Help rejuvenate an old system!

GreenfeetNick

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I have an old Dell Dimension XPS T series desktop that I wanted to update without changing the motherboard. The manual says it has an AGP slot and 3 PCI slots. The system came with an AGP video card, but does anyone know if I could throw a video card in one of the PCI slots? If not, what would be the best Video card to get that is supported in an old 4x AGP slot?

Thanks,
Nick

agentsmith957

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
First off, I believe XPS T series come with an AGP 8x/4x slot, not just a 4x slot. Secondly I think you are getting confused about the difference between PCI-Express and PCI. PCI-express is the new high bandwidth interconnect for expansion cards, PCI has been around for much longer. For a video card, you would optimally want a PCI express, but your motherboard doesnt have that. The next best thing is AGP, not regular old PCI. Therefore, your best bet is to get a new generation AGP card. If price is not an option I would recommend a 512MB X1950PRO, such as this card on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103024

If you need to conserve a little more than that, I think the best bang for your buck would be the 256MB X1650XT, such as this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161064

Please make sure im correct about you having a 8x/4x slot.

GreenfeetNick

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Sorry, akhilles. I wasn't sure what information would be needed. I installed and ran the program and it says the following:

Mainboard : Intel SE440BX-3
Chipset : Intel i440BX/ZX
Processor : Intel Pentium III E @ 600 MHz
Physical Memory : 384 MB (3 x 128 SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce2 MX/MX 400 [NV11]
Hard Disk : WDC (20 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (20 GB)
CD-Rom Drive : SONY CD-RW CRX225E
DVD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608
Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL M990 - 18 inchs
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

I hope this helps and that you can give me some more info.

Also, agentsmith957 , I was under the impression that I had a 2x/4x AGP slot not a 4x/8x, but I could easily be wrong. The price is a slight factor, because I don't want to spend a ton to upgrade this system just to make it able to use modern games for my kids as I am getting a new system for myself.

Thanks,
Nick

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Mainboard : Intel SE440BX-3
Chipset : Intel i440BX/ZX
Processor : Intel Pentium III E @ 600 MHz
I was under the impression that I had a 2x/4x AGP slot not a 4x/8x, but I could easily be wrong. The price is a slight factor, because I don't want to spend a ton to upgrade this system just to make it able to use modern games for my kids as I am getting a new system for myself.

Thats an old system, and yes you do not have AGP 4x/8x, only AGP 1x/2x in which no modern card can be installed. Anyway the CPU is to slow to use a faster graphics card. If you want to upgrade, then get more used 100MHz SD-RAM (not 133MHz), but really its not worth speding any money on that system. The whole system is worth 20$ max. Use it for web browsing (but don't install IE7, which needs a faster system).

akhilles

Splendid
I concur. Just give it to your kids or make it the internet home pc.

If you want, you could look up ebay or used pc parts stores for 2nd-hand parts that work with the pc. Print out the specs in pc wizard. Perhaps, 512mb if there's empty slots & a radeon 7200/8500 or geforce 3 or 4 agp 2x video card. They may cost more than new parts.

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
Yeah, Akhilles, old parts cost more on Ebay than newer parts because a lot of IT consultants and IT managers use older socket processors on their servers and old databases.

What ends up happening is people that don't want to reconstruct their IT system from the ground up would rather stick with Pentium 3 hardware and old IDE hard drives and SDRAM since file sharing for documents on Windows 9x OS doesn't require incredibly powerful parts.

The best thing you can do with that rig is maybe throw a 40 gig hard-drive in it and use it as a server or torrent box.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
What is it that you want to do with this old dell anyway? Sounds like it is already good enough to run XP. Is there a certain application you want it to perform better in?

If you really want to do some sort of upgrade on this rig, the biggest performance increase you can get would be to install a newer hard drive. The original drive in the Dell is likely around 20 to 30GB, and spins at 5400 rpm, with only a paltry 512kb or, at most, 1MB or cache. An upgrade a more modern 7200 rpm, 2MB or 8MB cache, 40-80GB hard drive would not only make your system much quicker, it would also make it a lot quieter. I recommend one of seatage's Baracuda IV or later hard drives for their reliability and excellent acoustics, but really even a Maxtor or Western Digital will do, the Seagates just happen to be single platter, producing less heat and consuming less power. More than 80GB could be problematic with that old Dell bios, so I would stick to 40-80 GB sizes to stay on the safe side.

If you want better gaming ability, you can go all the way up to a Radeon 9800 Pro, as many are dual keyed for 2x and 4x/8x. They cost around $50-$60 on ebay. This is the best card you could ever get for that system. A bit more practical though would be to pick up an old Geforce3 Ti200 off ebay. You shouldn't pay more than $15 for it, including shipping, which makes it a hell of a deal. It is a strong DirectX 8 gaming card, and should be low enough in power consumption to not put too much of a burden on your old PSU, which is one of the proprietary designed units (I have an XPS R450, which used the same case, psu, and mobo as your T600). With the radeon 9800 pro, you would have to install a stronger power supply, which would mean big bucks having to buy one of PC power and Cooling's Dell upgrade power supplies. Besides, between the two, your old PIII 600 would bottleneck both of them, meaning the 9800 is a waste of money over the Ti200.

If you want more CPU performance, you're at the point where it becomes cheaper to buy a slocket and install a Taulatin Celeron. No guarantee that it will work though. A Coppermine Celeron at 1000-1100 MHz would be a safer bet, and they're pretty cheap and should outperform the 600E with shear clock speed. A slocket and a Celeron will set you back around $25$30 for the two on ebay.

So, $25-$30 for cpu upgrade, $15 for Graphics Card, and $25-$55 for the Hard drive = $65 to $100 to completely upgrade your computer. Not terrible, but then again, that's a lot of money to sink into a machine only worth half that.

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
More than 80GB could be problematic with that old Dell bios, so I would stick to 40-80 GB sizes to stay on the safe side.
127GB is maximum for that generation of PC's, due to limitations in both BIOS and the ATA controller in the 440BX chipset. So a 120GB harddisk is ok. If he lacks harddisk space it might be worth it.
The biggest performance limiter for his system in general office use is too little RAM, and that is one thing that is relativly easy to upgrade.

If the OP is thinking about gaming, he can follow your good suggestions on a used graphics card, but the CPU will really limit him anyway - so why bother. Yes, he can upgrade the CPU with an adapter, but good luck in getting it to work - again its not really worth all the trouble.