How to apply Arctic Silver 5 to a core 2 duo ????

shifter101

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hi I pretty much have all my parts now. The rest should be arriving today. I have seen the application guide on the arctic silver website but I just wanted to make sure that it was the best way to apply it. Is it right that you only need a very small thin line in the center of the heat spreader ??

heres the arctic silver guide is this the best way ???

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

thanks for any advice

Matt

I generally use the size of 2 grains of rice and then spread it thinly with a credit card or cling wrap covered finger. Many people find that this is the best method. After all the manufactures want to sell more AS5. (imo the method that manufacture tells use way too much paste.)

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I like doing the AS5's way since it you don't have to do so much work. ;)

I also have tried spreading it using a ruler, but I suppose I spread it too thinly because my temps were hot.

level101

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
There's really no need to spread it. I would apply it just like AS5 shows. As soon as you attach the heatsink to the cpu it will spread automatically.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I'm more an AMD guy, but on my chips if I used Arctic Silver, just a dab about the size of one grain of rice, and spread it evenly with my finger. This last build though I just used the stock heatsink/fan and the grease that came on the stock heatsink, runs nice and cool, not bad so far.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Rather than spreading it, I prefer to create a pattern similar to the #5 on a die, with the center dot having slightly more TIM than the outer ones. I generally go for just under a BB size on center, then squeeze just a bit out of the tube and touch the proc in the remaining places.

Example of pattern (incase im not clear, lol)

. .
. .