Priority List for Custom Builds

TotalNoob

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
When it comes to DIY builds, less savvy folks (like myself) end up having a lot of questions about how to go about designing and building a system. Before settling on my new system, I spent three months reading forum posts and tech reviews on all of the various aspects of the PC. While I actually enjoyed learning this stuff, I understand that many people don't have the time or possibly the patience to do that amount of research. So I thought it might be a good idea to gather a list of priorities concerning a custom built PC.

Basically, here's the question; What are the three most important specs for each of the following general components? In other words, what kinds of things should a buyer/builder pay most attention to when choosing these components for their custom build?

Please copy and paste the following with your recommendations (and reasons, if you like).

TOP PRIORITIES WHEN CHOOSING PC COMPONENTS
CASE:

PSU:

MOTHERBOARD:

CPU:

MEMORY:

GPU:

HARD DISK DRIVE:

OPTICAL DRIVE:

MONITOR:

I realize there are more components to a PC than what I've listed here but I think these are the bread and butter of a working system. Please feel free to suggest adds/changes to the list itself.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
What is the planned budget? What are the planned uses? You need plain jane or lots of bling. Each compotent leads to a list of other things that go with it. You should think in this sort of order( roughly) CPU, MB,GPU, PSU, RAM, HDD, DVD/CD, Case, Monitor, extras. Some things are added depending on your choices. Faster/hotter CPU will tell you stock/custom cooler or water cooling. MB might limit to half the other choices. WE can talk.

TotalNoob

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Perhaps my idea isn't explained clearly or perhaps it just doesn't work. What I'm looking for are general priorities across the board.

For example:

CASE:
1 Size - your case needs to be physically big enough to house your components (but preferably only as big as it needs to be)
2 Cooling - your new components need to be happy in their new home
3 Accessibility - ease of access to component housing modules will make your build experience much more enjoyable

PSU
1 Actual Wattage - your psu needs to provide sufficient wattage at 50c to run your components (wattage at 50c will be less than the wattage rating of your psu so read the fine print from the manufacturer)
2 Connectors - your psu needs to provide enough connectors of the correct type to power all of your components
3 Size - your psu needs to fit properly inside your case

... and so on.

The idea is to provide buyers/builders with a guide to selecting quality components that fit their individual needs. Whether it be for a run-of-the-mill system or an enthusiast system, the key elements of each component will remain the same. For example, with the PSU, I think the top priority is actual wattage at 50c. Whether you're looking at a basic 450W or a monster 1000W, the basic need is the same: the psu needs to provide the wattage that you need while running at around 50c. It's not about specific numbers. It's about which characteristics are most important.

Any thoughts?

pinkcaddy

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
...I understand that many people don't have the time or possibly the patience to do that amount of research.

My $.02 is that if people don't have the time or the patience, then perhaps they are building a PC for the wrong reasons. I agree that sometimes it can save you money, but I look at this more of a hobby than "I need a new pc, so I'll build one". If I was to go out and build an automobile rather than just purchase one that is assembled, I'd have to do a ton of research to understand what parts I need, how to assemble them, and what parts are quality and what parts aren't. Point being, reasearch (reading articles, forums, and product reviews) is needed to build a good PC and make it work the way you want.

As for you question, I find it difficult to summarize my last 4 months of research into a one-size fits all guide for designing and building a PC. THG has a guide (in three parts) that accomplishes this.

Part 1 - http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/20/how_to_build_part_1/
Part 2 - http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/04/choosing-the-right-vender/
Part 3 - http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/14/how-to-build-a-pc-part-3/

As far as priorities, each person's priorites are going to be different from the next. Characteristics, on the other hand, seem to be more of what you're after. Part 1 of the articles above go into that. Pilch's PSU guide (as well as other forum stickies) takes this another step further. Another person above mentioned about the overall use of the system - I couldn't agree more. That may very will change the characteristics or needs of a certain component. As far as quality/grade, that will be a function of a person's budget and what fits within that person's priorities and where they are able to make compromises.

In all, I've found this all to be such an inexact science. For me, I find that research is the number one tool when building a PC. While I understand where you are going with this, evolving technology, brand-bias, individual needs and wants, and budget constraints all make it difficult to accomplish the task you want to accomplish.