Trouble Powering On Upgraded System

ToneUK7

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Hi, today, i upgraded my hard drive, motherboard, and graphics card. I finally converted from AGP to PCI-E but have ran into a technical difficulty.

When i turn on the system, it powers on for not even a second, and turns istelf off. I believe its something to do with the PSU, im using an Antec True Blue 480W and im sure that will meet the demands of an ATI X1950 Pro.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i really want this up and running!.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
the best way to go about this so you only have to do this once is to assemble the minimum required parts outside of the case. the minimum components needed to verify operation are: power supply, mobo, ram, CPU w/heatsink-fan, vid card and keyboard.

assemble these components outside of the case, connect your monitor, see if it stays running, if nothing is broken you should be able to get into BIOS and check your initial CPU temps.

if it still won't stay powered on (when you momentarily touch both power-sw pins with a paperclip) then you need to examine the parts individually for problems.

ToneUK7

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
In terms of spec, they are the following.

Asus A8V-XE Motherboard
ATI Radeon X1950 Pro
1GB Corsair Value Select
512MB Corsair XMS Pro
Antec True Blue 480W Power Supply.

In response to the second reply, will taking it out the case just yield the same results as inside?

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
naturally, the we are assuming you made sure the processor and ram are spec'd to work in that mobo, and that there were no "accidents' during assembly.

assembling it outside of the case eliminates the case and/or mobo standoffs as a possible problem.

most instances of a (new) power supply not staying on is caused by excessive current draw on the power supply, this can be caused by a short on the mobo.

if the power supply doesn't receive the proper "power good" signal back from the mobo it shuts itself off in self defense.