Using two broadband lines for redundancy?

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Hey guys, I havent been around for a little while (not too much mac talk going on here ;-) ) but I have come back with a question!

I have a few websites I host (just personal crap, portfolio, blog, you know) through a web host at about 20 bucks a month. I am interested in just making myself a server and hosting them myself. Then a buddy of mine came to me and say "hey, if you do get a server up and running, let me know, I could use some cheap hosting for my bands site." So I thought, I know a ton of guys that would love to have a webhost for like 3 bucks a month. Then I had a scary thought:

My host guarantee's 99.9% uptime, I am currently using comcast and well, they dont guarantee crap, but I do also have the option of getting free DSL from my apartments (768/256 not the fastest I know, but it would only be used for emergency's). They are private DSL lines, and I thought hmm if I can why dont I just use the comcast connection AND the DSL connection for redundancy?

I have looked around and I know you can shotgun 56k modems, but I havent seen too much in my situation. I wouldnt NEED both connections active all the time, while I would love to use my apartments DSL as a way to take any strain off of my Comcast connection. So my question is

how would I go about using both connections? I understand I would need to pick up two NIC's that can accept this type of set up, but besides that I dont really know what I would need.
Also what do you think? 6,768kbp/s down and 1,256kbp/s up, that would work out just fine for a smaller web server eh?

As always thanks in advance!!!