Corsair's PC10000 Super-Ober-Uber-RAM Sets Sails

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Corsair
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
February 5, 2007 9:52:16 AM

What's better than fast memory? Right, even faster memory! Corsair's latest toys run 1,250 MHz to satisfy the performance hunger of the most demanding enthusiasts - if you can fork out the $600.

More about : corsair pc10000 super ober uber ram sets sails

February 5, 2007 11:37:24 AM

You tested more processor power in comparison to faster, bleeding edge memory. What happens to the benchmarks if you take the $600 premium on the fastest memory money can buy and instead buy 4GB of DDR800? That might be just as enlightening as the test run for a processor bump, and would be the cheapest solution of all.
February 5, 2007 11:58:09 AM

I have to disagree with the conclusion a bit. What IF you want to run the memory at 1:1 with the FSB, and reduce the timings as much as possible ? Since I don't currently own a C2D system, I have no experience here, but in my mind, this would produce the best overall system speed. Granted, it's not going to be a huge perceivable difference . . .
Related resources
February 5, 2007 2:13:09 PM

Two different processors??

The whole review is invalid...
February 5, 2007 3:10:18 PM

Quote:
Two different processors??

The whole review is invalid...

The two processors was to show performance differences between a memory upgrade and a CPU upgrade. This review would have been more useful if it included more memory options, like CAS 3 offerings, but it made a very good point of showing that simply increasing the mem speed has no real impact on performance, especially for the price that you have to pay to get an extra 100 Mhz out of your RAM.
February 5, 2007 3:12:08 PM

Quote:

If you've checked out the benchmark section you will now know that the new PC10000 Corsair Dominator memory indeed dominates most of the benchmark results. It is clearly faster than the DDR2-800 memory and it outperforms the DDR2-1066 setup as well. The benefit over our DDR2-1066 setup is little, as the latter can operate at quicker memory parameters (see test setup). One might criticize that we didn't compare the three performance grades 800/1066/1250 at the same timing settings, but we don't believe that any enthusiast would want to operate her or his RAM at slower parameters than necessary.

Was this conclusion written on a totally different article?
Where is this so called "domination"?
February 5, 2007 3:57:08 PM

I didn't see anything in the review that really showed an increase in performance. What's the point of paying twice as much for 1250 MHz RAM when the speed difference is negligible, at best?
February 5, 2007 4:49:41 PM

This has convinced me to buy a better processor before I buy faster memory. 1 second less or .5 fps more doesn't really seem to shine when you think about $600.00 down the tube.
-cm
February 5, 2007 5:04:15 PM

Umm.. I was speaking hypothetically. I'm too poor to buy a new computer. I did, however, just double the amount of RAM in my laptop to 512 though, which is a nice jump for 45$. :p 
-cm
February 5, 2007 5:24:32 PM

See, you're kind of negating your own points. WHY buy a $400 water cooling setup, when you can spend that $400 on a better CPU, and use air to get much beter speeds, hell you dont even need to spend $400, you only need to spend about another $100-$200. Also, if you decide not to OC, you still have a much better CPU.

There is a reason for OCing, but spending that money otherwise saved, on a $400 water cooling kit, does NOT makes sense.
February 5, 2007 5:25:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

If you've checked out the benchmark section you will now know that the new PC10000 Corsair Dominator memory indeed dominates most of the benchmark results. It is clearly faster than the DDR2-800 memory and it outperforms the DDR2-1066 setup as well. The benefit over our DDR2-1066 setup is little, as the latter can operate at quicker memory parameters (see test setup). One might criticize that we didn't compare the three performance grades 800/1066/1250 at the same timing settings, but we don't believe that any enthusiast would want to operate her or his RAM at slower parameters than necessary.

yeah, to my eyes, the Dominator got ROCKED by the DD2-800, in almost every benchmark. they were probably paid to put that statement in by corsair
February 5, 2007 5:40:25 PM

This purely for luxury, as we can see the benchmark don't have a great advantage over 800Mhz module. My 533Mhz are still rocking. But I'd sure get this 1250's if I got some $600 to spare. No doubt the best for overclocking.
February 5, 2007 6:35:10 PM

Not at Radioshack, where they let you try the RAM before you buy it. I always shop local if I can.
-cm
February 5, 2007 7:21:55 PM

As stated there are a few good choices of ram modules that will perform at or in excess of the dominator series rated speeds and can be obtained at a fraction of the cost.
Here's the real kicker.
Corsair guarantees this speed rating at the recommended voltage to maintain this level of performance.
I myself would consider this for that reason alone but not at $600.00.
Even the guarantee will not assure you that these modules wont spent a little time in the RMA routes with down time to consider.
Time will tell and the overclocking community is watching. 8)
February 5, 2007 9:14:02 PM

Quote:
yeah, but there's some ocz ram that can run above 1300mhz with the same timings for roughly $200 less, I'd get a better cpu or water cooler for the difference between the two ram (also the ocz has a build in water block)

I'll toss in my 2 cents worth here. I had some Corsair PC3500 pro ram. It failed. Corsair said it was out of production so they replaced it with PC3200 pro. It failed. I replaced that with some OCZ and it works. Right now, I have some serious doubts about Corsair. Maybe I just got unlucky and had two consecutive sets of bad ram, but I wonder if they have some problem going on with their quality control. Even if I was building a new computer and I had $600. to blow on ram, I'd be looking for something else.
February 5, 2007 10:30:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:

yeah, to my eyes, the Dominator got ROCKED by the DD2-800, in almost every benchmark. they were probably paid to put that statement in by corsair

Honestly - the conclusion didn't seem to actually have any bearing the the benchmarks.

Why would i pay $400 extra for less performance, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What an odd review.
February 6, 2007 1:52:12 AM

It is just another crap revew by Toms hardware...

Its conculsion is inconclusive... Its expensive but maybe its worth it who knows??

Each page has more adds than actual text (as per usual)

Results are displayed as graphs but he hardly talks about the results. He could at least explain why some times its faster and why sometimes it not.

As for the RAM, its good stuff, with a "life time waranty"
February 6, 2007 4:53:16 AM

Quote:

Let me give you an example of what Corsair's "lifetime warrenty" means. A quote from Corsair concerning some ram I bought from them. "Dear Customer, We have received your return, however the part you returned is now obsolete and we do not have a direct or upgrade replacement available." In other words, the very expensive PC3500LL Pro ram that I bought was obsolete within 6 months and what they sent me to fulfill the "lifetime warrenty" was some PC3200C2 Pro, which is cheaper and not as capable of overclocking as what I originally bought.

Oh, by the way, it also failed with my motherboard, while the cheap OCZ stuff that replaced it works fine, and allows a higher overclock than the Corsair ever did.
February 6, 2007 8:52:20 PM

Quote:
Well, now the xms no longer means extreme memory speed, it means extremelysuckky memorymadeof sh$t, but a lot of people under look ocz because the price is cheap, and something I have learned is that price means nothing, it just means whether the company is being fair to you or being an a$$ and selling very expensive sh$t

Thats funny, the XMS ram in my system can, and HAS done 4-4-4-12 at nearly 1000 MHZ DDR (its rated at 5-5-5-18 800MHZ). Whats funnier still, is I only payed $179 usd for it several months ago before they started jacking up prices across the board. *shrug*

Personally, I'm a Crucial fan, but bought this instead, because of the lower cost, and the fact that Crucial is usually behind the rest in cutting edge. HOWEVER Micron OWNS Crucial(or vice versa), so . . .

Anyhow, only bad dimm I've ever seen go bad, that was Crucial, was replaced inside of two weeks, by Crucial its self, no questions asked, and was upgraded (since the part I bought no longer existed). This replacement is still happily running to this day, a Year and a half later(Crucial Ballistix 3200 2-2-2-6, 2x 512MB sticks). The whole RMA process was a Pleasure, although I did have to call them a week after sending the memory out, to which their reply was, having the replacement back to me 3 days later.

I've yet to deal with Corsair, and to be honest, this is my first memory from them, but so far, its been a pleasant experience.
February 6, 2007 9:00:58 PM

Quote:
It is just another crap revew by Toms hardware...

Its conculsion is inconclusive... Its expensive but maybe its worth it who knows??

Each page has more adds than actual text (as per usual)

Results are displayed as graphs but he hardly talks about the results. He could at least explain why some times its faster and why sometimes it not.

Without this so called 'crap review', you would have no idea of how the RAM actually performed (and yes I mean ALL reviews). THW is just like any other reviewer out there, that companies like Corsair, etc send parts to (for free), in trade for a review. If you don't like it it, fine, don't buy it, I know I wont, but you also wont see me running around pointing fingers, calling the reviewers names as such, making myself look like a five year old in the process.
February 6, 2007 9:04:24 PM

Quote:
Trust me, I think I have dealt with more memory than you have, and would know that corsair now uses promos IC that can't do 900mhz cas4

Now crucial is one of the best brands around because micron owns them and puts nice IC in them that can do far better speeds and timings than promos or elpida

You have have you ? Tell me, how long have you been working on computers systems ? DO you OWN your own computer shop that typically gets 5-10 + PCs in a week ? You have no idea of how much memory I've had pass through my hands . . .
February 6, 2007 9:21:19 PM

Quote:
Trust me, I think I have dealt with more memory than you have, and would know that corsair now uses promos IC that can't do 900mhz cas4

Now crucial is one of the best brands around because micron owns them and puts nice IC in them that can do far better speeds and timings than promos or elpida

You have have you ? Tell me, how long have you been working on computers systems ? DO you OWN your own computer shop that typically gets 5-10 + PCs in a week ? You have no idea of how much memory I've had pass through my hands . . .
well at least understand how memory works in terms of overclocking and what types of IC's offer the best performance, because apparantly you didn't know that, or just thought corsair used better IC's than promos

A brand of memory that OC's less than another, does NOT make the lesser over clockable brand Inferior. It may make that brand less attractive to someone who does over clock, especially if its priced far higher than the other. YOU need to get that straight.

As for you comment about my over clocking knowledge, guy, I've been over clocking since 1993. Where you born yet ? lol ;) 

However, building systems for the general public, and working on business systems, most of these people need a reliable system, that will run for months on end, and last for 3 + years.

Anyhow, for someone who seems to think he knows a lot about over clocking, you don't seem to be mentioning actual memory chip numbers, such as Micron D9 etc . . .

As a matter of a fact, you know what, just making an assumption, based on how long you've been on this forums, and your post count, I'm going to dismiss anything else you say, and treat you as a troll. Have a nice day.
February 6, 2007 10:13:21 PM

Quote:
Without this so called 'crap review', you would have no idea of how the RAM actually performed (and yes I mean ALL reviews). THW is just like any other reviewer out there, that companies like Corsair, etc send parts to (for free), in trade for a review. If you don't like it it, fine, don't buy it, I know I wont, but you also wont see me running around pointing fingers, calling the reviewers names as such, making myself look like a five year old in the process.

Errrm I didnt call the reviewer any name did I???? YES I'm saying the review is "crap" and there are other reviews out there that are much better and more informative. Im not saying the product is "crap" Infact I have a pair of 8888s in my system.

Yes I do know my memory (and I dont have to own a PC shop) LOL like you have to work in a PC shop to know your memory! LOL

Maybe you should learn to read some better reviews some time.
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2916&p=6
This is a good example of a review that is informative and has a proper conclusion. And I hope one day Tom can pull off a review that is worthwhile reading.

"have a nice day troll" LOL
February 6, 2007 11:27:02 PM

I agree, where's the Domination? I think these reviewers got some kick backs from Corsair for giving their new memory a great review. Either that or these guys were smoking something when they wrote this article.

If you look at the numbers presented here this memory rarely beats the other configurations, and then only by a very small number.

In my estimation this is not worth the extra $$.

Try again Mr. Schmid and Roos.
February 7, 2007 12:23:07 AM

I don't know of any memory thats worth ~$600 usd(at least, in this class, enthusiast desktop memory), and the kickbacks you're talking about is, they most likely get to keep the memory they review.

Really though, I don't know what the big debate is, Anandtech already reviewed this memory several days ago, and even they said, that the Dominator 8888 memory is better, still not worth MY money though.

IF you MUST have the 3 40mm Corsair fan, you would be better served by buying <insert brand / model number here> memory, and pay an extra $20 usd for the Dominator fan, problem solved :)  That being said, I'm perfectly happy with my PC6400 XMS memory, and would be equally happy with any brand / model memory that would overclock as well, while under volted, and remain stable for months on end (read: Crucial, and MAYBE OCZ, although Crucial memory from experience, doesn't normally like to be under volted).
February 7, 2007 1:24:44 AM

Some people are concerned with the performance of the dominator 10000 series running at 1250 Stable for 24/7 operation.
This might be worth the price for just that reason but as I stated above I'll keep my eye on it for awhile.
I don’t think you'll need the fan as the article stated from THG unless you’re pushing it beyond 1200 or if your case has poor ventilation.
In your case your happy with the XMS 6400 set and should be.
Just remember that what’s good for you might not be adequate for others.
Look at the whole picture even though the price is out of reach to many it is the advancement in memory performance that is so attractive to the rest of us. 8)

@ wun911 Thanks for the link :wink:
February 7, 2007 1:47:19 AM

Quote:
Some people are concerned with the performance of the dominator 10000 series running at 1250 Stable for 24/7 operation.
This might be worth the price for just that reason but as I stated above I'll keep my eye on it for awhile.
I don’t think you'll need the fan as the article stated from THG unless you’re pushing it beyond 1200 or if your case has poor ventilation.
In your case your happy with the XMS 6400 set and should be.
Just remember that what’s good for you might not be adequate for others.
Look at the whole picture even though the price is out of reach to many it is the advancement in memory performance that is so attractive to the rest of us. 8)

@ wun911 Thanks for the link :wink:

Well, my sticks are XMS6405v5.1 - 0630291-3's, so most likely ProMos, but when I move to C2D, they will run 1:1 fine I think, that is all that matters to me. I cant see spending 2x more for memory, when all I want / need is a decent OC, with 1:1 memory ratios. No, they aren't D9xx chips, but then again, I only payed $179usd also, this current motherboard is shyte, locks the vdimm @ 1.8v (which is .1 under the memories spec), and still gave me over 1000MHZ at 4-4-4-12 vs 800MHZ, 5-5-5-12 (thought they were 5-5-5-18, but I was wrong).

No, I wont hit 4 GHZ with a C2D, but I don't NEED it either. Performing on par with a E6800, and paying several hundred dollars less (on air), will be more than fine for me :) 
February 7, 2007 1:59:54 AM

Your right . :wink:
It’s not just about those IC’s
Some people focus too much on detail and forget to enjoy the competitor’s budget product.
The other IC manufactures want to be winners too and their chips end up in quality name brand modules.
Now if you’re totally Enthusiast and just have to have the best then why not demand only the best. 8)
February 7, 2007 7:31:48 PM

Quote:
There are ram kits out for half the price that offer about the same performance, such as this $300 G.Skill kit, it uses d9gkx IC, and people have gotten them to cas3 1000mhz with reasonable voltage like you could on the xms 6400c3 (not dominator) with d9gkx ICs, all the dominator's now use d9mgh, which isn't as good, but not bad either if highly binned
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Not very well known ram due to corsair covering up G.Skill by releasing their dominator series with insane prices, the dominator hs should add to the cost something like $5, not make their 1066 ram with basic timings a hell of a lot more than regular 1066 ram

Love Tacos
You seem to know about RAM. What do you think of the 1024-6400C4 ? I just need a 400-450 fsb.
February 7, 2007 8:12:13 PM

Quote:
for 400fsb, then I can see it running smoothly, but for 450fsb, you'll have to slack the timings to most likely 5-5-5-18 to achieve it with only 2.1 or 2.2 volts, and you'd have to probably feed it around 2.25 to get it stable, but I can see it possible

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid anything cheaper is too cheap. Happy I returned my super-cheap DD2 800 with the 6400C4. That was G-Skull ran like DD2 667 and can only get up to 350 Mhz with CL 6 & 2.3 volts. OUCH!
February 7, 2007 8:30:24 PM

Quote:
hmm, that seems very strange to me, G.Skill puts the same stuff in their ram that corsair does

Maybe you are right. I should update my BIOS again.
February 7, 2007 9:11:41 PM

Quote:
hmm, that seems very strange to me, G.Skill puts the same stuff in their ram that corsair does

Maybe you are right. I should update my BIOS again.
well here's site that you can check the IC of your old G.Skill, and as it shows and I have known for a long time (I knew since november 28th when I bought some corsair ram that contained promos, before people showed me this), corsair puts promos in the newer revisions of their ram instead of the old micron IC's they used to have
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

Good list. I need to read this carefully.
a b } Memory
February 9, 2007 11:36:46 AM

This thread is really amusing, full of FUD. Take about 80% of this thread with a LARGE grain of salt.

Obviously, Dominator PC10000 is not for everyone and there are many great alternatives. It is as simple as that.

Intentionally spreading incorrect information about a company is rather weak.
February 9, 2007 1:28:14 PM

Are'nt you a Corsair rep :D 
how about a little factual info :wink:
That is what threads like this need.
a b } Memory
February 9, 2007 2:36:39 PM

I'll be happy to provide it. Additionally, there is lots of factual info available on the net from unbiased sources. First, later today, I'll get a list together of the mistakes and erroneous facts in this thread and we can go from there.
a b } Memory
February 9, 2007 7:55:25 PM

Quote:
Well, now the xms no longer means extreme memory speed, it means extremelysuckky memorymadeof sh$t, but a lot of people under look ocz because the price is cheap, and something I have learned is that price means nothing, it just means whether the company is being fair to you or being an a$$ and selling very expensive sh$t
First of all you don't make yourself look very bright here by resorting to name calling and thinly disguised profanity. I gave you credit in another thread for "trying" to help people but it looks like I may have been a bit too quick to offer you anything. An opinion is one thing but useless drivel like this is not needed and I don't think it is wanted here at THG. Care to explain how this is useful or add any facts to back it up?

Quote:
There are ram kits out for half the price that offer about the same performance, such as this $300 G.Skill kit, it uses d9gkx IC, and people have gotten them to cas3 1000mhz with reasonable voltage like you could on the xms 6400c3 (not dominator) with d9gkx ICs, all the dominator's now use d9mgh, which isn't as good, but not bad either if highly binned
Wrong again. I don't know who you think your sources are but, you are incorrect, just like last time. You have no way of knowing the specific revisions we use. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here on the typo and we all know you meant GMH. And, GMH and GKX both exhibit different characteristics and the GMH is better than "not bad". You are stretching your info too thin here in your effort to bash Corsair.

Quote:

And trust me, I KNOW I have dealt with more memory than you have. How much memory do you actually own and how much have you owned?

As I tried to explain to you before, when you take it upon yourself to post in the fashion you do, there is a certain amount of responsibility that comes with that. People look to you for answers and they believe what you say. The lying, the bravado, the mistakes, the swearing, etc etc are all NOT necessary. I don't care if you like Corsair or not. Recomend any brand you like, we love the competition. As a private citizen, I certainly do. That's why we can by Intel E6300 CPUs for $186 now.

But, please stop slandering my company just to try to look cool.
a b } Memory
February 9, 2007 8:22:33 PM

Quote:
according to the official ram list, the original non dominator 6400c3 use d9gkx, and so does ram guy's list say that, so unless if both are incorrect, I believe ......

And my point was that with the exception of the 675c4 priced at only a mere $150 for 2gigs (taco likes a lot here :p ) , the modules that contain promos and elpida are a bit higher priced than other brands simular modules containing promos and elpida, such as G.Skill that has a modle under $200 for 800mhz and has the same or simular IC's that corsair has in their 800mhz grade xms series

And I'm not slandering your company, and I hope you do not feel the need to accuse me of libel, but I just feel that until very recently, corsair's prices were too high for their IC's, especially the orignial 2.x 6400c4d kits that were almost $300 for promos based memory

Here is the ONLY official RAM list that is reliable for our memory. And, note that it does not distinguish between GMH and GKX. You are relying on information from 3rd parties again and in your blind rush to memory coolness, you got it wrong.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5733...

As of yesterday, our Promos based PC6400C4 and C5 2gb kits were both under $200 at Newegg. But, I'm not here to debate pricing with you as I have no control over that.

If what I quoted above is not slandering I don't know what is. Why is it that you sling insults and cute words around until someone calls you on it? Don't you believe in what you are saying?
a b } Memory
February 9, 2007 9:11:43 PM

Taco, as I said the last time we "butted heads", I really don't care what memory you recommend when you are helping people. It's all good and you should only post what you believe in. But, I think you would agree that your tone in the last 2 posts has changed from the beginning of this thread.

I appreciate your compliments and I try to be helpful and accurate as well as not losing my cool and getting into flame wars with people. It serves no purpose really. It's like Confuscious said, "never argue with a fool, listeners cannot tell which is which".

As for GCT, if you will look at a lot of end users, a good bit of GCT Micron, even some of the Crucial stuff, is not clocking any better than the good Promos stuff. In many cases it is not clocking as well.

If you were not respected here and influencing lots of people, I would not look at your comments twice. However, you are respected here at THG and people DO look to your advice. So, when you resort to name calling and spreading bad info about Corsair to get people to buy into your opinion, that is when I respond directly to you.

You probably don't want advice but, here it is anyway. When you post on the internet, leave your ego out of it. It clouds your judgement and impinges on the credibility of the information you are trying to relay. If what you are saying is valid, it will stand on its own merit.
a b } Memory
February 9, 2007 10:20:05 PM

It's cool man 8)

FWIW, Supertalent is making a Promos based set now also. The only maker of note I can think of that is not using either Promos, Quimonda, or Elpida is Crucial. And, I hear their 6400 GCT part is not doing well.

C'yah round :D 
a b } Memory
February 9, 2007 10:31:55 PM

Quote:
And on the gct line, those actually can perform well, but you need the proper sub timings on them to get good oc's, and that is why many people can't get them, because they don't know how to do that properly, so I agree that the gct line is not newb friendly
My guess is the the yield quality and quantity is dropping, especially compared to say.....6 months ago. Micron is moving more resources to the newer fabs for 128mb ICs so I imagine that with the emergence of the D9NHL stuff, the lesser 64mb D9 fabs will go EOL.

And, all voltages and sub timings aside, some of the GCT stuff just will not clock.

One telling tale is that a month or 2 ago, Dell stopped offering their own Micron based OEM DDR800 parts. Now, they "might" have even stopped offering the Micron based DDR667 parts too. I know that some of it has been replaced with Samsung based modules that cost more than good premium D9 stuff. I have no idea of the Samsung IC or how it clocks.
February 10, 2007 2:39:32 AM

Quote:
True, but for am2 users and pentium D, it's more crucial (pun not intended) to have higher memory frequencies because am2 has an integrated mem controller and the pentium D's plain ol' suck and need the speed, conroes on the other hand recieve a massive benefit from running them at 1:1 rather than 2:1 or 4:5, so cheaper memory can be useful there

I cant speak for the D's, but increasing your memory speed on an AM2 system MAY give you more bandwidth over all, but unfortunately, that extra bandwidth doesn't translate into real world gains. When I Cranked my memory up to DDR2 900+, the only difference I noticed was that sandra gave me a few more hundred points on my memories bandwidth benchmarks, Oblivion, F.E.A.R. and the random Windows Application didn't even notice the difference.

Yeah, sure, 50MHZ DDR isn't all that much, but according to other people who have done the same thing with higher speed memory, that I have talked to, have also noticed the same thing. I have heard, however, that doing the same on a C2D does make a noticeable difference. *shrug*
February 10, 2007 12:27:45 PM

Quote:
that's false, conroes have worse performance when using anything besides 1:1,
:lol: 
I dont know where you get this stuff from taco's.
4:5 screams. 2:3 and your extreme.
a b } Memory
February 10, 2007 12:36:39 PM

Quote:
that's false, conroes have worse performance when using anything besides 1:1, so you will never get to 625fsb no matter how hard you try, your motherboard just can't handle it
I have fairly recently done some testing with 1:1 vs 4:5. In a nutshell, 4:5 is slightly faster than 1:1 in any given task assuming the fsb is the same for each setting. It was not a huge difference, probably less than 5%. However, the differences don't continue to scale directly with the memory bandwidth increases so running your memory substantially faster than the CPU will improve theoretical bandwidth but not necessarily translate into huge real world gains over 1:1. It looks pretty in Sandra though.
February 10, 2007 3:22:06 PM

I got my E6400 running at 3.2 Ghz and 45c (FINALLY)
However, my RAM is still running at CL6!
Ok, so how can I slowly increase timings until it's tweeked?
Thanks!
February 10, 2007 3:30:59 PM

Quote:
through the advanced memory section of the bios. Just change the main 4 settings to something like 5-5-5-15, or set it at auto and it should lower them to 5-5-5-15 on it's own. You want lower timings, not higher

Thanks. I got the fsb to 400Mhz and I'm using Corsair 6400C4. So I expect I can do better.
February 11, 2007 12:34:07 AM

XMSYellowbeard, I have a question that perhaps you could help me with. My system listed in my signature will only run the memory (also listed in sig) at DDR2 533, without crashing once every week or so. I'm fairly certain its not the memory, unless, it is because this cruddy motherbaord will not run voltage any higher than 1.8v (for the memory).

Anyhow, the question I have I guess, is what all could this be attributed to ? Obviously the voltage could be an issue, but its only .1v difference from memory spec.

My memory: CM2X1024-6400 XMS6405v5.1 (ProMos)

I bought this memory as a matched pair (2x1 GB sticks). Anyhow, I'm completely unhappy with this motherboard, and the ONLY reason I purchased it to begin with, is that it was only $54, and money was running tight (I have plans in the very near future to upgrade system board, and possibly CPU.

I've had this memory up to around 1012MHZ DDR2, but the system became unstable, as in not just crashing every week or so, but every hour or so, so I'm fairly sure it is not the memory. Also, obviously, its a budget motherboard, but supposedly its supposed to support DDR2 800 memory.
Any enlightenment would be appreciated here :) 
a b } Memory
February 11, 2007 4:57:08 PM

Can you list your complete bios settings for RAM, CPU, and voltages. And, what is the stock memory speed for that MOBO if you load setup defaults?

You are probably correct on the voltages but, since you are underclocking it does seem odd that the system is not stable at DDR533.
a b } Memory
February 11, 2007 5:48:10 PM

Quote:
I may be wrong, but doesn't corsair do the best job of making sure all their memory passes the jedec standard of 800mhz 5-5-5-15 with 1.8 volts?
I have no idea about the best job but, it is indeed very important. Last fall there were lots of issues that were either the SPD being too aggressive or MOBOs with a low or weak default Vdimm. So, an user without a generic DIMM to boot the system and set timings was out of luck.
February 12, 2007 2:55:43 PM

Quote:
I didn't see anything in the review that really showed an increase in performance. What's the point of paying twice as much for 1250 MHz RAM when the speed difference is negligible, at best?

This is what the article said in the conclusion
February 13, 2007 9:11:46 PM

Quote:
Can you list your complete bios settings for RAM, CPU, and voltages. And, what is the stock memory speed for that MOBO if you load setup defaults?

You are probably correct on the voltages but, since you are underclocking it does seem odd that the system is not stable at DDR533.

CPU is on auto, memory has to be manual in any configuration higher than DDR2 533, which defaults at 4-4-4-12 timings, when i tried DDR2 800, voltage is locked at 1.8 (not configurable on this motherboard), and i loosened the timings to 5-5-5-18, 'stock speed of mobo' ? IF you mean whats the memory defaults to, that i listed above, CPU voltage / vdimm is not adjustable, and automatically set by the board. I can however, set memory speed to DDR2, and set the BIOS option 'memory compatibility mode' to enabled, but all this does, is cut the memory frequency down to 200mhz DDR. According to Asrocks site, the board is supposed to support DDR2 800, and unless they've changed it since last time i looked, it should still state that.

I was just curious if you could give me some idea of whats going on here, and I already highly suspect is this PITA board, I'll never buy from them again. I'm seriously thinking about just buying an ABIT board, and being done with it. I know trouble shooting isn't always easy (I do it every day).
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!