Thermaltake Armor Case Mod - Suggestions for a small problem

SmilesLikeJoker

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I currently have the Thermaltake Armor case with the big arse fan on the side. I love everything about the case except one thing....

I'm currenlty running two 8800's in SLI. The way my motherboard sits, it puts the bottom video card about an inch from the very bottom of the case. Because it sits so low, I can't seem to get good air flow to it. It idles alot higher than I like. The side window helps keep the top one cooler...it's just the bottom one that needs some loving.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get some air to that thing?

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Assman gave you good advice, that's probably what I'd do too.

I have a Thermaltake Armor, and putting the drive cage on the bottommost slot will probably help you. For more airflow, you could place all HDs on the rear top shelf instead of behind the 120mm intake.

It's kind of stupid that video cards have their processors pointing down instead of pointing up. Convection gets messed up because of that...

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Curious, what mobo do you have that the PCI-e slot is that far down on it? You can always lift the case up a bit and cut an exhaust out of the bottom...

SmilesLikeJoker

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
EVGA 680i mobo

I wasn't expecting that little room. I'm really thinking about doing either a mod in the bottom of the window or the back of the case in the area that is set aside for BTX.