Best time to build/upgrade?

Apr 26, 2006
I am eagerly waiting to swap in some new core parts to my system (namely; mobo, cpu, memory and graphics card).

My current system (I'm not at my current system):
Athlon XP 3200+
MSI Neo2 Platinum
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
1 GB (2x512) PC 3200 DDR Memory (Kingston, maybe.. Value probably)
1 150GB HD SATA Drive (WD, I believe)
3 IDE HD's totalling 350GB (mix between Maxtor and WD)
Antec PSU ("Cool Blue" or something; 450W, I believe)
DVD Burner (repackaged LiteOn, I believe)
Antec "Silent" Case (can't remember the name, some say it looks like a refrigerator or safe).
Dual 19" Monitors (Viewsonic & Acer, both DVI though one is currently hooked as analogue b/c 9700 pro only has one DVI).

I'm not at my comp at this moment, so these might be off (HDD space, memory might be more, etc.), but you can see that most of the auxiliary components can stay

I'd like to upgrade now or soon with atleast a dual-core cpu, sturdy mobo (not really an overclocker, though), 2GB memory and a DX10 graphics card...

Would it be worth it to shell out bucks now, or wait a little while for the market to level a bit now with Vista and DX10 just releasing a week ago? Is there a newer wave on the horizon as far as CPUs are concerned?

What I want is to get on the new wave of technology early so there's more room before the next wave comes, but don't want to be too early where there's still much room for improvement in the components. When would be the best time to buy between now and the summer in your opinion?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
between now and june: ati dx10 cards are coming out (march?), more nvidia dx10 cards, new c2d processors are coming out, and new amd cpu's (early summer i think). to find the specific dates you would have to search the forums or maybe someone else knows. just remember there is never a good or bad time to build or upgrade. something new is always around the corner and if you keep saying "i'm gonna wait until..." you will never end up building a computer.

just2good4u3434

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
It would be wise to wait until mid-summer when both ATI and Nvidia have all their cards out on the table and there is competitive pricing among them.