new core2 mobo question

heisindc

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
so i just got all the parts in for my new build. thanks in advance for any help.

e6300
biostar tforce 965PT
1 gig 800mHz RAM
BFG 7600GT
80gig SATA

i'm using my old DVD DL RW drive, audigy, old 80gig WD IDE for backup and 500W power supply.

Questions:
mobo has SATA, HD IDE and a Floppy connector....where is the secondary IDE for my DVD RW?

I have primary HD on SATA, then secondary on IDE. Will this work?

mobo has 24 pin power connector, but my PSU has a 20 pin, i've read that I can just connect the 20 pin and things should be fine BUT what side does it go on? one with 2 grounds? there is a chart in the manual of the pin placements, but doesnt say which side the 20 pin goes on.

thanks all!

eric

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
so i just got all the parts in for my new build. thanks in advance for any help.

e6300
biostar tforce 965PT
1 gig 800mHz RAM
BFG 7600GT
80gig SATA

i'm using my old DVD DL RW drive, audigy, old 80gig WD IDE for backup and 500W power supply.

Questions:
mobo has SATA, HD IDE and a Floppy connector....where is the secondary IDE for my DVD RW?

I have primary HD on SATA, then secondary on IDE. Will this work?

mobo has 24 pin power connector, but my PSU has a 20 pin, i've read that I can just connect the 20 pin and things should be fine BUT what side does it go on? one with 2 grounds? there is a chart in the manual of the pin placements, but doesnt say which side the 20 pin goes on.

thanks all!

eric

THe power supply should be keyed, it'll only go to one side. You can connect the IDE hard drive and the DVD burner on the same cable, make the DVD "slave". 965 chipsets only have 1 IDE connector since there are so many SATA hard drives out now.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
965 chipsets only have 1 IDE connector since there are so many SATA hard drives out now.
Not srictly true, 965 chipset has no IDE at all.
IDE support is added by using a separate onboard controller - the most common JMicron only has 1 IDE but e.g abit's IB9 uses an ITE brand connector with 2.