patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

What's the best way to get rid of a dual-boot setup? I have 2 hard drives
with XP Pro on both. (long story) My C: drive is formatted NTFS the D: drive
Fat32. (if that makes a difference) Someone told me to use a boot-disk and
at the DOS prompt type "sys C:" Will that do the trick?

Thanks

Philo

"Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the best way to get rid of a dual-boot setup? I have 2 hard drives
> with XP Pro on both. (long story) My C: drive is formatted NTFS the D:
drive
> Fat32. (if that makes a difference) Someone told me to use a boot-disk and
> at the DOS prompt type "sys C:" Will that do the trick?

edit boot.ini
remove the entry for the OS you don't need
you can then delete that installtion

just do not format your C: drive

boot.ini is a hidden file in your root directory

if you are not sure of what you are doing...

format a floppy on your machine (NOT from a win9x machine)
then copy over boot.ini ntdetect.com and ntldr

test the floppy first to be sure you can boot from it

Hi,

Do not "sys C:", that would be a serious error. Simply open boot.ini in
notepad and remove the unwanted entry from the [operating systems] section.
(just type C:\boot.ini into a start/run prompt)

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the best way to get rid of a dual-boot setup? I have 2 hard drives
> with XP Pro on both. (long story) My C: drive is formatted NTFS the D:
> drive Fat32. (if that makes a difference) Someone told me to use a
> boot-disk and at the DOS prompt type "sys C:" Will that do the trick?
>

> Thanks

patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

Hi Nutcase, long time no see. Question, since both boots are XP, how do I
know which one to remove? I want to boot to the one on my C: drive.

> Hi,
>
> Do not "sys C:", that would be a serious error. Simply open boot.ini in
> notepad and remove the unwanted entry from the [operating systems]
> section. (just type C:\boot.ini into a start/run prompt)
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What's the best way to get rid of a dual-boot setup? I have 2 hard drives
>> with XP Pro on both. (long story) My C: drive is formatted NTFS the D:
>> drive Fat32. (if that makes a difference) Someone told me to use a
>> boot-disk and at the DOS prompt type "sys C:" Will that do the trick?
>>

>> Thanks

patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

Better yet, here is my Boot.ini, tell me how to set it for booting from C:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
Professional" /fastdetect

Thanks

> Hi,
>
> Do not "sys C:", that would be a serious error. Simply open boot.ini in
> notepad and remove the unwanted entry from the [operating systems]
> section. (just type C:\boot.ini into a start/run prompt)
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Hi,

> [boot loader]
> timeout=30

Means you are not booting from the first primary drive, but rather the
second.

> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Second partition on the drive that you are booting from.

> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect

First partition on the primary drive.

Which one you delete depends on how you are configured. Boot.ini will not
indicate which drive is seen as "C".

--

> Better yet, here is my Boot.ini, tell me how to set it for booting from C:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect
>
> Thanks

>> Hi,
>>
>> Do not "sys C:", that would be a serious error. Simply open boot.ini in
>> notepad and remove the unwanted entry from the [operating systems]
>> section. (just type C:\boot.ini into a start/run prompt)
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

johnf

Back up your boot.ini as a safeguard if you're concerned.

Open the original & replace with -

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

--

johnf

> Better yet, here is my Boot.ini, tell me how to set it for booting from
> C:
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect
>
> Thanks

>> Hi,
>>
>> Do not "sys C:", that would be a serious error. Simply open boot.ini in
>> notepad and remove the unwanted entry from the [operating systems]
>> section. (just type C:\boot.ini into a start/run prompt)
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

johnf

Well, I don't know what I've done then, Rick - funnily enough (old age,
probably) I've never picked up on that particular entry before.
I used to have dual boot on 1 drive a year or so ago, but now only have one
OS partition (C) - the other (D) data only on a S-ATA.
It appears XP automatically may pick up the OS drive when you only have
one - I'd be interested in your comments, then I'll change partition (2) to
partition (1) & see what happens.
My current setup is Part 1. - XP, Part. 2 Data only.
(I also have a 2nd. partitioned drive (E & F), both for data only, but doubt
if that affects the equation.

An odd one.

--

johnf

> Hi,
>
>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=30
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS
>
> Means you are not booting from the first primary drive, but rather the
> second.
>
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>
> Second partition on the drive that you are booting from.
>
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>> Professional" /fastdetect
>
> First partition on the primary drive.
>
> Which one you delete depends on how you are configured. Boot.ini will
> not indicate which drive is seen as "C".
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Better yet, here is my Boot.ini, tell me how to set it for booting
>> from C:
>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=30
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>> Professional" /fastdetect
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Do not "sys C:", that would be a serious error. Simply open boot.ini
>>> in notepad and remove the unwanted entry from the [operating systems]
>>> section. (just type C:\boot.ini into a start/run prompt)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

Hi,

This is what the system will identify as the system and boot partitions in
the diskmanager:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

The first will be the system partition (where the boot files lie), and the
latter two entries in the [operating systems] will be boot partitions (where
the OS's available for booting are). This one:

Professional" /fastdetect

is likely the IDE drive, I suspect the other is your SATA drive.