owdee

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
hi everyone, when i initially got my GA-965GM-S2 i put both of my memory sticks in their respective red DIMMs to enable dual-channel mode. the system refused to POST. i took one of the sticks out (the one in DIMM 3) and it would POST without any problem. so i thought it must be a bad memory stick so i sent them back for replacement. today i got my replacements and the same thing happened. this time, i moved both sticks to DIMM 1 and 2 to see what would happen. sure enough, it would POST perfectly in single-channel. i then moved both to DIMM 3 and 4 and it refused to POST. my board still has BIOS rev F1 on it. does anyone think that if i flashed it with F4, it would fix my problem, or should i just have the board replaced?

thanks for your advise

P.S. - sorry if all of that was confusing

latinadonis

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I have the same board, and haven't had a problem running dual channel on 2x512 corsair xms2 ddr675, booted up fine with F1 bios and F4 bios, and my ram even runs off spec (albeit slightly) w/a 1.9v voltage.

I'm not a huge expert but I don't think much "prognosis" can be given on the board without knowing more info about the ram your using (what make/model of ram? voltage? etc), for all you know, you might just have an incompatibility between the mobo and the ram. Check here and see if the make/brand is listed for starters http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-965gm-s2.pdf

hope this helps

owdee

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
thanks for your reply, i am trying to use 2x512 g skill RAM that does run at 1.8V but it is not on the compatibilty list. i suppose i could try some RAM that is on that list. i kind of feel stupid for trying memory that isnt officially supported, but i am still perplexed by its ability to run in single channel, but not dual.