Rahul Sood on the Dangers of Complacency

Julian33

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Yeah. Well, Intel did it with Netburst, and although K8 was a great architecture, AMD has made the same mistake by thinking it would carry them through probably longer than any other architecture has done in the past. The result isn't very pleasant.

radicalentity

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Yeah interesting. The thing that's funny also is that a good deal of the people well off enough to invest in a ps3 can probably easily put a little extra aside for a Wii as well.

The reverse is true much less often.

Wii is making casual gamers out of non-gamers. I wouldn't underestimate that.

As to the general topic of arrogance and ignorance causing major companies to lose their grasp on their market share, it's definitely nothing new, as stories of a similar theme date back as far a literature itself. Nonetheless, it is often good to by reminded of.

Never should a company be more worried than when it's finally comfortable. :wink:

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Im holding my breath on the wii. We have a wii and a 360 in our school apartment in Seattle. The wii did occupy my time in the beggining, the new control style was interetsing, however, it really isnt as novel as I expected, for anything other than wii sports, which is pretty cool, I sit on my butt and move about as much as I do for the 360. Ultimately it is about the games. I am willing to wager that the 360 will come out with motion sensor controllers before the years end.

radicalentity

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Wouldn't that be nice? 360 with motion remotes.

I think the only way the Wii can gain & hold it's ground is if it manages to keep that awe-factor. This can be accomplished through new hardware innovation or software innovation (i.e. new controllers, or new games, respectively)

Even if the Wii's long-term evolution is somewhat linear and uninteresting (which would be odd, considering Nintendo), it will most likely still make a great general entertainment piece for parties or social gatherings.

Keep in mind though, I do not own a PS3, 360, or Wii, despite having used all three of them, albeit casually.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Damnnnn you spelling Nazi's :p

:: Brain fizzles from Ninja's last post. :: :p
I'm a engineering major, not an English major. If I wanted to know how to spell, I would have stayed up in English. =P

The era of spell check is rotting the minds of today's youth. :lol:

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
IMHO Rahul is just stating the obvious, but made interesting point for Wall Street, how to know company which soon-to-be-looser :wink:

P.S. On the other side - Microsoft is so arrogant soooo long and still no real competition on desktops. At least we have Linux for enthusiasts and servers :) Mac is also too arrogant to pose threat to MS...

triatium

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Eh? Trolling? Not familiar with the term. Besides, it doesn't sound very complimentary! Reason why was asking is 'cos I have some Bleach at home, but only got up to episode 100! Its some seriously kickass anime, best Ive seen sofar (even though the number I've seen can be counted on one hand!) but still.

TRENDING THREADS