new computer-Office license?

Hi -

I can't seem to find an Office XP group, so taking a shot at getting this
answered here..

I have Office XP installed on my desktop and my laptop. I'm soon going to
buy a new desktop, and want to install Office XP on it. Is there any
(legal) way to obtain a license for the new
installation/activation? I've only had the new suite for about a year, and
would rather not have to buy another.

thanks,

Craig

microsoft.public.office.misc and microsoft.public.office.setup

"steener" <steener12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I can't seem to find an Office XP group, so taking a shot at getting this
> answered here..
>
> I have Office XP installed on my desktop and my laptop. I'm soon going to
> buy a new desktop, and want to install Office XP on it. Is there any
> (legal) way to obtain a license for the new
> installation/activation? I've only had the new suite for about a year,
> and
> would rather not have to buy another.
>
> thanks,
>
> Craig

You'll have to go out and purchase a new copy of
Microsoft Office for a third installation on a different
computer. Otherwise, product activation will fail
since you ran out of licenses.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"steener" wrote:

| Hi -
|
| I can't seem to find an Office XP group, so taking a shot at getting this
| answered here..
|
| I have Office XP installed on my desktop and my laptop. I'm soon going to
| buy a new desktop, and want to install Office XP on it. Is there any
| (legal) way to obtain a license for the new
| installation/activation? I've only had the new suite for about a year, and
| would rather not have to buy another.
|
| thanks,
|
| Craig

If you have an ordinary retail copy you have already reached your limit with
the desktop and laptop. An additional license will cost almost as much as a
fresh copy of Office. If you want Office XP and not Office 2003, then go to
eBay where a suite should cost less than an additional license. Personally,
I would buy Office 2003.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:09:04 -0500, steener wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I can't seem to find an Office XP group, so taking a shot at getting this
> answered here..
>
> I have Office XP installed on my desktop and my laptop. I'm soon going to
> buy a new desktop, and want to install Office XP on it. Is there any
> (legal) way to obtain a license for the new
> installation/activation? I've only had the new suite for about a year, and
> would rather not have to buy another.
>
> thanks,
>
> Craig

Office XP allows for installation on one desktop and one portable computer.
If it was purchased separately (not an OEM copy that came with the old
desktop), then you can uninstall it from old desktop and transfer it to the
new one.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Did the OP ask why activation failed-NO?, he asked where he could get
another LEGAL license yo use with his current copy! Yet you provide no means
to how to get it, other than making sure you police him him to uphold the
pseudo-MS laws.

> You'll have to go out and purchase a new copy of
> Microsoft Office for a third installation on a different
> computer. Otherwise, product activation will fail
> since you ran out of licenses.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

> "steener" wrote:
>
> | Hi -
> |
> | I can't seem to find an Office XP group, so taking a shot at getting
> this
> | answered here..
> |
> | I have Office XP installed on my desktop and my laptop. I'm soon going
> | buy a new desktop, and want to install Office XP on it. Is there any
> | (legal) way to obtain a license for the new
> | installation/activation? I've only had the new suite for about a year,
> and
> | would rather not have to buy another.
> |
> | thanks,
> |
> | Craig

Is any law that you find inconveniences you 'pseudo'?

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> Did the OP ask why activation failed-NO?, he asked where he could get
> another LEGAL license yo use with his current copy! Yet you provide no
> means to how to get it, other than making sure you police him him to
> uphold the pseudo-MS laws.

>> You'll have to go out and purchase a new copy of
>> Microsoft Office for a third installation on a different
>> computer. Otherwise, product activation will fail
>> since you ran out of licenses.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>
>> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

>> "steener" wrote:
>>
>> | Hi -
>> |
>> | I can't seem to find an Office XP group, so taking a shot at getting
>> this
>> | answered here..
>> |
>> | I have Office XP installed on my desktop and my laptop. I'm soon going
>> | buy a new desktop, and want to install Office XP on it. Is there any
>> | (legal) way to obtain a license for the new
>> | installation/activation? I've only had the new suite for about a year,
>> and
>> | would rather not have to buy another.
>> |
>> | thanks,
>> |
>> | Craig

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"steener" <steener12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I can't seem to find an Office XP group, so taking a shot at getting this
> answered here..
>
> I have Office XP installed on my desktop and my laptop. I'm soon going to
> buy a new desktop, and want to install Office XP on it. Is there any
> (legal) way to obtain a license for the new
> installation/activation? I've only had the new suite for about a year,
> and
> would rather not have to buy another.
>
> thanks,
>
> Craig

Youi can buy Office 2003 Student Teracher Edition, which allows for 3
installations on any device, and cost $149 (IIRC).

But she needs documentation of eligibility from an educational institution.

> "steener" <steener12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi -
>>
>> I can't seem to find an Office XP group, so taking a shot at getting this
>> answered here..
>>
>> I have Office XP installed on my desktop and my laptop. I'm soon going
>> buy a new desktop, and want to install Office XP on it. Is there any
>> (legal) way to obtain a license for the new
>> installation/activation? I've only had the new suite for about a year,
>> and
>> would rather not have to buy another.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Craig
>>

> Youi can buy Office 2003 Student Teracher Edition, which allows for 3
> installations on any device, and cost $149 (IIRC).

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So? I just simply made a suggestion, and left it up to the OP to decide
where and how to get that documentation.

> But she needs documentation of eligibility from an educational
> institution.

> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "steener" <steener12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> I can't seem to find an Office XP group, so taking a shot at getting
>>> this
>>> answered here..
>>>
>>> I have Office XP installed on my desktop and my laptop. I'm soon going
>>> buy a new desktop, and want to install Office XP on it. Is there any
>>> (legal) way to obtain a license for the new
>>> installation/activation? I've only had the new suite for about a year,
>>> and
>>> would rather not have to buy another.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>

>> Youi can buy Office 2003 Student Teracher Edition, which allows for 3
>> installations on any device, and cost $149 (IIRC).

But as a courtesy you should add that the Academic license has that
condition attached.

> So? I just simply made a suggestion, and left it up to the OP to decide
> where and how to get that documentation.

>> But she needs documentation of eligibility from an educational
>> institution.
>>
>> --
>> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "steener" <steener12@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Youi can buy Office 2003 Student Teracher Edition, which allows for 3
>>> installations on any device, and cost $149 (IIRC).

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No I don't, and I didn't say I do. My comment is that Carey's addition was
not anything pertinent to the info the OP needed. It is jump reaction that
Carey feels the the need incessantly remind others to what he thinks is law,
and his duty to the preachers from the Redmond Temple.

But since you ask, I abide by laws that are written and enforced by ACTUAL
lawmakers, not by contracts that have made up laws that serve the contract
purposes of the contract onwers.

steener wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I can't seem to find an Office XP group, so taking a shot at getting this
> answered here..
>
> I have Office XP installed on my desktop and my laptop. I'm soon going to
> buy a new desktop, and want to install Office XP on it. Is there any
> (legal) way to obtain a license for the new
> installation/activation? I've only had the new suite for about a year, and
> would rather not have to buy another.
>
> thanks,
>
> Craig

You'll either have to remove Office XP from the desktop PC it is
currently on before installing it on the new desktop, or purchase an
additional license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Thanks, Bruce...that answers my question which, in retrospect, was not as
clear as it could have been. I'm looking at replacing the installation I
have (i.e., junking the old computer), not adding a third installation.

So, to make sure I'm clear, if I uninstall on the existing desktop, that has
the effect of "de-activating" the license so that I can make a new, legal
install on another 'puter?

thanks to all.

steener wrote:
> Thanks, Bruce...that answers my question which, in retrospect, was not as
> clear as it could have been. I'm looking at replacing the installation I
> have (i.e., junking the old computer), not adding a third installation.
>
> So, to make sure I'm clear, if I uninstall on the existing desktop, that has
> the effect of "de-activating" the license so that I can make a new, legal
> install on another 'puter?

Removing Office from the old computer will free up the license so that
it can be installed on the new computer, but there is no "de-activation"
process, as such. You may have to activate the new installation by
telephone, explaining the situation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: