john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Windows help suggests putting the Page file onto the fastest drive or the one
that has less use, which in my case is my D drive with 17GB free space.

I have created a Page file on D and set it to Windows recommended limits,
what I need to know is how to remove the Page file from the C drive and
ensure that the system sees the Page file on D.

Can someone advise me?

TIA

John

Others have given you instructions. Understand, this is only recommended if
you have a second hard drive. In other words, there is only a benefit by
placing the pagefile on a separate hard drive as opposed to placing it on a
separate partition on the same drive.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> Windows help suggests putting the Page file onto the fastest drive or the
> one
> that has less use, which in my case is my D drive with 17GB free space.
>
> I have created a Page file on D and set it to Windows recommended limits,
> what I need to know is how to remove the Page file from the C drive and
> ensure that the system sees the Page file on D.
>
> Can someone advise me?
>
> TIA
>
> John

If the D: drive is on a different controller, as would be the case with a
SATA drive or a different IDE connector, then you might see some gain. The
advantage is only gained if you can achieve asychronious reading and
writing.

> Windows help suggests putting the Page file onto the fastest drive or the
> one
> that has less use, which in my case is my D drive with 17GB free space.
>
> I have created a Page file on D and set it to Windows recommended limits,
> what I need to know is how to remove the Page file from the C drive and
> ensure that the system sees the Page file on D.
>
> Can someone advise me?
>
> TIA
>
> John

I have to remember to add that to my response in the future!:)

--

In news:%234obBifGFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:

> If the D: drive is on a different controller, as would be the
> case
> with a SATA drive or a different IDE connector, then you might
> see
> some gain. The advantage is only gained if you can achieve
> asychronious reading and writing.

There's also a gain, or least a potential gain, by putting it a
physical drive that's less used than C:. That's because by doing
so you can reduce or eliminate the head movement to and from the
page file.

But in these days of very cheap RAM, most computers have enough
RAM so that the page file is seldom used at all. If that's the
case, it hardly matters where it's located.

Please reply to the newsgroup

John wrote:
> Windows help suggests putting the Page file onto the fastest drive or the one
> that has less use, which in my case is my D drive with 17GB free space.
>
> I have created a Page file on D and set it to Windows recommended limits,
> what I need to know is how to remove the Page file from the C drive and
> ensure that the system sees the Page file on D.
>
> Can someone advise me?
>
> TIA
>
> John
Here's a link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314105

Straight from the MS knowledge base

Moving the Paging File
1. In Control Panel, double-click System.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Click Settings under Performance.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Change under Virtual Memory.
5. Select the new drive that you want to use to store the paging file.
6. Set Initial Size (MB) and Maximum size. For the initial size,
Microsoft recommends that you use the recommended value in the Total
Page File Size for All Drives box.
7. Click Set, and then click OK twice.
8. Click Restart Now.
Note that if you move the paging file from the system partition, Windows
cannot write debug information to the disk if a Stop error occurs.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:51:03 -0800, John wrote:

> Windows help suggests putting the Page file onto the fastest drive or the one
> that has less use, which in my case is my D drive with 17GB free space.
>
> I have created a Page file on D and set it to Windows recommended limits,
> what I need to know is how to remove the Page file from the C drive and
> ensure that the system sees the Page file on D.
>
> Can someone advise me?
>
> TIA
>
> John

If you're bored and want something to do and if D is a second drive (not a
second partition on the same drive), go for it. Depending on what programs
you run, you might see a slight improvement in performance. More likely,
you will not notice any difference.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Ditto

Just how did you create the Page File on D: and set the
limits as recommended? I ask because the only way to do
this is to use the application (right click My Computer,
select Properties, Advanced, Performance, Advanced and if
you did that you'd have seen the answer to your question.

"MGGP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:103a01c51a24$d481ac20$a601280a@phx.gbl...