Do I hvae a bad PSU ?

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
So I just bought a Thermaltake Toughpower 700W. I have noticed that I can not get a stable oc on my C2D 6300 like I was able to with my old Antec Smatpower before it died. Now that I have the cpu back to factory settings its still not stable. When I go to shut Windows down or log off it takes 5min sometimes just to load up the standby turn off or restart screen. So I downloaded SpeedFan and I am receiving a Vcore reading anywhere between .94 and 1.35 but mainly under 1.00. So is this my problem or if not what could it be that is causing my computer to take for ever to get to the shut down screen and then take even longer to auctually shut down. Thanks

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Yeah I used a program that erases everything on the drive and restores it to the way it was when it was shiped to me then did a fresh install.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Also try - check your bios (options) maybe you changed something without knowing that you did.

PSU can damage your system components when it starts going bad. I had a Turbolink 420W (crapy psu) damage one of my motherboards years ago. I built it for a customer of my. The only thing that i had to replace was the motherboard and nothing else.

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
ok so im running the memtest program as I type this and if that all comes back good then is their any way that the bad pu could have damaged my cpu

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
ok so i think the memory is good. I put a known good psu in my system and the Vcore is still around .94 One thing I have noticed is that sometimes I can go to power down my machine and like I said earlier it takes forever and then other times it acts like normal and that behavior is with both of the psu i have tried. It seems like the longer the computer is on the longer it takes to bring up the shut down screen.

thanks

kpretired

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I have a pc that keeps abruptly shutting down after being on about 3 minutes. This is a system that I built a couple of years ago. I suspect it is the PSU. Is there any kind of test to see if it is the PSU. Also, I noiticed you mentioned memtest. I went to that page, but did not know which one to down load. Which one is the most user friendliest and how do you run it?