Super slow SOU

I enjoyed NWN original and HOU without problem so I am trying SOU for the
first time. All three are installed. Now I am stack at beginning of chapter
two. I have tried several times but I can't go anywhere else from the second
room in chapter two.

I experienced sluggishness from the beginning like heavy pointer and
character responds to my click a couple seconds behind.
Now I finished chapter one. The movie got frozen so I had to restart
computer. The second try, I used escape key to avoid movie.
Then, I got auto save and in Asabi camp. I just can not go any farther. I
click on the floor to move my character, one minuet after I hear the
clicking noise, two minuets after the character moves to there. I took 35
minuets to rescue my henchman and finish that conversation. So I hit G to
quick save. Frozen. Start over from the auto save. It took me 3 minuets to
pick up 2 books from the bookshelf. I hit option - save frozen. This time I
got error message said "NWMAIN has caused an error in NWMAIN.EXE"
All other program is working fine. I use Windows Me with 256 MB RDRAM. I
should have enough memory. I just had to format and reinstall windows last
week so no junks loaded.
Can anyone think about why?
Should I try to reinstall NWN?
3 answers Last reply
More about super slow

    Arcury wrote:
    > I enjoyed NWN original and HOU without problem so I am trying SOU for the
    > first time. All three are installed. Now I am stack at beginning of chapter
    > two. I have tried several times but I can't go anywhere else from the second
    > room in chapter two.
    >
    > I experienced sluggishness from the beginning like heavy pointer and
    > character responds to my click a couple seconds behind.
    > Now I finished chapter one. The movie got frozen so I had to restart
    > computer. The second try, I used escape key to avoid movie.
    > Then, I got auto save and in Asabi camp. I just can not go any farther. I
    > click on the floor to move my character, one minuet after I hear the
    > clicking noise, two minuets after the character moves to there. I took 35
    > minuets to rescue my henchman and finish that conversation. So I hit G to
    > quick save. Frozen. Start over from the auto save. It took me 3 minuets to
    > pick up 2 books from the bookshelf. I hit option - save frozen. This time I
    > got error message said "NWMAIN has caused an error in NWMAIN.EXE"
    > All other program is working fine. I use Windows Me with 256 MB RDRAM. I
    > should have enough memory. I just had to format and reinstall windows last
    > week so no junks loaded.
    > Can anyone think about why?
    > Should I try to reinstall NWN?

    It sounds like you've gotten past a particular problem area, but there
    is a known issue with a certain place in chapter 2 after the 1.65 patch.
    If you've patched to 1.65, then there is a hotfix on the Bioware site to
    fix the SoU problem.

    Yes I have patched to 1.65.
    I down loaded this hot fix patch and unzipped. Now I got empty files such as
    dmvault, localvault, logs, servervault, tempclient small nwnfile on
    mydesktop. What should I do with these? If I put them into nwn file on my
    hard drive they will replace existing file. I shouldn't replace them with
    empty files I think or should I?.

    "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

    > It sounds like you've gotten past a particular problem area, but there
    > is a known issue with a certain place in chapter 2 after the 1.65 patch.
    > If you've patched to 1.65, then there is a hotfix on the Bioware site to
    > fix the SoU problem.

    I have no idea how you ended up with the empty files on your desktop. If you
    downloaded the correct zip file from Bioware it should have contained 2
    executable files and 1 read me file. The executables are nwmain.exe and
    nwserver.exe. As I understand it these executables are to replace the
    original executables of the same names in the NWN installation folder. The
    read me says to back up the originals. The easyest way to do this is to
    simply rename the original files by adding Old or Orig to the front of the
    existing name. Then copy and paste the new executables into the intallation
    folder exactly where the originals were.

    I ran into the same problem in SOU but have not tried it again since
    downloading and replacing the .exes. I am interested in knowing if anyone
    has tried this, and if it worked. The read me from Bioware sounded like they
    were not sure if it would work.

    Mox

    "Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Yes I have patched to 1.65.
    > I down loaded this hot fix patch and unzipped. Now I got empty files such
    > as
    > dmvault, localvault, logs, servervault, tempclient small nwnfile on
    > mydesktop. What should I do with these? If I put them into nwn file on my
    > hard drive they will replace existing file. I shouldn't replace them with
    > empty files I think or should I?.
    >

    > "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> It sounds like you've gotten past a particular problem area, but there
    >> is a known issue with a certain place in chapter 2 after the 1.65 patch.
    >> If you've patched to 1.65, then there is a hotfix on the Bioware site to
    >> fix the SoU problem.

Video Games