disabling LED lights...

xdementia

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hi, I recently got a new box and the case fans all have annoying LED lights that light up when the machine is on. Is there a way I can disable these? I looked for a switch for them but couldn't find anything.

There are yellow, red, and black wires going to each fan, is it possible one of these is just for the light and I could just cut it?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah, the only way i can think of to disable the LED on case fan would be to cut the wire leading to the LED, or just ripping the think off completely. Or you could just get some case fans with no LEDs.

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
while leds look cool, I have as much toleration of them as i do for heamaroids really, just annoying, in my media centre i didnt even hook up the hdd messege and power led's cause too anoying
led's should all die of ghonoria and rot in hell :lol:

xdementia

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
i think u ment LED's

u can cut the wire on the LED or remove them from the fan, But DO NOT CUT THE POWER Wire

Yea that's what I want to do, but I'm wondering what wire it is that I should cut. There is a black,red, and yellow, does anyone have any idea which it might be?

Thanks.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
you need to leave the red, yellow and black wires alone if you want the fan to run. you will need to unmount the fan from the case and locate the source of the lights (the LED's), find the small wires that go to each LED, there will be two wires for each LED. you only need to cut one wire from each LED to make the LED not light up.

davmalu369

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
if it has a white band going around it (I have the Thermaltake ones) then you have to cut that off, there will be two wires that connected to that and u have to cut them and cover them w/ electrical tape.