 weeks on B&N.com, I
plan to order it, which means I'll have an extra copy of the PHB. I
could sell it to you cheaper if you still want it then.

John Salerno wrote:
> Kharsis wrote:
>
>> Nope no penalties for using a mighty bow, just checked PnP hanndbook
>> for 3.0. It may have changed in 3.5 but NWN is based on 3.0
>

> I just checked my 3.5 PHB and there is a penalty. (Also interesting to
> note that the word "Mighty" is never used, so it's not so much that
> Bioware changed the rules, but in a way it's like they are just making
> up a little rule of their own.)
>
> Anyway, here's the relevant info:
>
> "If you have a penalty for low Strength, apply it to damage rolls when
> you use a longbow." (Not actually related to this discussion, but
> interesting nonetheless.)
>
> Here's the really relevant stuff:
>
> "If your Strength bonus is less than the strength rating of the
> composite longbow, you can't effectively use it, so you take a -2
> penalty on attacks with it."
>
> In other words, in PnP, if you had a composite longbow with a strength
> rating of +2, you would have to have a STR of 14 in order to avoid the
> attack roll penalty. You also get to add the +2 to your damage roll. If
> you have a 12/13 STR, you still get to add the +1 to damage, but your
> attack roll still suffers the -2 penalty. (That's all summarized from
> the PHB.)
All the more reason to stick with 3.0 :)

Kharsis

Kharsis wrote:

> All the more reason to stick with 3.0 :)
>
> Kharsis

That does seem to be a fairly big change. I wonder if NWN2 will
implement it.