Next power for SS tank

So I hit 30 and was looking over the new power options. Nothing in the
existing sets thrilled me and I didn't really want to take Leadership or
Flight yet. Then I looked again at Knockback Punch, which is described as
being more of a disorient than a damage dealer in most refs... but now it's
described in the powers menu as having "superior" damage, and I really
needed one more good damage dealer for the set. So I took it, figuring it
was respec bait if it didn't work...

With one SO damage, it delivers twice the damage of my 1 damage/4 acc
Haymaker. (156 vs. 74 on a white minion.) A little slow to recharge, but
acceptable with Hasten running.

I decided to take a permanent pass on the two damage-boost toggles, Fiery
Embrace and Rage. I deal enough damage as it is, and can always carry a few
red Insps when I need extra oomph against a Boss.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> looked up from reading the
say:
<snip>

>With one SO damage, it delivers twice the damage of my 1 damage/4 acc
>Haymaker.

You really have 4 acc and 1 damage socketed in an attack?

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>> With one SO damage, it delivers twice the damage of my 1 damage/4 acc
>> Haymaker.

> You really have 4 acc and 1 damage socketed in an attack?

All of the consistent advice I've been given is to slot my attacks for
accuracy over damage. The reduction in misses makes up for the modest
increases in damage, as far as I can tell.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-

Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>>> With one SO damage, it delivers twice the damage of my 1 damage/4 acc
>>> Haymaker.
>
>> You really have 4 acc and 1 damage socketed in an attack?
>
>All of the consistent advice I've been given is to slot my attacks for
>accuracy over damage. The reduction in misses makes up for the modest
>increases in damage, as far as I can tell.

At the training and DO level yeah, but 2 SOs accuracy is more than
enough for most things (assuming you routinely fight purples).

Once you hit the SO level damage actually does become worth slotting, 3
damage SOs = double the unslotted damage.

I'm a big advocate of "overslotting" accuracy and I used 2 acc SOs on
Shadeling pretty much constantly from 22 to 50. [I did swap between 2/3
and 1/4 slotting on some things that needed more damage to overcome
their healing (IE AVs like Terra) and would take longer than rage
inspirations would last.]

With the boosted HP bosses have now (which also boosts their HP regen)
you need to deliver good damage or you'll be there forever - especially
on the ones that resist smashing damage.
Rikti Chief Soldiers are a good example of this - takes my tanker a long
time to beat them down because of their armor - and I do smash/energy
not just smash.

It wasn't an issue for my regen scrapper since she had effectively
infinite endurance and health anyway, so doing less damage in order to
have 2 acc SOs was no big deal since she WAS going to be able to outlast
anything.

My tanker (31 inv/em) only has one Acc per attack, plus whatever bonus
invincibility gives these days and for the most part that's enough. The
only things I miss a lot are Rikti drones, and with the difficulty set
to max, all my missions are full of red and purple cons.

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> Once you hit the SO level damage actually does become worth slotting, 3
> damage SOs = double the unslotted damage.

Huh. I missed that, somehow - I'm sure every discussion I've seen was in
favor of all Acc or 1 Dmg/rest Acc. I must have misunderstood something.

My new attack has only one Dmg and I miss frequently - maybe 40%? - even
against yellows. My others, slotted 1 Dmg and 3-5 Acc, hardly ever miss.

Maybe that's the tip-over to use my free respec (I don't have much to fix
or change, except one bad slot) - reclaim what value I can from my 30 Accs
and reslot for Damage.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:32:33 -0000, Shenanigunner
<nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote:

> Maybe that's the tip-over to use my free respec (I don't have much
> to fix or change, except one bad slot) - reclaim what value I can
> from my 30 Accs and reslot for Damage.

If you're going to be respecking anyway, that would probably be a good
idea. 2 Accs at *most* will cap you against almost anything you'll be
taking on. As you are now, I expect you could probably *hit*
something 9 or 10 levels higher than you--but you'd do them so little
damage that there's not much point.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote:
>> Maybe that's the tip-over to use my free respec (I don't have much
>> to fix or change, except one bad slot) - reclaim what value I can
>> from my 30 Accs and reslot for Damage.

> If you're going to be respecking anyway, that would probably be a good
> idea. 2 Accs at *most* will cap you against almost anything you'll be
> taking on. As you are now, I expect you could probably *hit*
> something 9 or 10 levels higher than you--but you'd do them so little
> damage that there's not much point.

Huh. I still can't figure out where I got the idea that all/most Acc was
a good idea - is that more for Blasters or Scrappers? Slotting up damage
will really help my tank.

I don't really need to respec - the only real error I have is dropping a
slot on Sprint and not taking Health and Stamina sooner, but I may as
well use the freebie to fix the order of choices, move that slot and
reclaim some value from the unneeded Accs. I'm already at the point where
Inf is piling up, so I should be able to reslot 30-31 SO across the
board.

I also completed the mission for Agent Six and !!!WOW!!! are her prices
less than the contact Philippa - more in line with the other stores. Why
in the HELL does a contact have such inflated prices - 75% or more higher
than store prices? Yow!

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:50:11 -0000, Shenanigunner
<nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>>> With one SO damage, it delivers twice the damage of my 1 damage/4 acc
>>> Haymaker.
>
>> You really have 4 acc and 1 damage socketed in an attack?
>
>All of the consistent advice I've been given is to slot my attacks for
>accuracy over damage. The reduction in misses makes up for the modest
>increases in damage, as far as I can tell.

With 2 Acc SOs, your accuracy is maxed out against most foes you could
reasonably expect to take on. There is an effective cap of 95% for
accuracy, since every attack has a 5% miss chance. Most people only use
1 SO in each attack, but I prefer 2.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:18:53 +1100, Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:

> With 2 Acc SOs, your accuracy is maxed out against most foes you
> could reasonably expect to take on. There is an effective cap of
> 95% for accuracy, since every attack has a 5% miss chance. Most
> people only use 1 SO in each attack, but I prefer 2.

I once read a post from someone who had done calculations to work out
the amount of damage per minute you could expect to get, taking misses
into account. He concluded that if you fight mostly foes near your
own level, 1 Acc + the rest Damage is optimal, but if you're in the
habit of taking on higher level often, 2 Acc is the best.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free monitor or TV set!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html

Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote:
>>> Maybe that's the tip-over to use my free respec (I don't have much
>>> to fix or change, except one bad slot) - reclaim what value I can
>>> from my 30 Accs and reslot for Damage.
>
>> If you're going to be respecking anyway, that would probably be a good
>> idea. 2 Accs at *most* will cap you against almost anything you'll be
>> taking on. As you are now, I expect you could probably *hit*
>> something 9 or 10 levels higher than you--but you'd do them so little
>> damage that there's not much point.
>
>Huh. I still can't figure out where I got the idea that all/most Acc was
>a good idea - is that more for Blasters or Scrappers? Slotting up damage
>will really help my tank.

It's a good thing to do when you're low level, since training accuracy
boosts help quite a bit, even at only 8% each, but adding 8% damage to
an attack that only does 10, is kind of pointless.

By the time you hit 22 and get SOs, the base damage has scaled up enough
that adding 33% boosts to it is worthwhile.

I've liked running 2acc SOs in attacks, just because it gives me a
little cushion, so if I have to fight someone a bit higher than
expected, or get acc debuffed (CoT), i'm not stuck missing all the time.
Missing really bugs me.

The one time it _might_ be sensible to slot 4 acc SOs, is in a special
status attack power that you REALLY need to hit every time.
I didn't take cobra strike on my scrapper and i've not taken stun on the
tanker - it's just never seemed like a necessary thing to do.
Someone who fights in a team a lot and isn't the only damage dealer
might find it hand to have an almost sure-hit stun attack though.
[Barring the annoyance that disoriented mobs STILL weeble-wobble off at
high speed when stunned. Faster than my sprint speed anyway.]

>I don't really need to respec - the only real error I have is dropping a
>slot on Sprint and not taking Health and Stamina sooner, but I may as
>well use the freebie to fix the order of choices, move that slot and
>reclaim some value from the unneeded Accs. I'm already at the point where
>Inf is piling up, so I should be able to reslot 30-31 SO across the
>board.

>I also completed the mission for Agent Six and !!!WOW!!! are her prices
>less than the contact Philippa - more in line with the other stores. Why
>in the HELL does a contact have such inflated prices - 75% or more higher
>than store prices? Yow!

They still aren't cheap though. I hit 32 tonight, though I haven't
actually picked a power yet I went shopping at Penny (mutation).
With a little over a million inf, I manage to slot up stamina with 35s,
and all my accuracy, resist and endurance reducers as well as the 6
rechargers in hasten.
Now, all my damage SOs are yellow, as are travel powers, health etc,
since I only have 10k left.

The boosted mobs from playing on max difficulty means I make more exp
and inf per mission, but I do less missions before I level so I end up
with less inf than I would have made otherwise.

Oh well, i'm still going through most enemies (except bosses) like a
chainsaw through butter, I can wait a bit to get my damage SOs upgraded/

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> Oh well, i'm still going through most enemies (except bosses) like a
> chainsaw through butter, I can wait a bit to get my damage SOs
> upgraded/

I had to drop back to Hardboiled for one tough mission - two red bosses -
and I may leave it there for a bit. Rugged made the missions where the
boss had to be taken out a little squeaky.

But yeah, with six-six-six slotted Hasten, Health and Stamina, and my
attacks slotted for damage, and the new Knockback Punch in the lineup...
chainsaw through butter. Not quite as much damage dealing as a Blaster,
but enough, especially with the enhanced durability. Fun.

I'm still amazed at how the gameplay changes with the rises in level.
Never played anything that wasn't pretty much "more of the same" as you
got higher.