Recommend Durable Always-On Wireless Broadband Router w/ ICS

maveric

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
I am currently using the Linksys WRT54GS for my Wired/Wireless network. Just last week it started showing signs of reverting back its default settings. I suspected that someone had played with the reset button, but I ruled that out since its placed on top of the highest shelf and the kids cant reach it. My wife also does not touch my "tech" stuff. It has not dropped, no signs of it and its feet are stuck with adhesive tape.

I am not sure if it turns off and turns on again or if it deliberately resets settings when I turn it off. It was doing fine for 2 months until last week.

Does anyone have this similar problem? I am thinking of replacing the unit with the store or with something much more durable and capable of being always turned on 24/7. Can anyone recommend a durable brand and model?

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
it shouldn't lose it settings from being turned off

the GS (well later versions are kinda well.... CRAP)... it may just be dying.

you may wanna double check that you do not have any remote admin features enabled... someone might have managed to log on and reset it remotely from the web.

I guess if it was me.... I would try to reflash it... (double check the Version number)... make sure you get the right firmware.

if you decide to flash it.

DO NOT TRY TO DO SO FROM A WIRELESS CONNECTION.
Disconnect the WAN port and all other LAN computers from the router except the one your doing the flash from.

then

make sure you have a strong password and disable any remote administration options.

if the problem persists

contact linksys for RMA (if under warr) or beat it with hammer if not.....

and get a WRT54GL instead.