802.11g Wireless Network Storage Question

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I'm looking for recommendations. I have a D-Link DSM-600 at the latest firmware that I use to store movies and music to wirelessly share between my Media Center and XP PCs. Really nice at times, however my 802.11g space is saturated by my neighbors on every band (I can see over 2 dozen SSIDs no matter which band I use). In the afternoons, 20M files end before completion. I am not going to spend money on 802.11n until they fix the many problems that Tomshardware have pointed out (a pre-N neighbor is already blocking my access to one of my bands). It is necessary for me to stay wireless. Any suggestions on a net storage device that is better or DSM-600 work arounds? I would really like to eventually be able to do a backup and move the whole file to this device without it ending communication someways through it.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I have a D-Link DSM-600 ...It is necessary for me to stay wireless...
Is there one area of the channel space (1, 6, 11) where the existing networks are the weakest? If so, choose that. Is there a place in your house / apt where you can put the DSM-600 where the signal from outside will be weakest, but your own router, etc., signal will still be strong?

You could also try hi-gain directional antennas to focus your desired signals between your devices while helping to reject signals coming from other directions.

Or, you could cave in and put in a wired network. That would have the added benefit of being faster, too.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Is there one area of the channel space (1, 6, 11) where the existing networks are the weakest? If so, choose that. Is there a place in your house / apt where you can put the DSM-600 where the signal from outside will be weakest, but your own router, etc., signal will still be strong?

You could also try hi-gain directional antennas to focus your desired signals between your devices while helping to reject signals coming from other directions.

Or, you could cave in and put in a wired network. That would have the added benefit of being faster, too.

Yeah, it looks like I will have to look into an antenna or a better streaming storage alternative, however I have resisted this option because my PC NICs are maintaining 802.11g speeds with no droppage whatsoever. I am in a location where I cannot wire and my PCs are over 20' away from the physical Internet link. Also, the physical Inet link is in a cramped area where I cannot put a PC and barely have space for the router and storage device. The perfect situation for wireless, which is probably why everyone around me is using that solution. None of the open band spaces on the router seem to help reception much.