Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD FX-60 prices quoted by THG way off? what gives?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 5, 2007 5:31:11 AM

I have sold 4 fx-60's for around $350 each in the last week - i should be getting $500 according to THG. I guess ebay prices do not count even for new items? or is ebay that much lower? Well i bought them from a retailer so this info seems very wrong, THG says:

"However, the biggest change for AMD came with the one we've continuously said is the most volatile when it comes to pricing, and that's the (phased out) FX-60. It fell a considerable $126 from $678 to $552 this week. The FX-60 was the one that became the most overpriced, so this price decrease is critical for AMD."

I just wonder when u can get a FX-60 for less then $350 and this has been available for 2 weeks plus why THG says $552?

:evil: 

More about : amd prices quoted thg

February 5, 2007 6:02:09 AM

No in fact they dont look at E bay. They use pricegrabber.
February 5, 2007 6:28:07 AM

They don't count CPUs that were smuggled out of the back of an AMD truck. :lol: 
February 5, 2007 6:46:14 AM

Man, your margins must end up real tight selling on ebay, Yuk!

Isn't that just a place for getting ripped off or selling the the crap in your attic that nobody wants?
February 5, 2007 6:53:46 AM

Quote:
Isn't that just a place for getting ripped off or selling the the crap in your attic that nobody wants?


Nah, Ebay is a great place to sell your CPU when you've just OC'd it to 5GHz, overheated it so bad that the ends of the pins have charred, and then you find some dumb n00b to pay you $25 under MSRP for it! :lol: 
February 5, 2007 7:16:56 AM

Quote:
Nah, Ebay is a great place to sell your CPU when you've just OC'd it to 5GHz, overheated it so bad that the ends of the pins have charred, and then you find some dumb n00b to pay you $25 under MSRP for it! Laughing


Like I said a place for getting ripped off :!:
February 5, 2007 8:43:05 AM

Quote:
Nah, Ebay is a great place to sell your CPU when you've just OC'd it to 5GHz, overheated it so bad that the ends of the pins have charred, and then you find some dumb n00b to pay you $25 under MSRP for it! Laughing


Like I said a place for getting ripped off :!:

Not if you're a seller. Then you can make out like a bandit. Anyone who buys computer goodies on Ebay and doesn't insist on brand new, factory sealed, warranteed product deserves exactly what they get. Caveat Emptor.
February 5, 2007 10:05:36 AM

Quote:
hmmm


Hey, my ol' rap buddy... I'm sure a creative mind like yours can come up with something that rhymes better than just: hmmm... :lol: 

Something along the lines of

We go on Ebay, every day,
We sell our goods gray, CPUs without the tray,
It's a bandit's cafe, it's a ripoff man's buffet,
Take their money and betray, every n00b we'll slay,
Rip the pesos off Jose, fools by the ton we weigh,
Sell a box o' rocks as a RAID array, and the jerks just pay and pay,
Aint no room for dismay, the stupidity I can't convey,
Buyers' brains decay, when they type in: Ebay.

:lol: 
February 5, 2007 11:57:14 AM

Quote:
Man, your margins must end up real tight selling on ebay, Yuk!

Isn't that just a place for getting ripped off or selling the the crap in your attic that nobody wants?


Lol, I'd much sooner trust an established seller on eBay with a solid record of positive feedback than a no-name Internet "store" with no documented history, which is what you'd be dealing with half the time if you use Pricegrabber. I've been buying and selling stuff on eBay for many years and ever since I began sticking to the following two criteria for sellers I've never had an issue:

- Feedback record of 50+
- 98% or higher positive rating

When a seller sporting these criteria says his item is "brand new and unopened", you can take it to the bank. I'm convinced you'd be taking significantly less risk than by going to an unknown Internet store. And the prices are usually much better.

Cheers,
Axel
February 5, 2007 12:12:17 PM

Established ebay sellers dont guarantee anything. Just have a look at how many 5000+ are no longer registered with eBay.

The problem with Ebay is the total lack of accountability. You can't just give the seller a call when something goes wrong. You have to go through ebays stupid, laborious procedure.

I live in the UK and purchased some stuff from a guy in the States. The first couple of times was great, but when he sent me the wrong item it was a freakin nightmare. To this day I have never received the correct item or a refund.

I left him negative feedback because he failed to fulfill his obligation, so he replies with -ve feedback to me. He has a rank of 5000 so his -ve feedback disappears pretty quick, wheres mine is on 200 so the -ve feedback really shows up on my rating.

I am currently designing a website for a customer that sells lingerie on eBay, she spends 1800+ permonth on Ebay for sales of around 5000. Here costs used to be around 1000 per month, so she wants a seperate site to escape Ebays overpriced service.
February 5, 2007 12:23:01 PM

And in general I would buy from neither.
NewEgg all of the way.

Now, I must admit that I have bought a number of things off of E-Bay and never had an issue.

However, "New Factory Sealed Items" that are below volume discount prices given by the manufacturer?

Well, I always avoid the "Too Good To Be True" Stuff.
And "New In Box" means nothing.
It's not that hard to find a shrink wrap machine :>>

One of my fondest XMAS memories is when my Dad re-shrink wrapped a large box of "Whitman's Chocolates" for my sister, but only left 1-piece in the box. :lol: 


Quote:
Man, your margins must end up real tight selling on ebay, Yuk!

Isn't that just a place for getting ripped off or selling the the crap in your attic that nobody wants?


Lol, I'd much sooner trust an established seller on eBay with a solid record of positive feedback than a no-name Internet "store" with no documented history, which is what you'd be dealing with half the time if you use Pricegrabber. I've been buying and selling stuff on eBay for many years and ever since I began sticking to the following two criteria for sellers I've never had an issue:

- Feedback record of 50+
- 98% or higher positive rating

When a seller sporting these criteria says his item is "brand new and unopened", you can take it to the bank. I'm convinced you'd be taking significantly less risk than by going to an unknown Internet store. And the prices are usually much better.

Cheers,
Axel
February 5, 2007 12:27:53 PM

The prob is that lots of people buy stuff that is clearly marked as USED. Then they get exactly what they should: Junk. I agree that the feedback numbers can give some indication, but there are lots of ways to fake that too. I Paypal'd $50 to an Ebayer with 826 feedback, 100% positive on Dec. 20. Haven't received squat yet. The Paypal dispute expires in three days and I fully intend to go through with it!
February 5, 2007 1:00:02 PM

Quote:

The problem with Ebay is the total lack of accountability. You can't just give the seller a call when something goes wrong. You have to go through ebays stupid, laborious procedure.


My whole point is that a no-name Internet store is more likely to be a fake scam storefront than an eBay seller with the feedback criteria I listed. In other words, you buy something from this "store" that's scammed itself onto Pricegrabber, and you get NO product and the phone number they provide is fake. They're around for three weeks, make a few thousand bucks, and shut themselves down before any legal action ensues.

A good seller in any case should be available to discuss issues on the phone. I've sold a couple things on eBay that got damaged by UPS in transit and I happily spoke to the buyer on the phone to arrange a refund.

Regards,
Axel
February 5, 2007 1:04:06 PM

Ebay? Reputable?
February 5, 2007 1:06:31 PM

Quote:
However, "New Factory Sealed Items" that are below volume discount prices given by the manufacturer?

Well, I always avoid the "Too Good To Be True" Stuff.
And "New In Box" means nothing.


Well when you see a low starting price from an eBay seller with a good record, that usually means he's taking a calculated risk, especially if he hasn't set a reserve price. It's all about bidding psychology. A low price gets the bidding going quickly because people think they can get a steal. Sometimes it works out for the bidder, other people miss the auction and it ends with a low final price. But more often than not the bidding competition drives the price up to what the market will bear.

As for "Buy It Now" prices, these are usually at or slightly below the MSRP of a product.

Regards,
Axel
February 5, 2007 1:13:37 PM

Quote:
The prob is that lots of people buy stuff that is clearly marked as USED. Then they get exactly what they should: Junk. I agree that the feedback numbers can give some indication, but there are lots of ways to fake that too. I Paypal'd $50 to an Ebayer with 826 feedback, 100% positive on Dec. 20. Haven't received squat yet. The Paypal dispute expires in three days and I fully intend to go through with it!


If the eBay seller is reputable then the item should be as described, just like from Newegg or any other reputable seller. I don't see how eBay sellers are any different from other sellers, they're all human beings trying to do business. The feedback record is your guide to separating the wheat from the chaff, just like the Better Business Bureau does for on-line and brick & mortar stores. I'm not so sure there are "lots of ways" to fake the feedback record. The credit card number eBay requires to register and authenticates is a pretty good form of identification, difficult to fake.

As for your experience, that is pretty strange. Has the seller not emailed you back? Does he intend to refund your money?

Cheers,
Axel
February 5, 2007 1:37:18 PM

Quote:
And in general I would buy from neither.
NewEgg all of the way.


I agree in general. I bought everything for my new machine from Newegg, all $2000 of it. Here's one I would not have bought from lol:

UpgradeNation

Now check out its rating on Pricegrabber:

The Pricegrabber rating

Huge markup on the CPU, the store's been around for a couple months, and one feedback review on Pricegrabber that's negative? I smell a scam. :roll: Imagine having your credit card on file with these guys. Or even worse, your debit card with a direct link to your bank account. 8O

Cheers
February 5, 2007 2:45:20 PM

Um,

Where exactly are you getting your info?

Alexa shows a steady increase in traffice for that site over the last three years and there are entries in the web archive for it going back to 2002. It even had a yahoo top site ranking.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.upgradenation.com

They also have a toll free telephone number which generally means they are small enough to get hold of during normal working hours.

Remember one final truth about retail sales. On average a happy customer will tell maybe one person about their shopping experience whereas an unhappy customer will tell 8 people who each in turn will tell 4 people about their bad experience.

So you are far more likely to hear a bad review for a site than a good one.

Ebay sucks a$$ ( I did spell that correctly didn't I?)
February 5, 2007 2:58:46 PM

Quote:
Ebay sucks a$$ ( I did spell that correctly didn't I?)


Interesting opinion. I guess that must be the reason it's so unpopular and no one ever buys anything off it. Do you also believe these newfangled Core 2 Duo processors by Intel suck a$$. Since no one's buying them.
February 5, 2007 3:03:34 PM

Americans voted GW into office, they'll buy anything!
February 5, 2007 4:44:07 PM

Dudes this is not an ebay thread!

#1 they are brand new oem!

ok tiger has oem fx-60 for $310 with a mobo - i keep the mobo's throw them in pile and sell the "brand new sealed unopened" fx-60 for $350. So for all you evil speculators that this is an ebay scam go crawl back in your slime holes.

what i get a pile of mobos (i 'l use later to build low end systems) and about $10 bucks. YES they are brand new oem - just like dell buys! for all noobs dell does not open retail boxes and toss the coolers!

ok so if can buy these for $310 - obviously THG is using the wrong price info? well the cat's out the bag now - buy all the fx-60s you like.

i really like getting the x1950 pro's for $99 after i sell the chips & games! chk it out!
February 5, 2007 4:47:54 PM

Quote:
Um,

Where exactly are you getting your info?


Ebay sucks a$$ ( I did spell that correctly didn't I?)

this site has so many noobettes - try a google search - owe since thats too hard here:

Motherboard Bundles Socket 939 Athlon FX



MachSpeed MSNV-939 NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 2.60GHz OEM Processor

Item #: MBM-MSNV939-FX60 Be the first to review this product





Price: $319.99
Less Rebate: - $10.00



Final Price: $309.99
February 5, 2007 4:53:45 PM

As for ebay. Every piece of Consuber electronics in my home, save my HD TV, came used off the bay. 3 AV receivers, at least 14 sets of speakers and all other manner of gear has be ups'd to my back porch. Only had trouble with 2 sellers in almost 7 plus years of continual buying. Do I buy everything off ebay? No, I'll never buy puter parts off of there again, I got scammed into buying "fake" 74 gig Raptors, hope the guy rots in hell. But things I know about, like speakers and alike, I'll buy off the bay anytime.

Da Worfster
February 5, 2007 5:10:22 PM

Well, used PC parts I would not have an issue.
I bought an old Cisco router from there at a great price.

The issue with "PC" parts is that most retailers like "NewEgg" operate on a very narrow margin of a few % points on most products. As a result, to get a "super deal", then there is a good chance the products you are dealing with are coming from the gray market. The person doing the resellinig may not even realize this.

Now many other products have annual model swaps and at the end of the year they dump all of the older stuff at bargain prices which can then be picked up and resold as quality stuff at a fraction of the price. In addition, the markup on most items if massive and often well well over 100%. This leaves lots of leeway for e-bay resellers to make a profit and still cut you a deal.
February 5, 2007 5:17:42 PM

I was referring to this:

Quote:
Huge markup on the CPU, the store's been around for a couple months, and one feedback review on Pricegrabber that's negative? I smell a scam. Rolling Eyes Imagine having your credit card on file with these guys. Or even worse, your debit card with a direct link to your bank account. Shocked
February 5, 2007 8:38:36 PM

Quote:
I have sold 4 fx-60's for around $350 each in the last week - i should be getting $500 according to THG. I guess ebay prices do not count even for new items? or is ebay that much lower? Well i bought them from a retailer so this info seems very wrong, THG says:

"However, the biggest change for AMD came with the one we've continuously said is the most volatile when it comes to pricing, and that's the (phased out) FX-60. It fell a considerable $126 from $678 to $552 this week. The FX-60 was the one that became the most overpriced, so this price decrease is critical for AMD."

I just wonder when u can get a FX-60 for less then $350 and this has been available for 2 weeks plus why THG says $552?

:evil: 


The author of this article series has stated that he gets his pricing data from PriceGrabber. I wish that he would give us a more detailed explaination of his process. Does he use the lowest price? An average of the 10 lowest prices? I have never been able to replicate his pricing data with PriceGrabber. :( 
February 5, 2007 9:00:10 PM

These pieces being published on TH are beyond non-useful, they're blatantly wrong.

Take this past week's super high price jump of the Pentium D 820. According to this piece, I won't be able to buy it for less than double what it was last week, yet newegg, the simplest of all PC hardware stores, has it for $98. That's not an increase of 97% over last week, in fact, it's a decrease of 20% (assuming their 1/26/07 prices weren't wrong). We're talking about a difference of more than $140 on a processor that costs less than $100. It's just bad information.

Let's take the AMD X2 4400+. Last week's price of $292, this week's is $362. An increase of 24%. Holy carp, AMD's boosted their margins. No, newegg has the X2 4400+ for $186. That's a decrease of 36% not an increase of 24% (assuming the 1/26/07 prices).

More fucked up information:

FX-62 @ $644; newegg price $425.
X2 4800+ @ 292; newegg price $248.
The conroe prices are pretty accurate, maybe the most off is the E6400 @ 241; newegg $222.

Aside from the Pentium D 820, most of the price errors were in favor of Intel due to them being against AMD. More week's analysis would be necessary to determine if this is a pattern or simply a mistake, and since we can't go back in time, let's move forward...
February 5, 2007 9:52:21 PM

Also this is one of the very few major articles/features/series in THG that never has a link to a discussion forum. It appears that the author is not interested in fostering an open discussion. :( 
February 6, 2007 6:58:58 AM

Quote:

If the eBay seller is reputable then the item should be as described, just like from Newegg or any other reputable seller. I don't see how eBay sellers are any different from other sellers, they're all human beings trying to do business. The feedback record is your guide to separating the wheat from the chaff, just like the Better Business Bureau does for on-line and brick & mortar stores. I'm not so sure there are "lots of ways" to fake the feedback record. The credit card number eBay requires to register and authenticates is a pretty good form of identification, difficult to fake.
As for your experience, that is pretty strange. Has the seller not emailed you back? Does he intend to refund your money?


Oh yeah, the seller has emailed me three times, each time backpedaling so fast that you could hear the pedals squeak. The latest email was four days ago when he asked for my phone number but of course never called. The Paypal dispute expires in two days and unless I get my package at my door with a big red bow on it by then, Paypal owes me my money back.

As for faking the Ebay feedback, it's way easier than you might think. There are lots of countries that you can register for Ebay without a credit card or any form of ID. Once registered there, you can post feedback on anyone's account. These scammers create a few hundred accounts and then sell themselves $1 goods and give themselves sparkling feedback.
February 6, 2007 10:25:45 AM

Quote:

Oh yeah, the seller has emailed me three times, each time backpedaling so fast that you could hear the pedals squeak. The latest email was four days ago when he asked for my phone number but of course never called. The Paypal dispute expires in two days and unless I get my package at my door with a big red bow on it by then, Paypal owes me my money back.

As for faking the Ebay feedback, it's way easier than you might think. There are lots of countries that you can register for Ebay without a credit card or any form of ID. Once registered there, you can post feedback on anyone's account. These scammers create a few hundred accounts and then sell themselves $1 goods and give themselves sparkling feedback.

That's why you check and see what they've been selling. If guy's offering me the deal of the century on a Yamaha receiver and all he's hever sold is baseball cards for a buck, then I'm not buying. Common sense, use it if you have itl.

Da Worfster
February 6, 2007 6:00:35 PM

Quote:

That's why you check and see what they've been selling. If guy's offering me the deal of the century on a Yamaha receiver and all he's hever sold is baseball cards for a buck, then I'm not buying. Common sense, use it if you have itl.


Yer absolutely right, Worf. Fortunately Paypal sides with the buyer 99.9% of the time (and discriminates against the seller on those occasions when the seller is right) so I'm gonna get my money back soon enough. Still, I would certainly hesitate to buy anything on Ebay that cost more than a couple of hundred bucks. This was was $50, so it wasn't too bad.
February 6, 2007 8:23:01 PM

Quote:

That's why you check and see what they've been selling. If guy's offering me the deal of the century on a Yamaha receiver and all he's hever sold is baseball cards for a buck, then I'm not buying. Common sense, use it if you have itl.


Yer absolutely right, Worf. Fortunately Paypal sides with the buyer 99.9% of the time (and discriminates against the seller on those occasions when the seller is right) so I'm gonna get my money back soon enough. Still, I would certainly hesitate to buy anything on Ebay that cost more than a couple of hundred bucks. This was was $50, so it wasn't too bad.

Feedback is extremely important to review. I have bought some big ticket items from ebay and had extremly good service from reputable vendors who sell the same things all the time. When you get sombody with 100's of baseball cards sold and then lists a big ticket item the term COD comes to mind and I have used that on occasion. Never buy electronics without feedback in electronics many of the great deals are damaged or inoperable goods.
February 6, 2007 9:52:37 PM

Quote:
Ebay? Reputable?


I think that falls under the samw wikipedia entry as: Clinton, Truthful
February 6, 2007 10:43:28 PM

Yea, thats right above: Bush, Rhodes scholar

Now back to the off topic. Been shopping on eBay for years and have never had a problem. Love the NewEgg customer service, always check there before any other place.
February 6, 2007 10:54:50 PM

Quote:
Not if you're a seller. Then you can make out like a bandit. Anyone who buys computer goodies on Ebay and doesn't insist on brand new, factory sealed, warranteed product deserves exactly what they get. Caveat Emptor.


sometimes u can get a good deal, got my E6600 of ebay for £140 delivered when the retail price was still £220 :roll: . oh and it was brand new :wink:
February 6, 2007 11:24:28 PM

Quote:
And "New In Box" means nothing.
It's not that hard to find a shrink wrap machine :>>



I love it when they say "new in shrink wrap" for things that never even came in shrink wrap when they were new...

But as far as ebay goes... every time I try to buy something for a "bargain" on ebay the bidding goes up higher than the new retail value of the product. I've sold things a few times but I have no feedback so I end up making only a few dollars for my trouble...
February 7, 2007 4:57:14 AM

Every single major country has some NewEgg-type of reliable and extremely competitive mail-order seller of computer goodies. Given that the savings on truly new, untouched electronics on Ebay are largely negligible, that's where I'm sticking for my major purchases.
February 7, 2007 10:25:26 PM

new egg is not aways the cheapest - i build systems and new egg is more on many items but when you factor in their cheap shipping in most cases it pays to get it all from new egg.

new mobos are always over prices striker extreme $425 - many places $350
the psu's over priced, silverstone 750 $175 east luna $137

lights and fans used to be really high they have reduced them.

monitors usually can be found on special elsewhere 22" samsung $399 was $350 on special recently.

i will say i have gotten many recycled mobos sold as new - they have marks on the bios chips. i have got quite few recycled hard drives too. You got watch the egg!
February 7, 2007 11:03:28 PM

Quote:

That's why you check and see what they've been selling. If guy's offering me the deal of the century on a Yamaha receiver and all he's hever sold is baseball cards for a buck, then I'm not buying. Common sense, use it if you have itl.

Da Worfster

I have not been able to view a sellers sales history to see what he has historically sold. How do you do this?
!