Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Low Performance while Gaming?

Last response: in Windows 7
July 9, 2011 8:58:35 PM

I keep getting a windows pop up everynow and then when im gaming saying that windows has noticed my performance is really low would I like to switch to a basic etc. etc. Im not sure how this is even possible with my setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive checked my temps on both my GPU/CPU and they are all within normal range and this last time I got it while I was gaming both my GPU/CPU were under half load.

Galaxy GeForce 470 GTX
8gig of DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64x
AMD Phenom ii X4 965 Black Box Edition
2 TB Barracuda HD
NZXT Phantom Case
550W BFG Power Supply
a b 4 Gaming
a c 243 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2011 9:07:35 PM

Go to nvidia.com and download and then install the most current drivers For your GPU. Good luck!
m
l
July 9, 2011 9:11:14 PM

....... My nvidia drivers are up to date as of yesterday. version 275.33
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 243 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2011 9:22:17 PM

Download, install, update, and run malwarebytes (from malwarebytes.org). Just use the free version (say no to using the pro version for a limited time) Remove all it finds. You may have a bit of junk giving false positives. Good luck!
m
l
July 9, 2011 9:24:52 PM

Hmmm not sure if that would help tbh this is a fresh format from 2 nights ago, all of my drivers are up to date and installed. I also just ran the windows index and everything is coming back 7.5+ hence why all of this is confusing.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 243 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2011 9:28:11 PM

dethavin said:
Hmmm not sure if that would help tbh this is a fresh format from 2 nights ago, all of my drivers are up to date and installed. I also just ran the windows index and everything is coming back 7.5+ hence why all of this is confusing.

If you have been on the web, you could have picked up some junk. No harm is scanning for malware.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 243 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2011 9:29:17 PM

Also, are you overclocking anything?
m
l
July 9, 2011 10:10:32 PM

Nope I havnt touched any of that yet and tbh I am noticing some fps issues while I am gaming which is very very confusing seeing as how none of my temps are hot and the load on both the cpu and gpu are not very high at all and my drivers are up to date
m
l
July 9, 2011 10:31:15 PM

dethavin said:
Nope I havnt touched any of that yet and tbh I am noticing some fps issues while I am gaming which is very very confusing seeing as how none of my temps are hot and the load on both the cpu and gpu are not very high at all and my drivers are up to date

If I were to guess I would say that the psu is not powering your components properly.I base this on the fact that every time I get a power spike due to a storm,the low performance message pops up,although usually followed by a BSOD :D  .Now to check everything,run memtest,prime 95,check the SMART valus of your HDD with crystaldiskinfo and finally if nothing of these work,try a different power supply.
m
l
July 9, 2011 11:03:03 PM

Yeah the HD is brand new so I doubt its my HD but I will check just to make sure, but if all else fails I will get a new power supply and hopefully that helps.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
July 10, 2011 12:48:36 AM

Even brand new drives can be a problem. I recently bought an Asus G53SW laptop and was having an issue with it completely freezing for about 30 seconds. It would then *catch up* and continue running as normal. This happened about 8-9 times a day.

I quickly realized that the hard drive was the issue after I installed an SSD and put Windows on that, rather than booting from the drive that came with it. When I reconnected the magnetic based storage drive and tried to move some files from it, the system immediately showed the same behavior as before. I've replaced the drive in question with a 1TB volume and everything is working perfectly.
m
l
July 10, 2011 3:02:43 AM

i get that rarely on my laptop. i wouldnt worry too much about it unless other problems come up.
m
l
July 10, 2011 5:09:42 AM

Jesus, reinstall the OS?? What the hell for? Buy a new PSU? WHAT THE HELL FOR?
Windows shows this because it's STUPID. I get this message very occasionally, but since there are no ACTUAL performance problems, I do not care.
So as long as you don't see any slowdown yourself, just click "close the message and f**k off in the future", although the exact wording may differ.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 243 $ Windows 7
July 10, 2011 2:23:09 PM

dethavin said:

What are you doing (what game are you playing) typically when this happens? The PSU theory has some merit, but you would usually get a BSOD/shutdown if the GPU is getting insufficient power or the GPU was overheating.

Please provide some additional details (like graphics settings of the games being played).
m
l
July 10, 2011 9:05:20 PM

Jay_83 said:
Jesus, reinstall the OS?? What the hell for? Buy a new PSU? WHAT THE HELL FOR?
Windows shows this because it's STUPID. I get this message very occasionally, but since there are no ACTUAL performance problems, I do not care.
So as long as you don't see any slowdown yourself, just click "close the message and f**k off in the future", although the exact wording may differ.

He mentioned lower gaming performance too.Also,it doesn't show this because it is STUPID,it shows this because it detects that the available resources are not enough(usually because they are used elsewhere).

Borrowing a psu to test the pc though would be fine in case every other test hasn't showed abnormalities.
m
l
!